Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know plenty of people who grew up poor, sometimes in other countries, who are middle class or better as adults. So spare me
Anecdotal evidence aside, 70% born poor will also be poor when they die. They just don't rise above it.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Stop complaining about being rich, and pay your taxes. You are still rich after taxes. That is the price we rich have to pay for living in the best country in the world. Would you rather pay no taxes and live in some Trumpian **** hole? lol

Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's usually true. There are actually statistics on that.

Women who receive public assistance, as a group, outbreed women and their partners who actually financially support themselves and their children by a rate of 3 to 1. Yes, you read that correctly, 3 to 1. Of course, the more children they bear, the more in means-tested welfare program benefits they collect. And each of those kids receive public assistance benefits for 18 years, if not more, given the fact that 70% of those born into poverty or very-low income never rise above it. Many of the girls will start bearing their own children even before they're age 18.

Here are the stats, published by the US Census Bureau:
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-558.pdf

And, again...
http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-563.pdf

I'm sure you and everyone else can understand that the compounding effect on population growth will make that dependent-class increasingly more impossible to support with freebie welfare handouts. Eventually, the Fed Gov is going to run out of OPM (other people's money) with which to artificially fund their subsistence. Then what?

I think this illustrates my view that in MOST cases regarding this particular issue, people fall into two main categories -- those who take responsibility for supporting themselves and their children, and those who don't.

If people care about and take pride in supporting themselves, they will at least try to limit their families to the size they can support. (I realize that accidents happen, as do rapes, unfortunately.) Responsible people who have SNAP, TANF, etc. will try to limit their families and will try to improve their lives. Irresponsible people are just fine with the idea of having others provide food for their families.

However, I will say it again that I definitely do NOT believe that young children should be homeless or go hungry because of the faults of their parents. And, yes, I also realize that for many people, the fact that they require government assistance to live is NOT their fault, although I do think that is untrue for the majority of people. (I volunteered at a food bank for more than a year, and I would estimate that only about 5% of our clients were there through no fault of their own.)

Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Stop complaining about being rich, and pay your taxes. You are still rich after taxes. That is the price we rich have to pay for living in the best country in the world. Would you rather pay no taxes and live in some Trumpian **** hole? lol
Everyone should have some skin in the game - otherwise why would they get to vote and decide on the running of a country to which they contribute nothing? Those on assistance should absolutely not have voting rights.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Everyone should have some skin in the game - otherwise why would they get to vote and decide on the running of a country to which they contribute nothing? Those on assistance should absolutely not have voting rights.
A good moral, but unrealistic for many. Like the disabled.

The truly poor still pay some taxes. And they remain valuable as consumers.

I would not vote to change our Constitution on this.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No, it isn't the price we have to pay. Not unless ALL 1040 filers pay.

Frankly, I'd rather live in a developed country that has more income equality, but they tax regressively, and idiot Americans refuse to do so.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't the price we have to pay. Not unless ALL 1040 filers pay.

Frankly, I'd rather live in a developed country that has more income equality, but they tax regressively, and idiot Americans refuse to do so.

I am ALWAYS for lower federal taxes.

Not many people understand or will ever understand that in any monetarily sovereign nation, taxes do not need to be levied to run the country.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Americans are getting dumber with each successive generation, with the millennials being the worst so far, even the supposedly college educated.
This has to be a troll post.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many of the elites and the wealthy are educated and understand this, but what I would explain to them the only way that capitalism and free enterprise systems that made it possible for them to be wealthy while others peacefully labor more for less can be sustained are with the constant flow of money back to the working class. Absent a mechanism for prevention, our system will inevitably turn into the third world model where almost all wealth is held by a few and the many live in abject poverty. Eventually the wealthy will get all the chips leaving nothing for the masses. The masses will rise up and revolt and civil society will collapse, communism or chaos will replace it,their wealth will be destroyed and they will be killed. Capitalism's failure is inherent but can be prevented by continuous redistribution of income downward via progressive taxation and ready access to opportunity (education).
Basically, it's a constant battle against natural selection and survival of the fittest.

I see the merits.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
This has to be a troll post.
Sadly, it isn't. Data cited in these two posts:

OECD PIAAC Data

ETS (Princeton) Analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies