Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,126 times

Advertisements

As a former police officer I have to say its no big deal. We always called ourselves police officers. Never policemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,236,593 times
GENDER NEUTRALITY IS FAUX OUTRAGE OVER NONSENSE
In English a general noun, like man, includes both sexes, whereas the feminine form is exclusively female.
Actor = male and female; Actress = female only
Hunter = male and female; Huntress = female only
Hero = male and female; Heroine = female only
More pairs:
Author: authoress
Conductor: conductress
Emperor : empress
God : goddess
Count : countess
Heir: heiress
Host : hostess
Murderer : murderess
Poet : poetess
Waiter : waitress

TELL THE LEFT TO SHOVE THEIR FAUX OUTRAGE - - -

Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,126,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In English a general noun, like man, includes both sexes, whereas the feminine form is exclusively female.
More pairs:

Seriously, you guys are really losing your sh* over nothing. Grab a beer or something lol..

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
More pairs:
Firefighter: firefighter
Police officer: police officer
Spokesperson: spokesperson

Wow, you're right. The world is going to end if we use those terms instead!

Quote:
Oh, man, the best part about this all caps yelling is that you are totally oblivious to the irony of claiming "faux outrage" when that's exactly what your entire post is. You are a funny guy!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did you think it meant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Ditto for firefighter and police officer. Though I usually just say cop because it's shorter.

Do these people realize state statutes aren't medical documents, that if they leave the term policeman in there it's not going to cause a female officer actual harm? What a waste of the assembly's time.
Catgirl, so many loonytoons are mandating this and that, I thought it was another case of, as Kaphawoman stated, an unnecessary waste of their time. Jazzarama says otherwise and I know nothing about it, so I deferred to her.

I'm guessing, however, that not every city, town, village, county and state went through this process. They probably left the wording as it was in legislation and just used less gender-specific words for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It reminds me of college when the text book companies would change 100 words from edition #1 to edition #2 then proceeded to charge the students a billion dollars more for the latest edition (2).

I swear some of the professors were paid off too because they would demand that we get the latest version instead of saving a few bucks on the older version. To top it off they'd make those 100 changed words integral in the lesson plan to screw with anyone who didn't get the latest edition.

We already all know a fireman and a policeman indicate the profession...not the gender.

All about the $

Oh, yeah, I remember that from a hundred years ago when I was in college. By the time my kids got to college some entrepreneurs started companies allowing students to rent books for less money than buying them and then selling them back for .0000000000259% of what they originally paid.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,895,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Everyone I know has been using the phrases firefighter, police officer, mail person, for quite some time.

Do they really need to legislate this though?
Police officer yes. The other 2? Maybe firefighter on occasion. Mail person? Never, maybe as a joke.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:49 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Tell the OP yourself - and then witness more outrage when s/he realizes you've just lumped him/her in with "the left".

No doubt hilarity will ensue.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,126,392 times
So I tried adding multiple solid fuel boosters on either side of the liquid tanks to assist with the shuttle's stablization. But the damn thing just gets heavier in the front. I tried to adjust the stablizing struts to keep it even. I finally got her in the air. Only for her to tumble out of control. I dropped the extra weight and hoped I can glide to a safe stop. Meanwhile my crew is panic stricken and I manage to get one gear down. I hit my parachutes but the velocity ripped them off.

RIP to my little green crew. You guys were brave..

Old 05-03-2018, 05:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Police officer yes. The other 2? Maybe firefighter on occasion. Mail person? Never, maybe as a joke.

Really? You don't use mail person or mail carrier? We have had two mail carriers in three decades - both of them women.

Hey, I'm in Chicago. We refer to all groups of people as 'you guys' but we're flexible with the titles.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,876,410 times
How is "firefighter" new liberal jargon? The term's been in active use for as long as I can remember, so presumably it predates me, and I'm kinda old. Also, it sounds way more badass than "fireman."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies