Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Do those facts include performance and efficacy?

Cars we want to know how fast they can go from 0 to 60 or what kind of gas mileage, etc.

Chain saws, how effectively they cut through tree limbs.

If the AR-15 performs so well as to be practically indispensable, why are the OP and others so determined to downplay that performance?

If the gun isn’t an effective killing machine, why are people so desperate to keep (buying) them?

You don't have a Constitutional right to a car.

This thread isn't about "downplaying" the performance of the AR so much as to counter the overstated performance by the anti gun left.

And the VAST majority of AR owners aren't using them as "killing machines".

Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Sooooo, the Left gets Universal Healthcare, paid for by taxes by everybody.. and the Right gets the 2a.

Now, mentally unstable persons, can be treated again without funding problems.
There are many people with mental health issues NOT being covered. Many of them do not go off killing others, they simply kill themselves. I've also argued that we need to have the discussion whether or not we can do more about a James Holmes. I believe we can but we won't unless that is the discussion.

While we argue over something that isn't going to happen there are other James Holmes out there. We can not ban guns. It is not going to happen. There are things we can do that will help many people but we prefer to argue things that are not going to change anything.

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You don't have a Constitutional right to a car.

This thread isn't about "downplaying" the performance of the AR so much as to counter the overstated performance by the anti gun left.

You don't have a constitutional right to an AR.

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Brevik used a Ruger mini-14, and killed 77 kids in Norway. Thats 1/3 the price of a AR-15.
A Mini-14 isn't an AR, you said AR Mr. Slidey Goalpost guy.

Quote:
30 rounds is higher capacity then 3 or 5.
And lower than any number above 31. So what's objectively high? My 870 hold 7 in the tube and one in the chamber is that a high capacity shotgun?

Quote:
Ammo is cheap.. its relative.
Indeed it is, but it's also subjective. There are cheaper cartridges than 223 Rem/5.56mm NATO do you dispute that? If not its purely your opinion.

Quote:
When shooting across 60 fot room, you dont need much accuracy. And the AR-15 hardly recoils! .
Doesn't matter you said point and shoot to 300 yards Mr. Slidey Goalpost guy. Recoil isn't huge but exists, and even slight recoil when uncompensated for will have you shooting at the floor or sky.

Quote:
Look at the ballistics. Point and shoot. Put a aimpoint on that thing and you aim center mass 300 yards is easy.
Not so with a handgun or shotgun.
If you put an Aimpoint on it as a novice you're no better off, you'd need to zero it, that's beyond novice and it isn't part of a stock AR Mr. Slidey Goalpost guy, plus it's a $500 aiming aid adding to the cost and demolishing your whole "cheap" angle.

Oh and just for fun...
https://youtu.be/lLk1v5bSFPw

12 shots 6 seconds revolver. No one is saying you can't fire 30 rounds in 5 seconds with any semi auto, but not the novice who just bought a gun to shoot up the school.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-25-2018 at 07:21 AM..

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I agree with you.

But the question that NO ONE wants to answer, or even address, is why do so many of these mass shooters choose this type of weapon?

I must have asked that question at least 5 times on this board in the last 10 days and no one answers.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Again.. picking on minute details don´t win you the discussion.
Neither does pulling rate of fire numbers out of your backside.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with you.

But the question that NO ONE wants to answer, or even address, is why do so many of these mass shooters choose this type of weapon?

I must have asked that question at least 5 times on this board in the last 10 days and no one answers.
My guess is because of the way we have demonized it. There are millions of them available. How do you propose we make them not available? Even during the "ban" you could legally purchase them.

Do you really believe in a situation that is never going to happen but if they were not available that those who decide to do harm are going to just go on with their lives?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You don't have a constitutional right to an AR.

The 2nd amendment does not limit the type of arms....in fact it says quite the opposite.

When the 2nd amendment was written, private citizens owned all manner of arms, including artillery and battleships.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
My guess is because of the way we have demonized it. There are millions of them available. How do you propose we make them not available? Even during the "ban" you could legally purchase them.

Do you really believe in a situation that is never going to happen but if they were not available that those who decide to do harm are going to just go on with their lives?
Time is how you get them out of the market. Pass a bill and stop legal sales.

It may take a couple of decades but it will happen. This conversation and incidents may not have happened if the GOP renewed the AW Ban.

Nothing happens right away. Time is the key.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with you.

Why do people buy BMWs? When there are better cars for the money, or cheaper cars that meet or exceed their performance?

Because people have an image that they are trying to achieve. Same with shooters choosing an AR. The press and gun control groups have both vilified and popularized America's rifle (and it is in truth). So folks with no knowledge at least know about AR-15s, and can go and by name buy one (and I'd bet those doing thus also know the name Bushmaster). So why my opinion is firmly on pro-gun control supporters vilify in it. After all its not the most accurate, reliable, or powerful rifle there is. It's adequate and a modern day gun owners erector set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies