Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:59 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

How sweet, using violence to further your twisted values. Further proof our nation is slowly heading down the gutter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-gener...100000522.html

Quote:
The protest at Mariachi Plaza didn’t seem, at first, like a declaration of war.

In fact, the Feb. 7 event looked like the same sort of grassroots, anti-gentrification gathering that might have taken place in any big American city at any point over the past 10 years as higher-income transplants have increasingly colonized lower-income urban communities, remaking once marginalized neighborhoods in their own cold-brew-and-kombucha image.

But this one was different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
In the long run money always wins. They can delay but they will be worn down.
Money trumps everything except death.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How sweet, using violence to further your twisted values. Further proof our nation is slowly heading down the gutter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-gener...100000522.html
I don't agree with violent tactics, but I sympathize completely with their feelings. What's twisted about not wanting to be priced out of their neighborhood? This has been going on for ages, and it's not just millennials, particularly those of color, who are hurt by it. Often the first victims of such price increases are elderly people who have inhabited the newly "hot" neighborhood for decades. To make matters worse, increasingly, there is no place for them to go in these cities, because there isn't any affordable housing left - it's all been taken over. Pretty soon, most of our cities will be nothing but luxury condos and decaying high-rise projects, with no middle class or working class inhabitants at all.

Like I said, I don't like the tactics described, but if I were in their shoes, I might just feel differently about that. If my rent had gone up $600 in a single year, I am pretty sure I would.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Anyone can be priced out of their “home” by rising rents and/or property taxes. The lesson: nobody is entitled to the place where they live. Everyone is at the mercy of market forces and/or the tax man.

This is America. You are not a person, you are a resource to be exploited. Now stop complaining and get back to work.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Wonder why they aren't going to Nancy Pelosi's district?

If there was ever an example of it, that's it.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
I generally don't like the way gentrified neighborhoods look, even though I am technically the target demographic for them. Take Phoenix for example... There are a ton of old, eclectic, "lived in" neighborhoods near the city center. Single-family, 1940s-1960s style homes with large yards and unique style. I really love the look and feel of these areas compared to the gentrified areas where luxury apartments and condos are going up... these new places all have that trendy, generic, sterile look to them. They're just bleh...

Fortunately, flipping the SFH's with updated style appears to be on the rise. If I were in the market there, I would absolutely go for one of those as opposed to the apartments/condos.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Good for them, let them have a go at trying to save their neighborhood from invaders that want to displace them.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I generally don't like the way gentrified neighborhoods look, even though I am technically the target demographic for them. Take Phoenix for example... There are a ton of old, eclectic, "lived in" neighborhoods near the city center. Single-family, 1940s-1960s style homes with large yards and unique style. I really love the look and feel of these areas compared to the gentrified areas where luxury apartments and condos are going up... these new places all have that trendy, generic, sterile look to them. They're just bleh...

Fortunately, flipping the SFH's with updated style appears to be on the rise. If I were in the market there, I would absolutely go for one of those as opposed to the apartments/condos.
This is how it usually goes. An interesting neighborhood is discovered, found to be unique and charming, and before you know it, the new development has displaced all of that and turned it into another soulless little Disney. Then, the people who killed the goose move on, in search of other golden eggs.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 AM

736 posts, read 353,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Anyone can be priced out of their “home” by rising rents and/or property taxes. The lesson: nobody is entitled to the place where they live. Everyone is at the mercy of market forces and/or the tax man.

This is America. You are not a person, you are a resource to be exploited. Now stop complaining and get back to work.
Unless you want to be a prisoner in your own country like the elite in brazil, mexico, ect, then you are better off finding a solution. The majority of people who can afford housing in these new expensive areas are well off, but they aren't rich. They can't afford bullet proof cars or armed bodyguards 24 hours a day. People will turn to crime like in Mexico, Brazil, Latin America, Africa, ect. Considering the recent massacres I wouldn't be surprise if someone loses their senses and starts targeting the well off. The masses will eventually turn on the elite. It has happen in the past and will happen in the future.

Recently, Apple employees in company transported buses have been fired on by an unknown person or group of people.

You can read the report from BBC here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42738709

It seems some locals have had enough and are resorting to using firearms.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:33 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
These hipsters who come to these newly gentrified areas are mostly white lefties, who are supposed to care about the poor and oppressed yet they are driving the oppression. So they can have their art galleries and hipster delis they are willing to displace poor minorities and the elderly. Even if some can manage to stay the hipsters tear down their neighborhoods making it an alien place to the natives.

The gentrifiers know exactly what they are doing, they may claim to want diversity but they do what they can to make it uncomfortable to impossible for the original neighborhood people to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies