Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:24 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,339,652 times

Advertisements

As long as people exist, sex trafficking will thrive. And shutting down the personals on CL which most people didn't use illegally is so stupid, if anything they should be using it to catch sex traffickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 05:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,152,534 times
One reason it's surprising is because Craigslist is usually a tight, unresponsive bubble.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Ever since Craigslist began publishing undisguised solicitations from hookers, streetwalkers have mostly disappeared from our area. But I suppose now, they'll be back. In the past, they had begun to stay away from the downtown areas and were going out along residential streets, thinking that the cops might be less likely to focus on them in those places. This misguided restriction that the toughened law has brought, will just throw these unsavory and perpetual activities back into our laps, but won't reduce them a bit. This is always the result, when righteous do-gooders are given any power to control society.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:07 PM

30,684 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The department of Justice thinks this law may be overstepping and there could be some constitutional issues so I don't know if this is over. This could also open up a can of worms Republicans did not intend. This law sets a precedent because one could argue if a mad man shoots up a school and kill kids, the gun manufacturers could be responsible and there are other examples. I dont use Craigslist but I think this law will lead to sites shutting down that's not even related to sex. Expect a lawsuit and the courts may tell congress they have to make amendment to the law so it zeros in on sex trafficking and not hurt personal websites or repeal the law all together.

Bottom line the First Amendment is being challenged here and I don't believe websites should be responsible for an individual's action. This will go far beyond the Craigslist personal section. It will effect Facebook and many others. The law is so broad it will affect all dating sites and apps.
This law wouldn't bring about that change as there is already a law on the book prohibiting gun manufacturer liability for such cases. Still, you bring up a good point. I do hope that there is a strong legal challenge available for this law. I just see so much more downside to upside of this law.

Note, I'm sure that many lawmakers had reservations against this law, but who in their right mind (particularly if you're from a centrist district where you actually have to work to get reelected) would vote no and be accused of being pro-sex trafficking? That's the sickness of our politics today, unfortunately.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What is wrong with Match or POF or Tinder or whatever meeting sites are out there, it seems like there are many. What about meetup.? How about meeting women through friends? How about hobbies... etc, etc.
Well, with Match, one does have to pay money.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
As long as people exist, sex trafficking will thrive. And shutting down the personals on CL which most people didn't use illegally is so stupid, if anything they should be using it to catch sex traffickers.
Plenty of people I’m sure met on there and ended up getting married.

That’s a good point about using it to catch sex traffickers . I’m guessing a lot of police did use it for that purpose .

Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What is wrong with Match or POF or Tinder or whatever meeting sites are out there, it seems like there are many. What about meetup.? How about meeting women through friends? How about hobbies... etc, etc.
Tinder is horrible, it is all look based. OK Cupid use to be good but turned into Tinder. POF has taken a nose dive of late to be honest with a LOT of bots and cam girls. Match isn't free and I don't have the extra money for it. Meet up I'm not sure on as I tried it but didn't go to any meet ups due to being sick or something the day of a meet. Meeting women through friends is hit or miss because friends have to know single women and I'm not personally a blind date type.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Tinder is horrible, it is all look based. OK Cupid use to be good but turned into Tinder. POF has taken a nose dive of late to be honest with a LOT of bots and cam girls. Match isn't free and I don't have the extra money for it. Meet up I'm not sure on as I tried it but didn't go to any meet ups due to being sick or something the day of a meet. Meeting women through friends is hit or miss because friends have to know single women and I'm not personally a blind date type.
I went on a couple dates years ago from POF, it was OK, but I prefer to meet women the old way, just by running into them out in public, if I see someone Im interested in, I introduce myself and go from there, Im not sure why more people cannot do the same. Its how everyone used to do it just 10 or so years ago anyway.

Regarding the CL bill, it wont work at all. The sex traffickers learned from the online drug dealers, post their ads in other unrelated sections and word it in a specific way, so it only attracts customers and not police.

Bck when I was an addict and using daily, I resorted to buying from a CL dealer here and there, it was very easy to spot their ads and the system they had in place to do the exchange, was very clever, they remained totally anonymous and they never saw me! The ones I used had ads posted in the tools section.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,761,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I went on a couple dates years ago from POF, it was OK, but I prefer to meet women the old way, just by running into them out in public, if I see someone Im interested in, I introduce myself and go from there, Im not sure why more people cannot do the same. Its how everyone used to do it just 10 or so years ago anyway.

Regarding the CL bill, it wont work at all. The sex traffickers learned from the online drug dealers, post their ads in other unrelated sections and word it in a specific way, so it only attracts customers and not police.

Bck when I was an addict and using daily, I resorted to buying from a CL dealer here and there, it was very easy to spot their ads and the system they had in place to do the exchange, was very clever, they remained totally anonymous and they never saw me! The ones I used had ads posted in the tools section.
Everyone is not a social butterfly and can approach strangers in public.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM

35,760 posts, read 21,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Pretty surprising .

——
The popular online classified ads site Craigslist has stopped publishing personal ads after the Senate approved a controversial sex trafficking bill that makes website operators more accountable for their users' activities.

Craigslist's personal ads have for decades been a popular way for people to make romantic connections, but with the Senate's approval Wednesday of the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA), Craigslist said it couldn't afford risking its operations by running personal ads.

The legislation -- approved by both branches of Congress -- amends Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act from 1996, which many online platforms saw as a vital protection from liability for content posted by their users. The legislation makes it a crime to operate an internet platform with the intent of promoting prostitution.

Supporters say the legislation will help curb the growing epidemic of online sex trafficking that often involves children, while opponents argue it could expose tech companies to costly lawsuits and infringe on free speech.

https://www.cnet.com/news/craigslist...g-bill-passes/
Romantic?? Hell that was a sale catalog of meat. Glad it’s off - went overboard n so much trafficking like backpage — shut them all down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies