Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM

27,788 posts, read 16,303,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Elon Musk, the new conservative darling, because he agreed with Trump.....lmao
Ive always liked Elon. Certainlly the oposite what you say will happen. D's will probably shun and hate him now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,453,959 times
Musk must be applying for some more government handouts.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 AM

25,905 posts, read 16,634,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Obama mostly surrounded himself with Democrat Party hacks, lobbyists, and academicians, and maybe a Wall Street guy. I have seen Democrats do this time, and time again at the state level. Republicans tend to recruit subject matter experts from the Private Sector. That was part of Obama's problem, but he always thought he was the smartest guy in the room anyway. Remember he never had a "real" job, just academics, government, and rabble rousing (community organizer).

He was never the right man for the job. He was just the right man for the Dems role...huge difference.

They wanted a black man as Pres and they got it. Then they wanted a woman...they don't care about character or quality...just the image they are trying to portray. And they have lost their mind because that didn't happen.

It's like some big fantasy that is playing in their heads.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 AM

15,588 posts, read 10,598,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ive always liked Elon. Certainlly the oposite what you say will happen. D's will probably shun and hate him now.
I warmed to him after seeing his car flying around in space, how cool was that.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,827,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Elon Musk goes on tweetstorm, siding with Trump over tariffs | Fox News

I know “trade war, trade war, trade war....”
China accounts for about 2% of U.S. steel imports, so it's not real clear why he's assuming they are the target of the tariff.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM

21,536 posts, read 10,667,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
There may be a few cars imported from China. But to me the bigger point is that free trade is good for everyone. Take cars as an example:

I remember the 1980's, when Japanese car makers started really taking market share in the US. It was a huge threat to the US Big 3 auto companies. We could have slapped huge tariffs on the Japanese in order to protect US products.

But look where we are today. Most of the Japanese cars sold in the US are assembled here, providing millions of American jobs. The quality of these products is excellent, and the challenge caused American manufacturers to greatly improve the quality of their own products. Win/Win.
I guess you don't understand that the manufacturers are making cars here because Reagan slapped tariffs on them? That's the reason they assemble them here now.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:49 AM

15,368 posts, read 12,707,480 times
someone will win and someone will lose...

it's ok to change who those folks are over time

I think Trump is an idiot but applaud any changes that help America

Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 AM

37,951 posts, read 17,965,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
someone will win and someone will lose...

it's ok to change who those folks are over time

I think Trump is an idiot but applaud any changes that help America
You want the free market to control the changes. Not government hand pickingthe winners and losers. When you rob Peter to pay Paul you can always count on Pauls support.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

27,574 posts, read 13,790,936 times
A bit of Deja vu about all of this or do you not recall when the US steel tariffs of 2002 which led to the loss of 200,000 jobs and $4 Billion in wages, before they were quitely abandoned.

2002 United States steel tariff - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer

But what politicians willfully ignore, or fail to consider, is that it isn’t just some foreign company paying all of those extra dollars and pennies on every item with steel and aluminum in it; this affects domestic manufacturers.

In fact, these tariffs could cost car companies like Ford $1 billion a year. Thus, one job saved in aluminum could just cost another job in another industry.

And that’s even before trade wars begin, as foreign countries will retaliate on goods that Americans sell abroad. U.S. industries unrelated to steel and aluminum will then start facing steeper prices on their goods abroad, and perhaps even closed markets.

Suddenly, for every job created by a tariff, there will be two or more that are being lost. For this reason, America lost roughly 200,000 jobs and $4 billion in wages in 2003 when President George W. Bush imposed steel tariffs on foreign competitors, forcing Bush to soon after abandon the idea.

Trump's Tariffs Will Hit American Consumers, Not China - Observer

Old 03-09-2018, 10:05 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,583,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A bit of Deja vu about all of this or do you not recall when the US steel tariffs of 2002 which led to the loss of 200,000 jobs and $4 Billion in wages, before they were quitely abandoned.

2002 United States steel tariff - Wikipedia
I can't believe I'm going to say this - - but is Trump smart enough to be like Bush and abandon the tariffs when they start harming Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies