Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just from what I have read, the roof of the bridge was a 42 foot span of concrete. why use concrete? It is cheaper, and it can be quicker to produce. But it is much heavier, and more importantly its tensile strength is terrible. If they put a considerable amount of stress on it, it would not bend much at all.

Normally you build in a factory of safety of 5, which means you build in 5 times the strength you need. Maybe it is different for this new "advanced bridge construction" method they used.

I am a degreed (not licensed) engineer - although it is mechanical, not civil.
Me too EE not CE. I think the span was over 100 feet. (And one of the questions being raised is why there was not a center pier).I too find the roof interesting. A lot of structure above the deck. Then again the triangular struts holding the roof look to me like structure...providing the stiffness for the span.

In six months or so there will be a good report on what went wrong. Be an interesting read. Unfortunately in the near term we can only speculate.

I don't know how they work their safety factors...for instance I would presume that they have to survive a maximum hurricane. But I don't think the civil engineers go for factors of five...more like two or two and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A student died last year trying to navigate thru all that traffic. That's what prompted the State to build it.

Whether or not a private company would have built it in the absence of a State is anyone's guess. Since it's a university sponsored by the State I would assume no.

Having said that...accidents will happen regardless if it's a private bridge or a State bridge. This doesn't change the fact that morally and logically the private way is the only option.
Can you honestly suggest that some private company might have one day thought, "hey let's go build a pedestrian bridge over that busy road.....maybe we can put a toll on it or something....."
?????
Be serious.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This bridge was started 5 years ago.....who was president?
The super state (and its worshippers) never cares who the president is.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the bridge collapse, multiple deaths, and injuries have nothing to do with national politics. .
On Big Rock Candy Mountain, yes.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Give Rick Scott and the 100% GOP Legislature, inspectors, highway dept, etc. a call and ask why their landline has voicemail instead of a person:

"A lead engineer responsible for a pedestrian bridge that collapsed near Miami left a voicemail message for a state transportation official warning of “some cracking” two days before the structure crashed, state officials said Friday night."
That engineer was out of the office.
Far be it for me to defend the Super State.
But why did you omit the most vital aspect of the story... ??? Politics?
(Of course, I am referring to the manager who worked for the contracted engineering firm saying on that voicemail that "the crack isn't any kind of safety issue or anything"......)

Old 03-16-2018, 11:21 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Me too EE not CE. I think the span was over 100 feet. (And one of the questions being raised is why there was not a center pier).I too find the roof interesting. A lot of structure above the deck. Then again the triangular struts holding the roof look to me like structure...providing the stiffness for the span.

In six months or so there will be a good report on what went wrong. Be an interesting read. Unfortunately in the near term we can only speculate.

I don't know how they work their safety factors...for instance I would presume that they have to survive a maximum hurricane. But I don't think the civil engineers go for factors of five...more like two or two and a half.
I did elevator design for awhile... we did 5 for factor of safety. That's what I remembered in school as well.

No one likes stuff like this to happen, but the failure analysis is interesting.

I found a video of the proposed bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_71L35CvM

Press Release - that spells out some of the design...
MCM+FIGG selected to design, build 8th Street pedestrian bridge

Also...
Federal grant to boost UniversityCity: a transportation hub at FIU

Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Now I'm on this now to see what happened... and now I am sort of understanding this.

The whole bridge was not up. That was just the first span across the roadway. If you look at the proposal above, there are suspensions that run above the bridge that support the structure across the roadway. They were not installed.

The video of the collapse is below. Something gave way where you could see the structure sink slightly before it totally gave way. You can see (in the slow motion portion) there is activity occurring on the structure, and right beneath it, that's where it looks like one of the diagonal support members failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IL5gwj6WlE

One more - then I am done on this for now. The first 1:30 shows the process of how that portion of the bridge was put in place. Again - that was just the first section, and it was NOT fully supported as it was displayed in the proposal. The newscaster specifically mentions that they were performing a stress test. That, to me, is the failure... the fact that they were doing a stress test on a span of mainly concrete that wasn't properly supported - with traffic flowing underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXT3XtXalWk

Last edited by DRob4JC; 03-17-2018 at 12:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
now that the OSHA report was released...
Quote:
FIGG Bridge Engineers knew that "numerous wide and deep structural cracks" had developed and lengthened daily, but dismissed them, the report says. The document contains multiple texts and emails from crew members concerned about the growing cracks.

One crew member sent his supervisor a text message with a picture of a construction joint with cracks running through it in multiple places.

"It cracked like hell," the crew member wrote in the message.

Despite what OSHA said in the report was "a sense of urgency" from the workers, FIGG did not treat the matter as urgent.
FIU bridge collapse: Engineer ignored warning signs hours before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies