Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wrong. It was decreasing and at minimal levels before the 1960s where the explosion of welfare started subsidizing and incentivizing single parent households.
Actually, murder rates for the USA as a whole dropped. Murder rates were still high within the Black population, especially compared to everyone else.

Quote:
Wrong again, see statement above

This welfare disaster was predicated in 1965:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ational_Action
Actually, it proves my point. Moynihan saw fatherless homes at high rates within the Black population, before the "welfare disaster". It proves that it was a problem in the 50s and only got worse in the 60s. Question. Why is it that the Black population is suffering worse than anyone else? It isn't this bad in the White population, and they can go on welfare like anyone else.

Quote:
You're suppose to fix the gunshot wound before you fix the paper cut.

Black on black violence is a gunshot wound, police brutality is a paper cut.
Actually, they are both big problems. Here is the thing. I don't live in the ghetto. I live in the suburbs/rural areas. I don't worry about Black on Black crime out here because I'm not seeing it. However, I do worry about the possibility of police harassment/brutality.

And something else. The police are suppose to serve and protect. When an officer hurts and brutalizes someone, then you really won't be safe. I don't expect protection from the average person, or from a hood rat. I know what a hood rat is about. I can avoid a hood rat if I stay away from a hood rat's whereabouts. The police, we need them everyday. For that reason, we don't need an officer who will do stupid things.

Quote:
Statistics are why blacks are racially profiled by police and citizens alike. They justify prejudices and stereotypes.

As as black man, the statistics bother me greatly.
Statistics are sometimes used as an excuse. Blacks have been subjected to harassment and brutality from many police officers for decades, no matter what the statistics were. And the thing is, being racially profiled by the police bothers me much more than the statistics. Why? I don't have to be in a high crime area. However, police officers are in every city. They are needed, and at the same time, I don't want to be profiled by them. If I am being law-abiding, why should I be subjected to racial profiling or police harassment? Why? What is the benefit that I get from it? And does it bother you if you get racially profiled?

Quote:
How hard is it to understand that 13% of the population should not be committing more than 13% of the crime? Show me a country where blacks have it better than us. African Americans are the white people of the black global community.
Well, I can't do anything about individuals who choose to murder each other. I'm Black and I have nothing to do with Black on Black crime. I have never committed a murder. I don't live in the ghetto.

The fact that you say "we're the White people of the Black global community" shows me you think very poorly of being Black. It also shows you don't think much of Blacks in the rest of the world.

Furthermore, what I care about most, is what happens to me where I live. I live in the USA, not in Africa, the West Indies, England,etc. I see myself vis a vis the rest of the U.S. population. Why? I live HERE!!

Quote:
They showed me that I can't depend on the government to save me and that my success and failure are the fault of my own. It's called independence and sell-reliance. It worked for Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, it can work for me.
That isn't good enough. Many Asian communities are self-reliant and there are high numbers of Asians vote Democrat. And most Black people aren't on welfare, so by that measure, they aren't looking to the government to provide them with a living. Proving that one needs to be self-reliant is not a "benefit", it is something you should whether you're a Democrat or a Republican. I am talking about actual, tangible benefits that people in other groups have when they are going to the poll to vote for the next mayor, governor, or President.

And one more question. I've made comparisons between Tulsa and Seattle. Why did you ignore them? Is it because it doesn't fit your agenda?
[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 04:22 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
The problem is not the higher percentage. Obviously blacks won't match the statistics of whites, in any category.

The problem is the percentages in negative categories are increasing, not decreasing. The gaps between blacks and other races are widening. The statistics are getting worse.

This is the evidence of a demographic that is failing even after the election of a black man as president for 8 years and the technological advances that allow people to get college degrees from their own home.

The deterioration of the black community means we are watching a demographic slowly destroy itself in the world' richest country. And a demographic that will remain on the lowest end of the social ladder for the foreseeable future, effectively perpetuating negative stereotypes, prejudices and racial profiling for the foreseeable future.
And my point is that it has been bad compared to other groups no matter what. My point is this: Who do we match Whites in those statistics?

There have been more and more Blacks going to college, getting degrees, and entering the middle class over the past 45+ years. There has been a growth in the Black middle class and Black upper class. The Black UNDERCLASS, however, has gotten worse over the last 45 years. It isn't the "Black community". It's the underclass segment of the Black population. Even with many gains, economically and education-wise within the Black population, there is still a large underclass in the Black population compared to other groups. Blacks are basically starting from a lower point than any other group in America.

Things have gotten better and worse at the same time. But the negative gets more attention than anything else. What bothers me is why the people in the Black population who are doing positive things (and there is more of that going on than the negative) don't get as much attention as thugs and hood rats. What should bother you is that in the American pop culture scene, the thugs get respect, and Black nerds are made out to be "lames" and "jokes".

Yes, there is a deterioration, but it's mainly with the underclass part of the Black population. That has gotten worse while the middle class, the educated, they aren't doing bad at all.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:28 PM

24,633 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, murder rates for the USA as a whole dropped. Murder rates were still high within the Black population, especially compared to everyone else.
Murder and crime rate among blacks was low before the 1960 welfare kicked in, the statistics back it up.

Nothing else effeted the blakc community so drasficly from the 1960 until now exect the the ever-expanding welfare state.

Quote:
Actually, it proves my point. Moynihan saw fatherless homes at high rates within the Black population, before the "welfare disaster". It proves that it was a problem in the 50s and only got worse in the 60s.
It got worse in the 60s because that's then the expansion of welfare happened....

Quote:
Question. Why is it that the Black population is suffering worse than anyone else?
Because blacks believe they need outside help for social advancement are are using welfare at a disproportionate rate.

You can thank the Liberal victim mentality and subsidized single parent hoseholds for that.

Quote:
Actually, they are both big problems. Here is the thing. I don't live in the ghetto. I live in the suburbs/rural areas. I don't worry about Black on Black crime out here because I'm not seeing it. However, I do worry about the possibility of police harassment/brutality.
When blacks stop committing so much crime, police will stop racially profiling you.

Until then, your black skin and my black skin will always be associated with the lowest of the low in the eyes of others.
Quote:
And something else. The police are suppose to serve and protect. When an officer hurts and brutalizes someone, then you really won't be safe. I don't expect protection from the average person, or from a hood rat. I know what a hood rat is about. I can avoid a hood rat if I stay away from a hood rat's whereabouts. The police, we need them everyday. For that reason, we don't need an officer who will do stupid things.
I'm far more afraid than a hood rat than any police. A hood rat has no problem robbing me in broad daylight. There are black neighborhoods I wouldn't dare drive through.

Quote:
Statistics are sometimes used as an excuse.
The statistic are all the solid evidence needs for someone to justify their prejudice, stereotypes, and racial profiling.

You change the statistics, then you will change the stereotype.
Quote:
Well, I can't do anything about individuals who choose to murder each other. I'm Black and I have nothing to do with Black on Black crime. I have never committed a murder. I don't live in the ghetto.
You'll still be subjected to the racial profiling of those who do commit murder.
Quote:
The fact that you say "we're the White people of the Black global community" shows me you think very poorly of being Black.
The blacks who kill other blacks think poorly of being black.

I don't care if Tiger Woods, Ben Carson, and Clarence Thomas all got together and said they think poorly of black people. As long as they are not out committing crime, they have represented the black community perfectly.

Quote:
It also shows you don't think much of Blacks in the rest of the world.
Nope, it shows that African Americans have far more opportunities than blacks in the rest of the world.

Go ahead, tell us what country you rather have been born in than America?

Quote:
Furthermore, what I care about most, is what happens to me where I live. I live in the USA, not in Africa, the West Indies, England,etc. I see myself vis a vis the rest of the U.S. population. Why? I live HERE!!
Yet you just said you don't care what happends to blacks in the ghetto. Stop contradicting yourself.

Quote:
That isn't good enough.
It was good enough for me.

Quote:
And one more question. I've made comparisons between Tulsa and Seattle. Why did you ignore them? Is it because it doesn't fit your agenda?
[/quote]
My agenda is that black issue are largely self-inflicted.

You posting successful black cities proves my point. Just like when I mention black success doctors, lawyers, dentists, engineers, scientists, scholars, intellectuals, entertainers, musicians, athletes, etc. that have all proved that no one is holding blacks back from success.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 PM

24,633 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
And my point is that it has been bad compared to other groups no matter what. My point is this: Who do we match Whites in those statistics?
Before the 1960s, blacks were matching whites in several statistics. Furthermore, there is no reason blacks can't match African immigrants in other statistics.
Quote:
There have been more and more Blacks going to college, getting degrees, and entering the middle class over the past 45+ years.
Makes no difference if the gaps between races are still widening. If 5 more blacks are getting degrees, but 500 more Asians, Hispanics, and whites are getting degrees. There is no real progress. The idea is to decrease the gap, not widen it.
Quote:
there is still a large underclass in the Black population compared to other groups. Blacks are basically starting from a lower point than any other group in America.
Yes, and the blame belongs to democrats for completely butchering the black vote for decades. For the foreseeable future, Chicago and other similar cities will remain war zones controlled by democrats.
Quote:
Things have gotten better and worse at the same time. But the negative gets more attention than anything else.
You can thank BLM for that.
Quote:
What bothers me is why the people in the Black population who are doing positive things (and there is more of that going on than the negative) don't get as much attention as thugs and hood rats. What should bother you is that in the American pop culture scene, the thugs get respect, and Black nerds are made out to be "lames" and "jokes".
What bothers me are statistics and blind loyalty to the democrats. What bothers me is the self-perpetuating fatherless homes liberals have created in their ever-expanding welfare state and the regression of the black community the statistics reflect.
Quote:
Yes, there is a deterioration, but it's mainly with the underclass part of the Black population. That has gotten worse while the middle class, the educated, they aren't doing bad at all.
That is not what the statistics say
Quote:
African Americans were worse off financially in 2016 than they were in 2000.

The median income for an African American household was $39,490 last year, according to U.S. Census Bureau data released this week. It was $41,363 in 2000. (Both figures are in 2016 dollars, so they have been adjusted for inflation).

African Americans are the only racial group the Census Bureau identifies that has been left behind. White, Asian and Latino households have all seen at least modest income gains since 2000.
African Americans are the only U.S. racial group earning less than in 2000

Old 05-05-2018, 04:58 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
There are lots of advocacy groups in Chicago that try to help these youth and stop the violence, and always have been.

Most people who talk about Chicago's gun violence are not from here, have never lived here and don't know what's going on, and also don't know these shootings are gang-related and are gang-on-gang (60% are gang or gang narcotics related) or domestic violence and confined to certain areas. Armed robbery is a small percentage.

Why are white people so concerned about the shootings in Chicago, especially when white people are the least affected by them? Are you concerned about the lives of these black youths or is this just a talking point to justify racism against blacks? When are all these people who love to bring up how horrible Chicago is going to come here to help out?

According to law enforcement, the majority of the guns used in these shootings are brought in from red states where access to purchase guns is much easier--mostly Indiana, Wisconsin and Mississippi. The guns are initially bought legally, then their way is made into the illegal gun selling market.

"Weapons recovered in Chicago were also traced back to Mississippi, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas, according to the report."
I think your information differs greatly from the info I have reviewed. Most of the firearms used in crime originated from within Illinois - followed by guns brought in by neighboring Indiana. Although mention is made of Mississippi and Wisconsin - Wisconsin was a blue state until 2016 - and these reports from the ATF are talking about illegal weapons and how Chicago gangs get them from a study that ran from 2011 - 2014 - way before Wisconsin was red.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Your boy tRump promised to handle this.

"This American carnage stops right here, right now!"

So, what's he waiting for?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The violence is gang-related thanks to the drug cartel that brought in more than 3 billion dollars worth of drugs for Chicago gang members to distribute and sell. The rest of the residents in those areas are casualties of this.

And how the hell does that crap get into this country in the first place? You think our government really can't put a stop to this?

It doesn't matter which party is in office or who has control of the House and Senate. The government wants whatever is going on to continue going on - whether we're talking about poverty in rural America or in urban areas.
Due to geography and transportation, Chicago is a hub for distribution of illegal drugs in the US. Gangs operate at the retail end of the spectrum. The typical customer is a white male in his early 20’s, the safest guy in the ghetto.

Most heroin is sourced from South America, Central America and Mexico. The bulk arrives via boats. Fentanyl comes from China, usually in cargo containers.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

It's been discussed if you'd take a few minutes and read the thread.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

"This American carnage stops right here, right now!"

Trump sent in 20 ATF/ FBI to augment local resources. They are focused on tracing weapons. One ATF agent was shot in the face this week. An officer in another location was also shot this week.

It’s a rare case that’s closed. People don’t talk. Sometimes out of fear. Most times it’s to protect the shooter.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I think your information differs greatly from the info I have reviewed. Most of the firearms used in crime originated from within Illinois - followed by guns brought in by neighboring Indiana. Although mention is made of Mississippi and Wisconsin - Wisconsin was a blue state until 2016 - and these reports from the ATF are talking about illegal weapons and how Chicago gangs get them from a study that ran from 2011 - 2014 - way before Wisconsin was red.
Most guns are sourced from the suburbs, Indiana and Wisconsin.

Straw purchasing is alive and well.

It is reasonable to assume everyone is carrying, legal or otherwise, in some of these neighborhoods.

Chicago’s gun violence rate does not clear top ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies