Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 06:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I contributed to my pension and I worked for a very long time for it. Funny how pensions have become a dirty word to conservatives, someone did a very good job on brainwashing you guys, how sad...
I for 1 have no issue with civil service pensions. I would prefer they be in the form of a 401 k or a like system. Better for the tax payers.

I do have a lot of issues with elected reps pensions, as well as their Health insurance and benefits. We as a nation are far to generous towards such low performing employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 07:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/...38385628712960

Trump likes to brag about GDP growth and low unemployment -- he can't do it without California's contribution. And then nearly every day somebody (usually an out-of-stater) will post something anti-California bleating about poverty rates, homeless, or junkies in the downtown L.A. or S.F., making it sound like the whole state is bad. It isn't.

California: No. 5 economy in the whole world. Americans in all 50 states should be saying "job well done" as a matter of national pride, not trashing us.
Figures for subnational economies when compared to national economies are meaningless. You can't separate out national contributions such as medicare, costs of federal rule setting and enforcement, protection (border and military), and access to a broader market and enforcing that access by the national government.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
I contributed to my pension and I worked for a very long time for it. Funny how pensions have become a dirty word to conservatives, someone did a very good job on brainwashing you guys, how sad...
The benefits offered to government employees are not in line with a free market private business. The burden is passed on to the tax payer, particularly in CA. You have a vested interest to support the way the state is run.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
California is a place for rich people and foreigners who rush in for the great climate/scenery, drive up real-estate prices to ridiculous levels, and bring in cheap illegal-immigrants to work for them to offset the ridiculous prices and make their businesses artificially-competitive.

If you're not in Hollywood, Tech, or real-estate, then you better work for the government, otherwise you get to live with the illegal-immigrants and other impoverished people.
Oooh, you got me! I'm a foreigner (not rich, though) but I don't think I'm hiring any illegals. And I'd argue that my middle-class income allows me a pretty comfortable life.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:

Trump likes to brag about GDP growth and low unemployment -- he can't do it without California's contribution. And then nearly every day somebody (usually an out-of-stater) will post something anti-California bleating about poverty rates, homeless, or junkies in the downtown L.A. or S.F., making it sound like the whole state is bad. It isn't.

California: No. 5 economy in the whole world. Americans in all 50 states should be saying "job well done" as a matter of national pride, not trashing us.
I love California, and the people there. It’s a beautiful state, with the most exquisite coastlines on earth, among other great things, like the climate in SoCal. So I’m not bashing it, just lamenting on what a shame it is to see it on the path to ruin.

The big problem with California is it’s hard left government, and the economic consequences of its disastrous policies. While the economy might be the 5th largest in the world, it’s debt and unfunded debt obligations (approx 3/4 of a Million $$ PER HOUSEHOLD) is staggering.... and with the highest tax rates in the nation already, it’s only going to get much worse, unless fundamental change is implemented (which is highly unlikely).

California is the most regulated state in the nation, with the greatest levels of homelessness, and an inadequate infrastructure, in extreme decay. All of this is no doubt a consequence of its public policies, which have resulted in the astronomical costs of real estate and costs of living.

There is a good article on the unsustainably of California on its current path from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasd.../#44b0d8ef3a23

Facts are facts, and here is one that ought to cause questions .... why are people leaving this beautiful state in droves? The primary reasons are astronomical taxes, and the exploding costs of housing. Businesses are fleeing because of over-regulation ... and, according to the Forbes article, California is LAST PLACE in the nation in the measurement of quality of life.

If you’re ultra wealthy, California is a jewel ... if you’re a working man, it’s a huge struggle to live comfortably.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
It's sad and grossly unethical that we are told an economy is incredibly prosperous, when it is based on spending money now and racking up debt to be payed by others down the road: https://californiapolicycenter.org/c...-1-3-trillion/

If my family earned $50,000 a year but spent $1 million a year -- and only had to pay artificially low interest rates since we controlled the system that applied them -- over a few decades we'd own mansions and giant yachts and Lear Jets, etc., and look like the richest people on the planet. But would we be really be wealthy? I guess if we could stick our kids with the bill, we would be--but our kids sure wouldn't enjoy life very much, with all our bills but none of our goodies.

Someone has to pay the Piper; you can't create wealth by printing monopoly dollars or "borrowing" money that someone else has to pay back with interest.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It's sad and grossly unethical that we are told an economy is incredibly prosperous, when it is based on spending money now and racking up debt to be payed by others down the road: https://californiapolicycenter.org/c...-1-3-trillion/

If my family earned $50,000 a year but spent $1 million a year -- and only had to pay artificially low interest rates since we controlled the system that applied them -- over a few decades we'd own mansions and giant yachts and Lear Jets, etc., and look like the richest people on the planet. But would we be really be wealthy? I guess if we could stick our kids with the bill, we would be--but our kids sure wouldn't enjoy life very much, with all our bills but none of our goodies.

Someone has to pay the Piper; you can't create wealth by printing monopoly dollars or "borrowing" money that someone else has to pay back with interest.
You describe Trump and the Republican congress perfectly

Old 12-01-2018, 10:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:

You are not an independent economy, and you don't have a defense budget like the UK does. So you are a nothingburger, just one state in a 50 state machine. It's the United States economy that is a valid entity. Not the California "economy". There is no California economy.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
California is a place for rich people and foreigners who rush in for the great climate/scenery, drive up real-estate prices to ridiculous levels, and bring in cheap illegal-immigrants to work for them to offset the ridiculous prices and make their businesses artificially-competitive.

If you're not in Hollywood, Tech, or real-estate, then you better work for the government, otherwise you get to live with the illegal-immigrants and other impoverished people.
I've lived in California for 25 years and none of the above applies to me. I live in LA and make a good living, live in a nice and live in a nice, low-crime area (Burbank actually but the city of LA is two miles away (LA County has many independent cities). You are generalizing and the above statements are incorrect. California is a huge state with a very diversified economy. Yes, there are problems. There are things I like and dislike about the state government here. The worst is the housing costs - but that is because of the demand (location, location, location).

Old 12-02-2018, 09:41 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
You describe Trump and the Republican congress perfectly
Deflection activated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies