Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This is pretty sad. Native Americans truly are the lost minority in that no one cares for them.

Would the nervous parent had called the Police if these were 2 black guys dressed in hip hop clothes or how about dressed in traditional African robes? What if the 2 guys were dressed in muslim robes?

What if the 2 young men were "migrants" from Honduras, didn't speak a lick of English, knew nothing of our customs and were here illegally seeking asylum... well in that case the college would have been fawning all over them so they would have been ok...

Blacks, muslims, illegal aliens, they all are a protected class of minorities but the Native Americans are forgotten
Not really. Native Americans get free tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why did NY Times use pictures of the teens in Native American dress?

Their “clothing that stood out” was black concert type t-shirt with black jeans and black hoodie pulled up with black jeans. Of course, NYT does not show that.

Here is footage from when the officer pulled the boys out of the group to talk. Jump to around 2 minute mark for the young men. Both are dressed all in black. The mom (an artist), overreacted which I called out earlier. Now I am calling out the NYT for their agenda.

https://safety.colostate.edu/

Just below that is the call to campus police.
I bet the child of the parent who called doesn’t get admitted, which is sad because I bet he/she was mortified by this incident. The two guys will get in and tuition will be free. So the only real victim is the child of that annoying parent.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is not natural to see Indians in headdress in 2018. I have driven through many reservations and did not see everyday people dressed like that. I am of English ancestry, should people expect me to be dressed like a character in a Shakespeare performance?
Are you shaming me for dressing up like Elizabeth I ?
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...1e0c27f1ab4013

Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
They drove seven hours to tour the campus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/u....co/Uj0KwC1FkJ
No chance these two idiots deserved it I’m sure.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
They drove seven hours to tour the campus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/u....co/Uj0KwC1FkJ
What is wrong with their clothes? What on earth makes their clothing "suspicious"?

As for the shy part, it is incredible how people completely and totally misunderstand shyness in people. They think the person is angry, or that they are manipulating or plotting...it's the stupidest thing, ever.

They should get their own private tour, and someone needs to tell that parent to get out more.
Quote:
“If it’s nothing, I’m sorry, but it actually made me like feel sick and I’ve never felt like that"
People like that **** me off.

However, this part of the story was unnecessary:

Quote:
In the statement, Dr. Frank wrote of his own privilege as “a white man in a position of authority” and spoke of a “battle with hate within our communities,” referring to several recent episodes at the university, in Fort Collins, Colo.
Just shut the hell up, pandering twit.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No chance these two idiots deserved it I’m sure.
are you talking about the brothers?

what makes them idiots?

Old 05-05-2018, 04:23 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
because that's what newspapers do. the NYT wasn't there to take pictures, so they probably asked for photos from the family for printing.

sheesh!

there is no agenda.

if someone dies in a car wreck, should a newspaper take a photo of the dead person's face and print THAT for identification? no, they ask for a photo of the person while he or she was alive!

think!
Keep your head in the sand. The boys were dressed like typical teens, dark jeans and concert t-shirts/hoodie but that doesn’t play their victim angle. The only story here is an artist mom whose imagination got the best of her and she called the police on these boys. Why is she so high strung?

Old 05-05-2018, 04:27 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
There was no reason to call the police. They are teenagers, it's natural for them to wear some crazy clothes. In this case at least one of them has a clear native american look, so the feather headdress is absolutely natural.
The boys were not dressed like the picture NYT put in the story. They were wearing typical black concert t-shirts/hoodie and dark jeans. Not crazy, not even unique and most certainly not native American clothing. See post #18 for video of the interaction.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
She's an idiot, for all the reasons above.

What I don't get is why she assumed that the tour leader didn't know or didn't care who was on the tour? And why she called the cops instead of asking the tour leader?

There's another reason she's an idiot. How does this woman get through life without her own private security guard?????

Old 05-05-2018, 04:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is not natural to see Indians in headdress in 2018. I have driven through many reservations and did not see everyday people dressed like that. I am of English ancestry, should people expect me to be dressed like a character in a Shakespeare performance? Historical dress is just that, historical. Kids do wear crazy cloths. What makes them grow up and act like civilized normal people? When they get sick of the world treating them badly for acting and choosing to look like eccentric fools. Obviously an overreaction to call the law on oddball kids but maybe they will dress and act appropriately when visiting a campus next time.

People so politically correct they can’t see the forest through the trees. Life Requires compliance to socialtal norms. These kids got a good lesson in that fact. No snowflake is so special that they can just do what they want whenever they want.
is that you major burns? in other words you think individuality is fine as long as we all do it together? go ahead and show off your heritage, just dress like everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies