Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

I appreciate Mulvaney's honesty that bank lobbyists come first tax payers a distant second. Very strange having the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau telling bankers how to get around the system. and here I thought he was supposed to be protecting consumers in his position.

Draining the Swamp!

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Mick Mulvaney, the interim director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, told banking industry executives on Tuesday that they should press lawmakers hard to pursue their agenda, and revealed that, as a congressman, he would meet only with lobbyists if they had contributed to his campaign.
“We had a hierarchy in my office in Congress,” Mr. Mulvaney, a former Republican lawmaker from South Carolina, told 1,300 bankers and lending industry officials at an American Bankers Association conference in Washington. “If you’re a lobbyist who never gave us money, I didn’t talk to you. If you’re a lobbyist who gave us money, I might talk to you.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/u...on-bureau.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Mulvaney gets big support from payday lenders, who have a big lobby in South Carolina.

They are those places you see all across run-down S.C. strip malls, wedged in between the liquor store and the nail salon, where financially illiterate people can go to get scammed.

To people like Mulvaney, this is a perfectly fine outcome, and any intervention is just the big bad liberal nanny state telling these hard-working entrepreneurs how they can con people, I mean , serve the public.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM

Evidently they made some mistakes with their placement, Mulvaney should be over in commerce or treasury and Pruitt should be heading up the Dept of Energy.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I appreciate Mulvaney's honesty that bank lobbyists come first tax payers a distant second. Very strange having the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau telling bankers how to get around the system. and here I thought he was supposed to be protecting consumers in his position.

Draining the Swamp!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/u...on-bureau.html
Good God. Trump's entire cabinet is the crap that floats on the bottom of the swamp.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently they made some mistakes with their placement, Mulvaney should be over in commerce or treasury and Pruitt should be heading up the Dept of Energy.
Pruitt should be managing a driving range in central Oklahoma, Mulvaney should be a 19th century train conductor.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Got to admire Republicans for bringing their shady back room deals right out in the open.

But still. Openly calling for bribes?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM

Such an odd administration, wasn't Trump so critical of Wall Street and banks when he was campaigning but now we have the head of an organization to protect consumers telling bankers how to circumvent regulations.

His supporters will answer something along the lines that he is different and dismiss pretty much anything. How soon they forget his campaign promises.

Quote:
Donald Trump used to hate Wall Street. Not anymore.

On the campaign trail, he slammed Wall Street for "getting away with murder." He vowed to break up the big banks and force the finance guys to pay higher taxes. His final campaign ad showed ominous photos of the New York Stock Exchange and the CEO of Goldman Sachs and proclaimed it was time to put an end to the political and business elites that have "bled our country dry."
Donald Trump used to hate Wall Street. Now he embraces it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies