Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Zuck will get away with the lie.
YES 39 95.12%
NO 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Gee, what other prominent billionaire enjoys the same favored treatment under the law?
“You have to go where the money is. Now where the money is, there’s almost always implicitly some string attached. … It’s awful hard to take a whole lot of money from a group you know has a particular position then you conclude they’re wrong [and] vote no.” — Vice President Joe Biden in 2015.

“I think many people have the mistaken impression that Congress regulates Wall Street. … The real truth is that Wall Street regulates the Congress.” ---Bernie Sanders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
I despise Facebook, and all the far leftist Silicon Valley Tech, Communication, Media, and Social Media companies. However, they are PRIVATE COMPANIES. They are allowed to censor, delete, and refuse service to any individual, corp, or organization they want. It is up to the MARKET, not Government to intervene, and eventually I believe they will.

The only reason people, and thus Government should get involved if it is determined these companies are operating as an illegal MONOPOLY.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:17 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I despise Facebook, and all the far leftist Silicon Valley Tech, Communication, Media, and Social Media companies. However, they are PRIVATE COMPANIES. They are allowed to censor, delete, and refuse service to any individual, corp, or organization they want. It is up to the MARKET, not Government to intervene, and eventually I believe they will.

The only reason people, and thus Government should get involved if it is determined these companies are operating as an illegal MONOPOLY.
They certainly are not operating as a monopoly.

I don't think monopoly is defined as market share or profits - if it were, Apple would be declared a monopoly on smartphones (they make a VAST percentage of the profits - not sales - worldwide)....

Monsanto would be declared a monopoly on many things...

Both of these companies succeed because they take the same advice that I learned while in business....don't worry about the competition, just focus on your own business and customers.

IMHO, monopolies are companies that become tempted to spend too much of their time trying to shut down others.

As you probably know, duckduckgo has become a popular search engine because they do not track you and don't have all the various services (BIG) that Google does. But you can find it easily - on google.

In fact, just put in duckduck and you are there.

FB, unlike many privately owned forums I know of, allows you to link most anywhere and embed videos, etc. from other sources. That is a good thing and proves that they are actually helping other sites.

Both Google and FB are the best thing ever to happen to the small guy - who can now get lots of free traffic...and also some for $$ (optionally)...

So I agree - they are nowhere near monopolies. I do expect Goog to be accused of being one (maybe they already have), but that's the breaks when you are too successful.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
AND best thing ever to happen to Diamond and Silk -- who knew who they were before all this -- now they have more claim to fame and more youtube hits and that's all good for them.

You gotta look on the sunny side kids.

And don't we all need to spend more time analyzing this week's Roseanne ....Diamond and Silk just aren't important.
So true lol.

FWIW I think its funny that Diamond and Silk are making so much money off people who like to see black women act the way they wish all black women would act lol.

Will also note that it was hilarious to me that Zuckerberg shared that the largest BLM page was hosted by some white dude in Australia and that he had even gotten over $100k donations sent to him.

People need to quit being so stupid and thinking everything they see on the internet is true/real. A healthy dose of skepticism should always be in people's minds IMO.

But I'm with you - Roseanne is more important to analyze and care about than Diamond and Silk lol.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I don't mind Facebook but I know what it is....it's something offered to me for free with a price...imagine that!!!

When I've done all the 'tests' to see how much Facebook has stolen information form me -- there's very little -- short of the kind of stuff I don't care if people know (Yes I cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs (stop laughing at me) and I like hockey.).

I think people are fussed because they think they got duped...and then they find out that Facebook never hid any of it -- their terms of service/agreement showed it all. So folks scream -- there must be something criminal about it all.

Nope.

Wait until folks figure out what reward cards are for...they aren't to give you rewards kids -- lol.......more data gathering tools that WE agree to.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
They certainly are not operating as a monopoly.

I don't think monopoly is defined as market share or profits - if it were, Apple would be declared a monopoly on smartphones (they make a VAST percentage of the profits - not sales - worldwide)....

Monsanto would be declared a monopoly on many things...

Both of these companies succeed because they take the same advice that I learned while in business....don't worry about the competition, just focus on your own business and customers.

IMHO, monopolies are companies that become tempted to spend too much of their time trying to shut down others.

As you probably know, duckduckgo has become a popular search engine because they do not track you and don't have all the various services (BIG) that Google does. But you can find it easily - on google.

In fact, just put in duckduck and you are there.

FB, unlike many privately owned forums I know of, allows you to link most anywhere and embed videos, etc. from other sources. That is a good thing and proves that they are actually helping other sites.

Both Google and FB are the best thing ever to happen to the small guy - who can now get lots of free traffic...and also some for $$ (optionally)...

So I agree - they are nowhere near monopolies. I do expect Goog to be accused of being one (maybe they already have), but that's the breaks when you are too successful.
Agree with much of this. I don't know if they are monopolies, or not. I do use Duck Duck Go now for the reasons you state. Google, and Microsoft seem to be pushing the monopoly envelope, but people have a choice at least with Apple on the computing side. At this point, I still don't think the Government should be involved. Public hearings are just political grand standing.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
I don't mind Facebook but I know what it is....it's something offered to me for free with a price...imagine that!!!

When I've done all the 'tests' to see how much Facebook has stolen information form me -- there's very little -- short of the kind of stuff I don't care if people know (Yes I cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs (stop laughing at me) and I like hockey.).

I think people are fussed because they think they got duped...and then they find out that Facebook never hid any of it -- their terms of service/agreement showed it all. So folks scream -- there must be something criminal about it all.

Nope.

Wait until folks figure out what reward cards are for...they aren't to give you rewards kids -- lol.......more data gathering tools that WE agree to.
I especially agree with the bold.

Will be honest and state IMO the main people griping about FB are the stupid people who don't read and just live in some sort of la-la land.

I actually have a separate email address for my FB account that is not my "main" email. I never put where I work or my phone number. Only thing FB knew/knows about me is that I am black (which they can tell from my profile pics lol), I'm married and went to the college I attended (I keep up with our alumni page). Also, I like Kroger and Starbucks and real estate renovations is a hobby of mine - things I post about a lot and in regards to coffee and groceries, places that send me e-coupons. I've visited no advertisers (I don't like to let people market to me willingly if I can help in on social media). I'm politically "moderate," which I am.

All social media sites, even this one I'm sure, gather data about users. That is how the internet makes money -off data. I've used the data from Google and FB before in regards to businesses of myself and family members.

It is ridiculous to me that people are getting so upset about stuff that no one is "hiding" from them is happening. They just willfully ignore information. These are the same people who believe headlines and random youtube videos or who think "reality TV" is actually real life.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Diamond and Silk stand up for the little people of this country.. those Zuckerberg types want to squash those little people. It is all about power and money. The dems are the elitists now. They have dubed millions of people to think they are for the less fortunate. What a crock. They hate America and Americans. It is all about opened borders, cheap labor, and global first.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Facebook contacted Diamond & Silk and clarified the issues.
Do you have any references to back up this assertion?

Why, specifically, do you believe that Facebook people contacted D&S over this issue?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Zuckerberg lied in his testimony, twice on the same issue of Diamond & Silk. Will he get away with lying to congress ? (Corrected here, the typo in headline for the paper graders)

So far it looks like he is in the clear and no one is pursuing it.
He's a billionaire so he gets favored treatment under the law in our two tier system.

Said Diamond & Silk were contacted and issue resolved. Diamond & Silk say the problem persist and they were never contacted by FB.
I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Maybe you should've linked to something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies