Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:21 PM

13,995 posts, read 5,652,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So this law will make various hunting firearms, both rifles and shotguns, illegal.

Guns like the Browning Maxus, Silver and new Auto 5. The Remington 1100 series and Versa Max. The Beretta A300. All shotguns.

The Browning BAR and Remington 750 in rifles.
Anything besides:
  • pump action shotgun
  • breach load shotgun
  • revolver
  • bolt action rifle
  • lever action rifle
If the weapon uses any energy from the fired cartridge/shell to cycle the action and reload, then it is banned. Basically, every semiautomatic weapon ever made, and I think they added "crank operated" in case someone had the idea of turning a bunch of rifle barrels and some welding knowledge into a Gatling gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM

45,513 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Anything besides:
  • pump action shotgun
  • breach load shotgun
  • revolver
  • bolt action rifle
  • lever action rifle
If the weapon uses any energy from the fired cartridge/shell to cycle the action and reload, then it is banned. Basically, every semiautomatic weapon ever made, and I think they added "crank operated" in case someone had the idea of turning a bunch of rifle barrels and some welding knowledge into a Gatling gun.

And yet "We don't want your hunting guns".

Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
LOL.. my gun just farted. A gas assisted firearm uses the gasses from the discharge to recock and reload itself, rather than having to manually recock, for example a revolver. Even revolvers can be semiautomatic though.. you just pull the trigger again with more force to fire. Regardless, this senator is not going to gain any ground with this bill. This is just another slippery slope in which they plan to take away even more gun rights after this.

The most destructive killing machine one can have for person on person killing is a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot, and this isn't even gas powered.. it's powered by that cocking action we all know so well. It might not have the highest round capacity but one direct chest shot with 00 buck is almost a guaranteed stop and/or kill, not to mention guaranteed hearing loss of done indoors. You can bet they'd be after those next. There's no end.. it's just a slippery slope, which is why it's best to not cave on anything concerned with banning this or banning that.

More safety courses? I don't mind. Better vetting on making sure undesirables don't get access? I suppose. Banning a type of gun because it looks scary? No thanks. I could argue maybe magazine size should be capped at 10-15 rounds.. I could go either way on that one.. I suspect at some point they are going to get their way on that one and force me to give up my 30 round mags for my AR-15. They even have 50-100 round drum mags for the ruger 10/22 .22LR rifle. I suppose those would be out as well. Big brother doesn't want people hurting anyone after all. Safety nannies know what's best!

If someone manages to smuggle an AR-15 into a school it takes a few seconds to reload a 10 round magazine.. I would assume nobody would even bother to try to tackle him though as he's reloading so if he brought a few magazines with him it solves nothing, which is why I say.. republicans don't cave on gun laws.. make sure Trump doesn't either.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-01-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 02:28 PM

8,391 posts, read 4,386,070 times
Ever heard of a "pump action"?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
LOL.. my gun just farted. A gas assisted firearm uses the gasses from the discharge to recock itself, rather than having to manually recock, for example a revolver. Even revolvers can be semiautomatic though.. you just pull the trigger again with more force to fire. Regardless, this senator is not going to gain any ground with this bill. This is just another slippery slope in which they plan to take away even more gun rights after this.
Per highlighted, no, revolvers cannot be semiautomatic. In a typical 6 shot wheel revolver, you have 6 chambers, and each chamber must be manually reloaded. The "revolving" action does not reload any chamber, it simply rotates the wheel to the next chamber. To reload, you have to open the action, manually eject the spent casings, manually insert the new rounds, and manually close the action. Nothing at all semiautomatic about revolvers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The most destructive killing machine one can have for person on person killing is a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot, and this isn't even gas powered.. it's powered by that cocking action we all know so well. You can bet they'd be after those next. There's no end.. it's just a slippery slope, which is why it's best to not cave on anything concerned with banning this or banning that.
Inside 30 yards, yeah, a 12 gauge is hard to beat. It's my primary home defense weapon of choice. Slugs or buckshot, doesn't really matter. You wreck whatever it hits.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:37 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,899,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Seriously? You don't know?

Even I know that it's referring to automatic and semiautomatic fire arms.

Don't look now, but you've lost some conservative cred here....

It's a fair question
I didn't know either...

Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Dem Senator wants to ban “gas assisted firearms”

Maybe we could ban hot-air spewing politicians instead?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:45 PM

24,547 posts, read 17,303,484 times
Basically the Dems want to ban and outlaw every semi auto firearm and have us rely on revolvers, pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles until they realize that those can also be used to kill when they are in the hands of dangerous people.

They would have us all back to single shot muskets until they realize that a trained man during the Civil war could load and take 3 aimed shots in one minute. Of course when these percussion rifles were not being shot they made good clubs and when a bayonet was on the end watch out! They were deadly in the hands of a trained man and would be equally deadly in the hands of a 21st century dangerous person intent on murder.

I wonder if they will make a special consideration for BB guns and paint ball guns that use C02 ?

With such a ridiculous bill as this is there any wonder that the NRA pushes back so hard on what the Left calls common sense gun laws/ gun bans?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's a fair question
I didn't know either...
I'd wager the majority of people in the discussion don't really have that much of a clue about how semiautomatic weapons function, be they rifles, pistols or shotguns. I do all my own firearm maintenance and repair, so I do know out of necessity, but most people I know have no freaking idea how firearms operate, even a lot of pro-gun, pro-2A folks.

And saying "gas powered, semiautomatic rifle" is like saying "human powered, ten speed bicycle." It's redundant, needlessly over-descriptive, and pointlessly dramatic. My buddy blames Ed Norton for saying it in "Fight Club" to sound cool.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,603,451 times
Going be hard to do any of this with Republicans controlling the White House and Congress. That’s why you get a bunch of loudmouth Dems telling everybody how they want “this” and “that”...no chance of it actually happening but they want the brownie points with their base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies