Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So conservative = entertainment (not news?). Interesting.

Just FYI, Zuck started FB so college guys could keep track of their women friends. Up Front.

Does that matter?

I have to chuckle about these "databases". Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that Google and even Yahoo know as much...if not more. Heck, Target sends you the diaper ads when you are 5 months preggie.

I used to buy lists for my business - pre-internet. Anything you wanted was available. Anything.

No doubt FB made an error allowing ANYONE to access that data (although some was done with scrapers and other unauthorized tools)....

Let me quote The Right RE: The Patriot Act and other loss of Civil Liberties "Hey, if you haven't done anything wrong then who cares that the gubment listens in to everything?".....

FB knows nothing about me that is/was not publically (or for a very small fee) available. It doesn't know, as other online DBs do, about all my former addresses and phone numbers. It doesn't know my net worth. It doesn't even know my political affiliation. Now - because I spend very little time discussing guns, it probably knows I am a reasonable and moderate person, but anyone would know that...in person or otherwise.

Facebooks big crime has to do with helping the GOP (at this point)....so make certain thou does not protest too much. At the same time, I always look for agreement and there is no doubt FB was too "open" to allowing others to access their data.

Then again, Target and many other companies have let your data out also. You better believe that the Dark Web has vast amounts of info on you which they will sell by the millions (of cc numbers, addresses, mothers maiden names, ss #, etc.)...

FB made a mistake - a typical one in human nature. They assumed CA would be honest and hold up to their agreement and contract. They failed to realize that the Right fights dirty.

Now they will fix it.

first of all, YOU are the one comparing entertainment/talk radio to a massive database. those are not the same thing.

second, I agree that the "crime" here is letting conservatives get access to Facebooks data. I aint mad.
What I am a bit chagrinned about is the LEFTS freakout over this when just previously they were perfectly happy to have all of facebooks data while the right was not allowed access.... yea that happened. Obama's election team got data that Facebook did not allow the right access to.... only in this election did that happen....

I have a theory by the way. I think Zuck wanted Hillary to lose. I think he wanted to run for President in 2020 and doing so would mean Trump winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
So conservative = entertainment (not news?). Interesting.
Are you capable of not twisting words?

Quote:
Just FYI, Zuck started FB so college guys could keep track of their women friends. Up Front.
I think it was far more creepy than just that.

The way the site worked was that it pulled photos of Harvard students off of Harvard's Web sites. It rearranged these photos so that when people visited Facemash.com they would see pictures of two Harvard students and be asked to vote on which was more attractive. The site also maintained a list of Harvard students, ranked by attractiveness.

If he were a conservative, prog-libs would hate him.

In any event, I think FB should be able to keep conservative ideas off FB, if that's what they think they need to do. I just think its incredibly cowardly to censor political speech.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No genius. How about being NEUTRAL, and if the content isn't profane, or otherwise unacceptable for a wide audience, then let it go, and NOT CENSOR. Allow all views. Left, Right, Centrist, etc. Why is that so hard to understand?

That being said, I do not advocate government getting involved in regulating these de facto monopolies. What needs to happen is for people that don't want to be censored, and disrespected to NOT USE Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google, MSN, Yahoo, and all the other TECH GIANTS that are Far Left.
Private company. Don't like it? Don't have a FB account. Simple.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Breitbart is a news site.
Bwah haha. Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Does CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, Comcast, Huffington Post, New York Times, Washington Post, AP, etc have a political bias? Does Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Yahoo, MSN, have a political bias? ALL FAR LEFT. ALL THE TIME.
Your paranoia is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Zuckerberg did say though that Facebook is located in silicone valley that is VERY LEFT LEANING.

Bias much?
Facebook being located in Silicon Valley is a fact; facts by definition are not biased.

Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Good God. Went right over your head.
Are you surprised?

Quote:
Adding to say I'm so tired of the "crazy liberal bias" argument regarding having a formal education. So let me ask you this. You need serious financial advice. Do you go to a wealth manager or to your crazy uncle Bob? Have strep throat? A physician or the local snake oil salesman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, they are doing a terrible job of censoring then. My Facebook feed and news links seems to be inundated with outright right-wing hate. I'm not sure what Facebook is censoring but they need to step it up.
Agreed. I might have a small percentage of friends who are conservative, but those few people are flooding my news feed with their fake news and hateful propaganda.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Some of you people are missing the point. Everybody knows Facebook can choose what they do with their site with regards to content.

The problem is they claim they're neutral which is a damn lie. That's why they're being blasted.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of you people are missing the point. Everybody knows Facebook can choose what they do with their site with regards to content.

The problem is they claim they're neutral which is a damn lie. That's why they're being blasted.
And Fox News claims it's fair & unbalanced, which is a damn lie. Are you asking for them to be shut down? Or what? What are you asking of FB?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And Fox News claims it's fair & unbalanced, which is a damn lie. Are you asking for them to be shut down? Or what? What are you asking of FB?

You don't know the difference between a variety of media outlets from which to choose and Facebook where individuals and organizations have their pages deleted for b.s.?

I'm not on Facebook but calling out Zuckerberg for being a damn liar about what they're doing is fair game - just like calling out Fox News and CNN for being liars is fair game.

You seem to have a problem with one but not the other. Shocking.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
You don't know the difference between a variety of media outlets from which to choose and Facebook where individuals and organizations have their pages deleted for b.s.?

I'm not on Facebook but calling out Zuckerberg for being a damn liar about what they're doing is fair game - just like calling out Fox News and CNN for being liars is fair game.

Well actually, YOU appear to have a problem with one, not the other. Guess what? There is also a variety of social media to choose from. You don't need to be on FB. Get it?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Agreed. I might have a small percentage of friends who are conservative, but those few people are flooding my news feed with their fake news and hateful propaganda.
To be fair, i think it depends on your FB friends.

I spent a significant part of my life in TX and in NJ. As such, I have friends from both sides... I get flooded from both camps... sometimes I waste energy (being moderate in political views) trying to mitigate.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Cruz was like a whiny school girl ! “ why did diamond and silk get shut down”?

Facebook is free, they can pick and choose who they allow on their platform.
He was not whiny.

Quote:

There are people who have had their pages taken down, deleted and others who have been put into FB "jail" for super petty stuff. Graham Allen was put into FB "jail" for posting a pic of him with one of his rifles and an American flag. Yet, they allowed a video of service members in Niger were attacked they allowed the video to be posted. Just out of spite, I 'liked' Diamond and Silk lol!

I listened to Zuckerberg for a little bit and he is ignorant if he doesn't understand his own policy. They do collect your data, they do share your data. Directly from their data policy it says "We share information we have about you within the family of companies that are part of Facebook".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies