Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of criticism leveled at the baby boomers ruining it for the millennials. I guess when it comes to our help it is a different story............

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
On average, millennial parents ages 19 to 37 said they received $11,011 in financial support and unpaid labor from their boomer parents, ages 50 to 70.
Only relevant if you're a millenial and a parent.

Also the study points out that the largest source of millennial debt is student loans. Guess which generation decided it would be a good idea to shift the cost of higher education from older taxpayers to younger students?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
This isn't unique to Millennials and Baby Boomer parents. It has been common for grandparents to help out as far as babysitting goes for generations.

It may have become more prevalent in recent decades with the increased cost in daycare and the decline in SAHMs... but it is still nothing new or unique. Nor is buying toys or clothes for grandkids, for that matter.

I'm not sure about how common it was in previous generations for help with bills and debt, but I know that my Grandparents (Silent Generation) helped my mother and her sister (Boomers) financially, when they were adults, when necessary. So it wasn't entirely unheard of before.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
I'm a Boomer, and I'm up to here with the "Boomers ruined everything" crap that's being spread around. I was taught that money is earned, just like respect. I served my country, and worked for 45 years, the last 25 of which was as a police officer. I paid into the social security system, with full knowledge that I was supporting the generation before me, and never whined once.

In other words get over yourselves, snowflakes, nobody owes you a thing, least of all the Boomers.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Also the study points out that the largest source of millennial debt is student loans.
and who signed on all that debt? the millennials, stop trying to make it sound like they were forced to take on debt. they even knew the costs of college, because they needed to take out a loan for it. they never made proper plans to repay that loan, putting it off for 4 years without a thought. even taking out a mortgage, you pay on it every month, but student loans, not for years down the line.

millennials also didnt have a bad economy, they were mostly not in the work force during the 08 crash due to being in school or too young to be working yet, not to mention anything sbout the 1980s recession or the 1990s dot com crash

millennials didnt have decades of stagnant wages due to them not having wages long enough to be stagnant

really, millennials have it pretty good, didnt lose lives savings right before retirement in ten or so years, all the wars "fought" was only experience via news and social media for the most part

the hardest things most millennials have to face is higher housing prices which everyone else deals with as well

Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm a Boomer, and I'm up to here with the "Boomers ruined everything" crap that's being spread around. I was taught that money is earned, just like respect. I served my country, and worked for 45 years, the last 25 of which was as a police officer. I paid into the social security system, with full knowledge that I was supporting the generation before me, and never whined once.
you are literally whining right now, in this post, while telling us that you're not whining

Old 04-05-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and who signed on all that debt? the millennials, stop trying to make it sound like they were forced to take on debt.
they were forced to pay extremely high tuitions if they wanted a decent education

Quote:
millennials also didnt have a bad economy, they were mostly not in the work force during the 08 crash
that's a dubious claim

but i feel compelled to point out that boomers were "mostly" not involved in vietnam or the draft, but that doesn't stop them from talking about it at every turn, as if every last one of them was drafted.

Quote:
millennials didnt have decades of stagnant wages
This millenial has been working for about 20 years, and seen almost-no wage growth in the broader economy during that time period.

Also , wages were rising at nearly 10% annually during parts of the 80's.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:30 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
they were forced to pay extremely high tuitions if they wanted a decent education

Neither did boomers.

Wages were rising at nearly 10% annually during parts of the 80's
Your statement is an oxymoron. You can't be forced to do something you want.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:34 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
My boomer relatives were able to get living-wage Jobs right out of high school. That would be unthinkable today.

Then again, my boomer relatives faced the possibility of being drafted into a pointless war in Vietnam, so I don’t envy them on that.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

In other words get over yourselves, snowflakes, nobody owes you a thing, least of all the Boomers.
I see Los angelws as an example. Boomers didnt want it to change and still don’t. And we wonder why traffic is bad and we have a housing crisis. Because they wnated it to stay looking like a 1950s suburbia at all costs.

The whole “I got mines” mentality.

Not saying every boomer. But open your eyes and see that theresa huge gap these days. What worked for you is not gonna work today. Because times change and things are more bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies