Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would taxpayers need to even a penny?
Who would pay for it then?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The Left hates guns, period. They know almost nothing about them, but they hate them and fear them. Even trained armed guards gives them a case of The Vapors.
I'm a moderate, but I lean left. I do not hate guns. I have owned guns, I know how to shoot. I'm even a good shooter.

Nobody gets all Scarlet O'Hara over the idea of guns handled by law enforcement officers, not in particular.

Most schools of any size have resource officers and they are armed.

No, what people do not want is to militarize schools or make them feel like prison camps.

Or to have armed teachers. Teachers are there to teach, not to fend off hostiles.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So have criminal penalties for officers who fail to act.
Oh, come on.

Officers are human beings.

Sometimes, people freeze up. Sometimes, their assessment of a situation is not accurate.

Sometimes, they accidentally shoot people, etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Inside the school doesn't do much good. An armed guard needs to be stationed outside every school entrance. And just like corporations do, kids should be issued security badges that allow them to go into the school. No badge, then you can't get in and someone in security will need to manually check you in.

Badging procedures, while a PITA, do work or at least help. The need is to keep the bad guys, the crazy kids carrying guns, out (and of course disarm these crazies before they can do any harm to anyone, if possible). The added element of an armed guard at every entrance would be a huge deterrent.

C'mon all you 2nd amendment machine gun toting people -- sign up to stand guard at your local schools! Don't whine on the Interwebs, go protect the kids with your well loved AR-15s.
I have been thinking that badges would really help. We have them for public and private sector buildings. Now, I realize some kid could get his/her badge stolen or they could lose it, but is that really a reason not to have them?

Give kids penalties. Make them pay for replacement badges, assign them lunch detention, etc.

They can hang on to a smart phone, they can sure keep an eye on a badge.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
There was an armed cop at the Parkland shooting and he did nothing. Did you hear about it?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have been thinking that badges would really help. We have them for public and private sector buildings. Now, I realize some kid could get his/her badge stolen or they could lose it, but is that really a reason not to have them?

Give kids penalties. Make them pay for replacement badges, assign them lunch detention, etc.

They can hang on to a smart phone, they can sure keep an eye on a badge.
I could see High School kids having this responsibility, but not so much elementary school kids or even some middle school kids.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So they just want to murder children so that they can push their gun control agenda?
You said it. If it furthers their narrative, yes.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
So the so called better schools should become like the schools in the poor neighborhoods that people are always putting down? They should have metal detectors at every entrance, armed guards patrolling the halls, maybe even stop and frisk if a person is acting suspicious?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm a moderate, but I lean left. I do not hate guns. I have owned guns, I know how to shoot. I'm even a good shooter.

Nobody gets all Scarlet O'Hara over the idea of guns handled by law enforcement officers, not in particular.

Most schools of any size have resource officers and they are armed.

No, what people do not want is to militarize schools or make them feel like prison camps.

Or to have armed teachers. Teachers are there to teach, not to fend off hostiles.
You were doing great until that last sentence.

There are some teachers who have no problem with being armed. Some of those teachers are even already qualified. There are others that would train and carry if they were allowed. There are still others that do want want to carry any weapons whatsoever. There is nothing wrong with that either.

So a much less expensive solution would be to let the teachers conceal carry who want to conceal carry. Then place conspicuous signs at the entrances stating some staff is armed and this school protects their kids with deadly force if necessary.

That in no way prevents a teacher from teaching. The big payoff is that 95% of all hostiles will pick an easier target. That's a BIG win. The 5% who still would enter and start shooting regardless of the signs would be taken care of well before they can kill as many as they would have otherwise. The schools also would not have any reason to resemble a prison. I think it is a win-win solution.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Gun laws work.

Australia has had ZERO mass shooting since they changed their gun laws.

What about Mexico? No gun laws don't work. Australia was quite safe before their laws change. The UK was safer a century ago than today and a century ago their gun laws were like ours. Gun laws won't solve our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies