Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I saw a graph of the income tax over the last 100 years or so. There was definitely a marked lowering of taxes in the 1960's. Then again in the 1980's, another lowering.

Is there any other reason for why there has been more criminal activity in the same time frame?

People talk about the days of the past when the streets were safer for children to walk in, etc. The streets are less safe now, even though people are living in more secured homes and communities.

People are buying more and more guns.

Community centers (churches, etc) have also gotten bigger and more organized it seems like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 05:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I saw a graph of the income tax over the last 100 years or so. There was definitely a marked lowering of taxes in the 1960's. Then again in the 1980's, another lowering.

Is there any other reason for why there has been more criminal activity in the same time frame?

People talk about the days of the past when the streets were safer for children to walk in, etc. The streets are less safe now, even though people are living in more secured homes and communities.

Community centers (churches, etc) have also gotten bigger and more organized it seems like.
Plenty of factors enter into the equation not mentioned.
Trying to isolate something as the "smoking gun" is meaningless.
It might work on the weak and feeble mind.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:

No, crime is lower now than it has been in at least 45 years. The perception that crime is worse is what's going up.

George Bush cut taxes in 2001 and 2003, yet the crime rate kept going down.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
No, crime is lower now than it has been in at least 45 years. The perception that crime is worse is what's going up.

George Bush cut taxes in 2001 and 2003, yet the crime rate kept going down.
That graph shows a very favorable impression of the Bill Clinton and Barak Obama years, if you look at it again.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:50 PM

If my premise is incorrect, then how do you account for the fact that people are locking their doors more these days?

Why don't people let their children walk home alone anymore? Or even play outside by themselves? If it really is so much safer now.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
If my premise is incorrect, then how do you account for the fact that people are locking their doors more these days?

Why don't people let their children walk home alone anymore? Or even play outside by themselves? If it really is so much safer now.

I think it's due to the perception of our of control crime. With 24/7 worldwide
News at our fingertips we now get to read about everything everywhere.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
OP is a simple logical fallacy.

i.e. Makes the broad jump to conclusions that just because two events happened at the same time, one was responsible for causing the other.

In this case low taxes = more crime.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:

Because people like you keep telling them how dangerous it is compared to the past. Despite evidence otherwise.

Because the news talks about it all the time.

If you want a MUCH better correlation/causation for it....look at the removal of lead from gasoline.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...creases-crime/

Watch crime go insane in Flint in the future due to their water issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
OP is a simple logical fallacy.

i.e. Makes the broad jump to conclusions that just because two events happened at the same time, one was responsible for causing the other.

In this case low taxes = more crime.
*looks at WaldoKitty*
Me and you are agreeing WAY too much today. Who are you, and what did you do to WaldoKitty?

Old 03-01-2018, 05:27 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because people like you keep telling them how dangerous it is compared to the past. Despite evidence otherwise.

Because the news talks about it all the time.

If you want a MUCH better correlation/causation for it....look at the removal of lead from gasoline.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...creases-crime/

Watch crime go insane in Flint in the future due to their water issues

*looks at WaldoKitty*
Me and you are agreeing WAY too much today. Who are you, and what did you do to WaldoKitty?
Count me in, at least regarding this.

I think there are many factors that lead to more or less crime (or our perception of more or less, as LeaveWI said), and to say that it is a direct result of almost any single thing is a bit disingenuous.

As for lead, I can buy that. There is an actual physical explanation behind that reasoning.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
That graph shows a very favorable impression of the Bill Clinton and Barak Obama years, if you look at it again.
Years when the GOP controlled the Congress and could partially stop their liberal policies. Don't forget you've spent the last 7 years wailing that the evil Republicans were the 'party of no' and blocking anything Obama wanted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies