Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...ouch. I knew about the Jewish stuff, but not Vietnam!!
Billy Graham was very anti communist and supported US foreign policy to stop the spread of communism. That’s really about as political as he got. He was also very anti lgbt. I think his couple Jewish remarks in private conversation can be forgiven since he was very friendly to Jews through out his life. With the exception to the more modern movement of lgbt rights, Graham was a positive in the civil rights movements.

Graham was a religious advisor to every president for what, 50 years? I think it’s fine if they let him lie in honor at the Capitol, he had a huge impact on this country and our world, whether someone likes him or not. I’m not a Christian, but I don’t have a problem with this.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
The separation of church and state in American only applies to "those other religions" - it's OK for a "religious" pastor who was worth $25 million at the time of death to lie in state because he's the "right" religion.

Billy Graham Net Worth: Evangelist Billy Graham Died Age 99 | Money

Blessed are the poor... hahaha... not.

He also hated the LGBTQ community, so I hardly even consider him a Christian.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...people-n850031

Just another guy who used religion as a road to money and power.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Hypocrite graham and his right wing nut son shouldn’t be given any special favors by the government. He mentioned to Nixon about his hate for the Jews. The man had issues.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You have the right of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
So long as the "religious" keep their religion out of my government and laws, I don't care what they do. Sadly, they seem unable to do that, particularly these days.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
"The Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol has been considered the most suitable place for the nation to pay final tribute to its most eminent citizens by having their remains lay in state or in honor"

There is no mention of politics or religion as 'selection criteria' . Congress allows use of the Rotunda for those chosen. Henry Clay was the first in 1852, followed by Abraham Lincoln and others. Presidents, generals, unknown soldiers from major wars, civil rights leaders (Rosa Parks and the only woman), congressmen, law enforcement officers and now Billy Graham.

"By regulation and custom, only Presidents, military commanders, and members of Congress are granted the honor of lying in state. Except for Presidents and former Presidents, the honor is not automatic. Not all those entitled to the honor have it accepted by their survivors. The first leader to receive this honor was Henry Clay, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, when he died in 1852. Since then, the honor has been extended to thirty-one people, including eleven Presidents." Wiki

There is a distinction between 'lain in state' and 'lain in honor'.

Two capitol guards, Jacob Chestnut and John Gibson, Rosa Parks, and Billy Graham have or will be lain in honor.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Billy Graham was very anti communist and supported US foreign policy to stop the spread of communism. That’s really about as political as he got. He was also very anti lgbt. I think his couple Jewish remarks in private conversation can be forgiven since he was very friendly to Jews through out his life. With the exception to the more modern movement of lgbt rights, Graham was a positive in the civil rights movements.

Graham was a religious advisor to every president for what, 50 years? I think it’s fine if they let him lie in honor at the Capitol, he had a huge impact on this country and our world, whether someone likes him or not. I’m not a Christian, but I don’t have a problem with this.
Why should his Jewish remarks be forgiven? Nah..hell no.

Jesse Jackson said Hymietown...it’s still used against him. Sharpton said “diamond merchants” once. Still used against him.

You don’t get a break because you’re white.

And what pastor would push the idea of killing people in a foreign nation that never did anything wrong to his country?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 AM

977 posts, read 567,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I had nothing against the man personally, but Billy Graham was a private citizen and religious figure not a politician, so why is he being afforded a priviledge normally reserved for Presidents and National political leaders?
One can argue that he doesn't deserve the honor, but it certainly is NOT a Constitutional issue. Separation of church and state is not a phrase that appears anywhere in the Constitution. It is the upshot of the First Amendments freedom of religion clause, though. What it means is that there is not to be any sanctioned state religion. It does not mean that religious figures cannot be part of government. It does not mean that prayers cannot be offered at government functions. It certainly doesn't mean that a pastor of a church cannot be given the honor of a viewing at the Capitol when he dies.

There is a second clause in the First Amendment that deals with religion, one often forgotten about by those who espouse separation of church and state. That is of course the free exercise clause. The Federal government cannot promote any specific religion, but via this free exercise clause, it cannot punish anyone or sanction them because of their practice of a particular religion either. Government cannot sanction religion, but nor can it be anti-religion either. If a person like Graham would receive an honor, but he is denied that honor simply because he's a pastor, then that would seem to me to be a violation of the free expression clause.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Separation of church and state is a myth. There is only guarantee of no state sponsored religion. C'mon Libs education man!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
To the OP's point, the US Constitution is not violated by honoring a religious man at the US Capital for the good he brought to many 10s of millions.

To the complainers, lighten up. Being constantly outraged and miserable isn't good for your health.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
To the OP's point, the US Constitution is not violated by honoring a religious man at the US Capital for the good he brought to many 10s of millions.

To the complainers, lighten up. Being constantly outraged and miserable isn't good for your health.
But you know what, if they didn't have that they wouldn't have anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies