Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I believe that it is increasingly likely that the immigration debate will split apart both the EU and USA. You can have different tax policies for each state, etc but immigration policy has to be uniform because when someone is let in in one place that can then freely move anywhere else within federal boundaries. With the moderates melting away and the debate centering on 'open borders' vs 'no immigration' there is no middle ground that will satisfy. In Europe the big liberal countries (France and Germany) and trying to force the smaller conservative countries to open their borders and take in many thousands of refugees. In the USA Obama tried to force red states to take in refugees, now Trump is trying to force blue states / cities to deport illegal immigrants. This is going to get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The rise of the authoritarian right is a reaction to the left going too far left and insisting on forcing open borders on people and then calling anyone who raises any concerns a Nazi. I voted almost exclusively Democrat since 2002 but am now considering whether or not their is a place for moderates like me in today's Democrat Party. Based on what I see daily on social media open borders is now the unofficial position of the Democrats. I'm pro immigration if those coming in are vetted for cultural and compatibility and economic need, Democrats seem to believe that all Western nations must cease being majority White and Christian to atone for their racist past and that any immigration standards are inherently bigoted.
It isn’t just the Left that supports open borders. The Right also supports open borders, because it floods the labor market and drives down wages.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It isn’t just the Left that supports open borders. The Right also supports open borders, because it floods the labor market and drives down wages.
No question. The RINO/Neocons/"Republicans" are as guilty as liberals. They all hate the middle-class.

It's rare you find a "conservative" anymore in politics or TV (Tucker Carlson is one of the few in TV I love and respect). "Republicans" are all over, but they are just liberal lite, is what they are.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No question. The RINO/Neocons/"Republicans" are as guilty as liberals. They all hate the middle-class.

It's rare you find a "conservative" anymore in politics or TV (Tucker Carlson is one of the few in TV I love and respect). "Republicans" are all over, but they are just liberal lite, is what they are.
In a sense, they are the most despicable group on the political landscape. Because they stand for nothing, devoid of principle, living for nothing whatsoever beyond extracting as much wealth as they possibly can, from whomever they can, any way they can.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Answer my question first. I'm asking the questions. Either answer the question or go somewhere else.
he's the thread-starter. go demand answers to your questions somewhere else

Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I believe that it is increasingly likely that the immigration debate will split apart both the EU and USA. You can have different tax policies for each state, etc but immigration policy has to be uniform because when someone is let in in one place that can then freely move anywhere else within federal boundaries. With the moderates melting away and the debate centering on 'open borders' vs 'no immigration' there is no middle ground that will satisfy. In Europe the big liberal countries (France and Germany) and trying to force the smaller conservative countries to open their borders and take in many thousands of refugees. In the USA Obama tried to force red states to take in refugees, now Trump is trying to force blue states / cities to deport illegal immigrants. This is going to get ugly.
I really am curious about your assumption that the left wants open borders. I'm a "leftie" and I have never advocated for open borders, nor has anyone who I know. But here's a dose of reality for you; the Chamber of Commerce which is hardly a "left wing" organization has fought e-verify for decades, they sued Arizona when they mandated the use of e-verify. In 2015 the CoC changed their policy and said e-verify is ok as long as employers aren't subject to civil or criminal sanctions for hiring illegals And the hero of the Right, Ronnie Raygun called for an open border with Mexico in 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUXXw6xr4gI

Obama called for mandatory e-verify as part of his immigration reform bill Obama's Leaked Immigration Bill Makes Waves, But Small Ones - ABC News

Life is complex and nuanced, it's always dangerous to try to attribute everything that you consider wrong to one political ideology.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
You can push people only so far before they get fed up and push back.

Wouldn't it be great if Trump convinced his good friend Macron to 'Frexit?'

Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
he's the thread-starter. go demand answers to your questions somewhere else
I'll ask whatever questions I want to ask, where I want to ask them. If you have a problem with that, you can go somewhere else.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll ask whatever questions I want to ask, where I want to ask them. If you have a problem with that, you can go somewhere else.
no one is under even a smidgen of obligation to acknowledge - much less answer - your demanding questions. if you have a problem with that, you can go somewhere else.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no one is under even a smidgen of obligation to acknowledge - much less answer - your demanding questions. if you have a problem with that, you can go somewhere else.
And I'm not under any obligation to withhold my peace. I will ask whatever questions I deem necessary. If said persons don't want to answer my questions, then the least they can do is admit that they don't want to answer them, that they are afraid to answer them. That is why I keep get the "answer a question with a question" response. Said persons don't want to answer. Cowardice. I will keep asking questions because I look out for myself. Stuff like this affects me, so I will ask questions. Whatever affects me, I'm asking questions, and I won't stop asking until I get my answers, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies