Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times

Advertisements

From USA Today-

"Former LSU running back Derrius Guice said in an interview Wednesday that one NFL team asked about his sexuality and another inquired if his mother was a prostitute at the NFL Scouting Combine that concluded earlier this week.

‘’It was pretty crazy," Guice said in an interview on the SiriusXM NFL show Late Hits. "Some people are really trying to get in your head and test your reaction. ... I go in one room, and a team will ask me do I like men, just to see my reaction. I go in another room, they’ll try to bring up one of my family members or something and tell me, 'Hey, I heard your mom sells herself. How do you feel about that?’ "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iew/405776002/

How do you folks feel about the appropriateness of these questions?

IMHO the NFL is acting upset over the questions when I suspect they're just upset over being outed for asking them. I suspect the players on the field say much worse things to each other to try to get into an opposing players head and affect their judgement while playing. Coaches probably like to know just how sensitive to provocation a potential candidate is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
It is not unuasal for coaches to ask "off the wall" questions at the combine, however the league issued a warning a few years ago when someone asked a prospect about his sexual orientation. It somewhat implies if one is gay he is unwanted. There is also language in the leagues CBA pertaining to sexual orientation and non-discrimination.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Among other things, the NFL is one of the most homophobic organizations in the USA.

The OP proves it.

It's quite ironic they are bending the knee for equal rights & treatment.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Among other things, the NFL is one of the most homophobic organizations in the USA.

The OP proves it.

Two years ago an openly gay player was drafted. What does that prove?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:58 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It is not unuasal for coaches to ask "off the wall" questions at the combine, however the league issued a warning a few years ago when someone asked a prospect about his sexual orientation. It somewhat implies if one is gay he is unwanted. There is also language in the leagues CBA pertaining to sexual orientation and non-discrimination.
But how are you going to stop it on the field? I grew up playing soccer into college and taunting another player about their mother or their manhood was one of the most effective tools possible to get under their skin during a game. The coaches attitude was always "don't get caught".

Last edited by Dockside; 03-08-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Two years ago an openly gay player was drafted. What does that prove?
And they cut him that same season.

He now plays in Canada.

That proves plenty. Thank you for proving my point.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:

The OP proves it.

Actually it is not. Statistically speaking it is highly probable every NFL team has one or two gay players. In many cases they are out to some of their teammates. Most likely it is fan reaction and media circus that would follow if the came out publicly. Same reason they stay closeted even after their careers are over.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:12 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:

He now plays in Canada.

B.S. He got cut because of talent.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:

He now plays in Canada.

Micheal Sam was to small and slow for the NFL. He also did not laat long in thr CFL. He walked away on his own.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Actually it is not. Statistically speaking it is highly probable every NFL team has one or two gay players. In many cases they are out to some of their teammates. Most likely it is fan reaction and media circus that would follow if the came out publicly. Same reason they stay closeted even after their careers are over.
Are they Openly Gay - Nope. Did the things get said in the OP that clearly is homophobic - Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies