Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Here's a question: Why didn't they use the same diagnostic criteria PLUS the test? you know to ensure accuracy, comparing TO instead of comparing WITH, and seeing how well the test work as a diagnostic tool. Complete data collection. Excellent outcomes data.
But no. Huh. Scratches head.
Well we are both scratching our heads because I have no idea what that ^ is supposed to mean. To diagnose polio they confirm symptoms with a test for the presence of the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
well we are both scratching our heads because i have no idea what that ^ is supposed to mean. To diagnose polio they confirm symptoms with a test for the presence of the virus.
+1.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about when the flu vaccine use actually became widespread. My bad. It was not something that the general public was getting until I was an adult. Regarding the rest, we’ll never agree.

You and your husband’s experience with chicken pox in the pre vaccine era certainly is not similar to most. Most parents wanted thier kids to catch it young because the symptoms are milder then if one gets it in adulthood. Since everyone got it back then, it made perfect sense to get it over with early on. They weren’t called “chicken pox parties” back then. It was just life. The vaccine certainly was met with skepticism when it first came out by many, including health professionals.

Also if you are against personal attacks, you may want to be more careful in how you speak to people.
MmmKay! Even so, I gave flu shots to the general public back in the 1970s when I worked for a health department. It's true that the CDC didn't specifically recommend them for everyone until the last few years, but the recommendation has always been for the high risk groups plus "anyone who wishes to decrease their chances of getting influenza". Typing from memory, there.

I do not think my experience or DH's was unusual. I never ever heard of anyone attending one of these "parties" or even being encouraged to go play with someone with chickenpox. Many kids were way too sick to do a "full day of playing, swimming outside with all of my friends who also had chicken pox". Swimming outside? I can't imagine a public pool would let a kid with chickenpox inside. I used to work at one, in fact, I worked at two. The average age of kids getting chickenpox pre-vaccine was about 3-4, these kids were too young to do that anyway. And I was a mom of young kids in the pre-vaccine era. My friends, acquaintances, neighbors, etc, weren't doing that stuff either. No one wanted their kid to get chickenpox right now (actually in two weeks) even though we knew it was inevitable.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Would you buy a car that had breaks that worked 36% of the time?
No, but I'd buy one that had a safety feature that would protect me from a fatality 36% of the time if that were the best available.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
MmmKay! Even so, I gave flu shots to the general public back in the 1970s when I worked for a health department. It's true that the CDC didn't specifically recommend them for everyone until the last few years, but the recommendation has always been for the high risk groups plus "anyone who wishes to decrease their chances of getting influenza". Typing from memory, there.

I do not think my experience or DH's was unusual. I never ever heard of anyone attending one of these "parties" or even being encouraged to go play with someone with chickenpox. Many kids were way too sick to do a "full day of playing, swimming outside with all of my friends who also had chicken pox". Swimming outside? I can't imagine a public pool would let a kid with chickenpox inside. I used to work at one, in fact, I worked at two. The average age of kids getting chickenpox pre-vaccine was about 3-4, these kids were too young to do that anyway. And I was a mom of young kids in the pre-vaccine era. My friends, acquaintances, neighbors, etc, weren't doing that stuff either. No one wanted their kid to get chickenpox right now (actually in two weeks) even though we knew it was inevitable.
It was quite common for parents to try and ensure their kids got chicken pox young. By swimming, I mean, we got in the kiddie pool in the yard and played in the sprinkler to cool down after running, playing and biking around the neighborhood during the day. The kids in my neighborhood who got it together were in the range of 4 to 7. It was very normal.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
All of your posts at CD that I have seen have been defending drugs. I never saw you criticize a drug, ever, and I never saw you criticize any aspect of mainstream medicine, ever. I never saw you post on any topic other than drugs.

If you aren't a paid poster, then at least you are a dedicated volunteer.
This is TRUE, and for me not being a great fan of pharma drugs, but not closed tight to them and am open if I really need them. NOT true for a handful here who want nothing to do with anything but pharma drugs and I wonder if any take any supplements even like the good old standard Vit C. And then there is Vit D.

And that pretty large handful do all in the being to attack what others like myself use for our healing.

Amazing, incredible, stunning, the closed minds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-13-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is TRUE, and for me not being a great fan of pharma drugs, but not closed tight to them and am open if I really need them. NOT true for a handful here who want nothing to do with anything from pharma drugs and I wonder if any take any supplements even like the good old standard Vit C. And then there is Vit D.

And that pretty large handful do all in the being to attack what others like myself use for our healing.

Amazing, incredible, stunning, the closed minds.
You are also amazed and stunned by people in the dental forum who go to the dentist rather than swishing grape seed extract and coconut oil in their mouth

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It was quite common for parents to try and ensure their kids got chicken pox young. By swimming, I mean, we got in the kiddie pool in the yard and played in the sprinkler to cool down after running, playing and biking around the neighborhood during the day. The kids in my neighborhood who got it together were in the range of 4 to 7. It was very normal.
I WAS A PARENT IN THE PRE-VACCINE ERA. I lived in a neighborhood with lots of kids. That kind of stuff was NOT going on when a kid had chickenpox. What you remember from childhood is not necessarily accurate.

This is for everyone to read: https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/how...cine-attitudes"How the Dunning-Kruger effect explains anti-vaccine attitudes"
"How can people flatly deny scientific consensus? Enter the Dunning-Kruger Effect, a cognitive bias that a new study uses to explain anti-vaccine policy attitudes. . . What the Dunning-Kruger Effect (DKE) describes is a situation where people who, in fact, know significantly little of a subject actually believe they know more than the experts. “The scope of people's ignorance is often invisible to them,” explained one of DKE’s originators - social psychologist David Dunning."

Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I WAS A PARENT IN THE PRE-VACCINE ERA. I lived in a neighborhood with lots of kids. That kind of stuff was NOT going on when a kid had chickenpox. What you remember from childhood is not necessarily accurate.
So the parents in your neighborhood tried to avoid chicken pox all together? Did they know that it’s milder in younger kids? Did they know that their kids would get it at one point or another in spite of their efforts to avoid it? We’re they aware that complications increase with age? Avoidance doesn’t seem like the smartest option. We’re you all avoiding for health reasons and if so what were those reasons or did you avoid because it just wasn’t a convenient time for them to be sick? It really was smarter to expose young in the pre-vaccine era and lots of people did just that.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
i absolutely agree that sounds stupid. Why are you bringing that up?
Do you agree that it is POOR science to change diagnostic criteria when rolling out a new drug that every child in the US is going to receive? Or is that a good way to gather data?
A way to gather data? What is that, your newest conspiracy theory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies