Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 AM

775 posts, read 741,232 times

Advertisements

How do you logically defend politicians openly basing their policy on traditional values?

Appeal to Tradition is the oldest logical fallacy in the book. Something being old does not have any inherent effect on its validity. It's just a byproduct of our tribalistic, primal evolutionary instinct, because staying in stable hunting environments was necessary to our survival when climate conditions were constant. And it happens to most effect...the same people who don't believe in Evolution.

And here's the kicker: your traditional values don't actually exist. In fact, they are very recent, progressive inventions.

Do you want to know what the real traditional family was? It depends on how far back you go. Polygamy used to be a stable tradition -- it even appears in the Old Testament. For most of Western history, girls would be arranged to marry old men when they were as young as 14 or 15 years of age. Teens having sex today is nontraditional? Give me a break; back then, they were forced to do it all the time!

So let me ask you a question:

Why do you pick and choose what traditions to follow? Why should we value the wisdom of the same people who married their daughters off at 15, opposed women's suffrage and owned black people as slaves?

PS. Interesting fact: conservative states have the highest teen pregnancy and divorce rates.

Last edited by Sci Fi Fan; 10-13-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Social mores change with time. I think in the context of most, "traditional" refers to recent or current mores.

The practice isn't limited to the GOP - the democrats have their own family values. Their family just has two illegal moms and a transgender child living in Section 8 housing attending Berkley on a full scholarship paid for courtesy of me.

See what happens when you generalize?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The practice isn't limited to the GOP - the democrats have their own family values. Their family just has two illegal moms and a transgender child living in Section 8 housing attending Berkley on a full scholarship paid for courtesy of me.
Ooohhh, a hard working poor kid wants to attend Berkley, how dare you help him achieve his dreams! It's his fault that he is poor and illegal. Go American Dream!

Now since when did you pay for others' scholarships to a private university?

Quote:
See what happens when you generalize?
Don't give me any of this "generalizing" crap. That conservatives focus heavily on traditional values isn't some radical liberal conspiracy; I can look up website names, official party platforms and quotes from republican politicians if you wish.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Touched a nerve. Maybe my generalization was a little too close to home for you.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Touched a nerve. Maybe my generalization was a little too close to home for you.
I love how, after I explain why your "generalization" argument is full of s-, you respond by...restating your generalization argument!

Do you conservatives have any intellectual integrity, or ability to logically respond to rebuttals with a coherent argument?

Don't answer that. It's called a "rhetorical question".

And while my life hardly has anything to do with your example, the fact that you'd consider insulting someone for (allegedly) being poor and born into an illegal family is disgusting.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM

I'm sure I could find quoted positions from Pelosi or Waters or other leaders consistent with my generalization.

My position is you can do whatever makes you happy as long as you're paying for it.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Poor isn't a crime but "poor and illegal" seems like a crime. Raising my taxes to subsidize their criminal behavior is criminal in my mind.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Poor and illegal isn't a crime. Raising my taxes to subsidize their criminal behavior is criminal in my mind.
How is a kid going to college on a scholarship a criminal activity? Just curious.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I could find quoted positions from Pelosi or Waters or other leaders consistent with my generalization.
Go ahead.

Quote:
My position is you can do whatever makes you happy as long as you're paying for it.
So you support gay marriage, prostitution and drugs, I'll assume.

Quote:
Poor isn't a crime but "poor and illegal" seems like a crime. Raising my taxes to subsidize their criminal behavior is criminal in my mind.
The child is criminal because his parents are illegal? That's news to me.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How is a kid going to college on a scholarship a criminal activity? Just curious.
As long as it's private dollars it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies