Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Right, so babies, adolescents (teens) and adults have the greatest risk of compications. Why wouldn’t a parent of a young child, not try to expose their kid young knowing that it will be worse if they don’t get it until they are a teen or an adult in an ere where everyone got it at one point or another? You confirmed what I’m saying yet still think it’s crazy that people would expose their kids young. It was definitely happening. And no, it’s not guilt, it’s reality and you just confirmed it. Getting chicken pox at age 5 would have provided much better odds for a mild illness then getting them at 15.
Your friend was right not to expose kids on purpose without talking to their parents but I’m sure some parents would have wanted their kids to be exposed to get it over with while they were in the safest age range to get it. How old were your kids when they got it? Did you think that if you tried to avoid it, they would never get it even though everyone got it back then? What was the motive in waiting until they were older and more at risk of serious complications?
For heaven's sake, exposure to childhood diseases is not a viable replacement for vaccines. I was exposed to chickenpox a number of times, when I was 7 or 8 I spent a week with my cousins when 3 out of the 4 had chickenpox and I didn't get it until I was 15. No one intentionally exposed their baby to chickenpox but babies caught it and some died from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For heaven's sake, exposure to childhood diseases is not a viable replacement for vaccines. I was exposed to chickenpox a number of times, when I was 7 or 8 I spent a week with my cousins when 3 out of the 4 had chickenpox and I didn't get it until I was 15. No one intentionally exposed their baby to chickenpox but babies caught it and some died from it.

I’m in no way saying that people should not vaccinate. It’s a choice. I’m talking about how disease was viewed prior to the drug (in this case a vaccine) being made available. Chicken pox was not viewed as a terrifying illness. If it was, your parents wouldn’t have let you spend a week with your cousins when three out of four of them had it, would they? My parents and all of the parents in my neighborhood would not have deliberately exposed us. Now if a kid has chicken pox it’s seen as certain doom.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Children were intentionally exposed to chicken pox, measles and mumps. I remember It as a child and I am 70. I never knew anyone who got very ill from any of them.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Children were intentionally exposed to chicken pox, measles and mumps. I remember It as a child and I am 70. I never knew anyone who got very ill from any of them.
Time to repost:
https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/how...cine-attitudes

The less people know, the more they think they know.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

The less people know, the more they think they know.

Just because your experience doesn’t line up with many others does not make their experience untrue. YOur link has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation, either or the comment you are responding to.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-13-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I’m in no way saying that people should not vaccinate. It’s a choice. I’m talking about how disease was viewed prior to the drug (in this case a vaccine) being made available. Chicken pox was not viewed as a terrifying illness. If it was, your parents wouldn’t have let you spend a week with your cousins when three out of four of them had it, would they? My parents and all of the parents in my neighborhood would not have deliberately exposed us. Now if a kid has chicken pox it’s seen as certain doom.
No one knew my cousins had chickenpox when I showed up to spend a week with them, they came down with symptoms a day or two after I got there. My point in mentioning that was to illustrate that you don't always get chickenpox when you are exposed to it but that doesn't mean you won't get it later - I got it 7 or 8 years after I knew I had been exposed. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but the arguments your comments make it sound like you are downplaying the potential for childhood diseases in order to make a case against vaccinations.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one knew my cousins had chickenpox when I showed up to spend a week with them, they came down with symptoms a day or two after I got there. My point in mentioning that was to illustrate that you don't always get chickenpox when you are exposed to it but that doesn't mean you won't get it later - I got it 7 or 8 years after I knew I had been exposed. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but the arguments your comments make it sound like you are downplaying the potential for childhood diseases in order to make a case against vaccinations.
Ya think? I'd suggest looking at her post history.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ya think? I'd suggest looking at her post history.
I’ve always been 100% in favor of choice, Kat. Always.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:07 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I have to wonder how many of those who got seriously ill actually had those childhood diseases or did they have something that mimicked them? Were there any tests to prove someone had measles? For the children that I knew, someone, usually a relative, would just say, that's measles. Very few children went to a doctor for them.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
I’ve always been 100% in favor of choice, Kat. Always.
And isn't it amazing just because you say that you are automatically labeled as being anti-choice? How does THAT happen????

People are afraid of people who think for themselves. You see it all the time. They'd rather everyone be like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies