Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Millenials
There is a bigger wealth gap for sure 49 69.01%
They have it easy 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The wealth gap will grow. U.S. Millennials, as a group, just aren't well-educated, comparatively. Society in decline...

"U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and workplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers":
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/
The US was never stellar when compared to other developed countries as it relates to scores. Some of this is because most countries weed out those who will not attend university and/ or ethnicity and/ or geography. Why is it that China only submits scores for some of their states?

The US could easily increase its rankings to top three if the only state submitting scores was Massachusetts.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-19-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Did not know older people criticize millennial. Just another damn thing I forgot to do. I’m sure if I ponder it, I’ll find a reason to blame those danged millennials.
You know you are over the hill when you paint entire younger generations with a broad brush.

You know you are wet behind the years when you paint entire older generations with a broad brush.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
as an 'older millenial', i see the phrase as primarily a marketing tool that grew into a sort of dog whistle referring to young non-conservatives.

when people say "millenial" they don't seem to be imagining a construction worker or a US marine or a scientist or an accountant. The insinuation is that everyone of this age group is either a sort of effeminate man or androgynous woman, living in the downtown of a really expensive city, who has an art PhD and an apartment both funded by their parents, and serves coffee/sells homeade crafts on Etsy to fund their facial piercings and unicycle lessons.

which is probably fair. when people say "Baby boomer" i think of the most greedy, obnoxious friends of my parents, "Generation X" i picture John Cusack, "Silent Generation" i don't picture anything at all except maybe a Bukowski-ish, drunk , old, creepy-looking guy who lives alone and never married.

Last edited by le roi; 04-19-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You know you are over the hill when you paint entire younger generations with a broad brush.

You know you are wet behind the years when you paint entire older generations with a broad brush.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
As an older Baby Boomer, I would object! However, I have forgotten what the topic is, so carry on.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are about 83 million in the Millenial generalization. Seems a tad silly to make general assumptions about 83 million people.

The oldest Millenials are now middle- aged.
Thirties are not "middle aged."

Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm a millennial. I don't think our generation is any different from other generations except for the fact that you see a lot more of us due to technology. There were plenty of whining babies from other generations, but you didn't see or hear them because the internet didn't exist.

We do have more economic challenges than past generations, mostly in regards to housing costs.
I am a baby boomer. The cost of housing in the most desirable areas was way out of my reach. Either I had to have room mates or live in an area I could afford. As more of us gravitated to more affordable areas, they became less affordable- supply and demand.

I bought my first house in 1981. The monthly P&I payment on that same house is less today than it was back then despite 37 years of modest appreciation. It’s all about interest rate, the cost of renting other people’s money to acquire stuff.

The real diff is property taxes.

The median household income in 1981 was $22,787. It’s $59,039 today.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
as an 'older millenial', i see the phrase as primarily a marketing tool that grew into a sort of dog whistle referring to young non-conservatives.

when people say "millenial" they don't seem to be imagining a construction worker or a US marine or a scientist or an accountant. The insinuation is that everyone of this age group is either a sort of effeminate man or androgynous woman, living in the downtown of a really expensive city, who has an art PhD funded by their parents but serves coffee for a living.
No, the general conclusion is that millennials are the least capable generation, yet. Based on actual data.

Quote:
"In literacy, U.S. millennials scored lower than their peers in 15 of 22 countries; in numeracy, they ranked last, along with those in Italy and Spain; and in problem-solving, U.S. millennials tied for last with those in the Slovak Republic, Ireland and Poland.

The data also suggested there has been a trend of declining skills among U.S. adults: The percentage of millennials scoring below the minimum standard (Level 3) in numeracy has increased across all levels of educational attainment since 2003. And although all measures are important, numeracy (how adults use mathematical concepts in everyday tasks) is tied to labor force outcomes more strongly than literacy and problem-solving, says Anita Sands, a co-author of the report.

...Another reason for concern comes when looking at the numeracy scores and educational attainment of U.S. millennials compared with their peers internationally. U.S. millennials who have earned a four-year degree scored higher than their counterparts in just two other countries (Poland and Spain). And the country's most educated millennials – those with master's or doctoral degrees – only scored higher than their peers in Ireland, Poland and Spain."
Millennials More Educated, But Skill Levels Are Dropping

Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Who do you all think raised millenials to be so useless, spoiled and immoral? Where did we come from?

If our generation is so rotten, how did that happen? Did we just take it upon ourselves to be this way without any influence from those that came before us?

If older people actually believe all the nonsense they spew about millenials, they should also take responsibility for their parenting skills. That means they didn't know how to raise children and grandchildren.
The millennial generation has a population of 81 + million.

Not reasonable to make generalizations about millennials, any more so than other generations.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Really don't care to pigeonhole this whole group.

There are things I have noticed in the last decade of mentoring them that strikes me as certain patterns. Certain social and professional etiquette has been thrown out.

But what I admire about them is that they seem less likely to tolerate sexism and racism, etc.

Again...far tio many to decide they are all this or that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies