Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
How's the world's 5th largest economy workin' out for Oakland?
Pretty dang well if you work for Pixar or one of the MANY companies that moved there.

Pretty well if you own a shack from your ancestors...which is now worth 400-600K (even in the worst places!).....

Pretty well if you own a service business, restaurant or anything else servicing all these people with money and/or equity.

"Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $649,700 (it was $227,300 in 2000)"

Prices don't go up like that in "failed" places, do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Stop worrying about Oakland, it’s doing just fine. Life must really suck in San Antonio for you to be preoccupied with the politics of a city 2000 miles away.
Have you been to Oakland? There are some nice spots but there’s a lot of hood .

Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Oakland has largely become a s***hole. I assume the residents of Oakland like it that way, and the law abiding must love being unarmed in a very dangerous, risky city. The Democrats want illegal aliens because they vote Democrat, and steal identities in which to do it.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Have you been to Oakland? There are some nice spots but there’s a lot of hood .
Been there. No my cup of tea, but if someone wants to sell me their shack in the hood for 250K I'll buy an unlimited amount of them.

Ever been to NYC? Atlantic City? You know, the places Trump has lived and developed? I got jumped in Atlantic City...others in my family did also. It's a desolate wasteland post-Trump.

Trumps "glory days" in NYC were about the same time they were making the movie "Escape from NY". That's why people from NJ and NY and CT (those closest to him and his "works") all voted against him.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Oakland has largely become a s***hole. I assume the residents of Oakland like it that way, and the law abiding must love being unarmed in a very dangerous, risky city. The Democrats want illegal aliens because they vote Democrat, and steal identities in which to do it.
History is a b-itch, but just so you are least have a summary of it....

Oakland was a major part of the WWII production and logistics. That is largely why it developed as it did - lower middle class folks came there to work in the factories and many other industries and services which fed the Arsenal of Democracy.

After the war, there was little to keep all the industry there....fewer orders and certainly 90% drop in logistics (dock workers, etc.), but the families had already established themselves and bought houses, etc.

And so it became a famous place for trouble- Hells Angels and many other such groups started and expanded there. Drugs, Crime, etc....galore.

Fast forward to the "Internet Age" and it is quickly going upscale with many parts of it already full of million dollar plus homes and condos. It will take awhile to full get there, but you cannot imagine the amount of new construction happening...airport is expanding (big already, but getting bigger), more and more companies moving there, etc.

Glad to provide a basic history for you....it certainly is in a much better position than places like Detroit which have not had another type of economy to move towards.

These things take awhile. Pittsburgh is booming now and has come a LONG way post-industrialization. But it still has far to go....

You don't rebuild entire vast economies overnight.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Been there. No my cup of tea, but if someone wants to sell me their shack in the hood for 250K I'll buy an unlimited amount of them.

Ever been to NYC? Atlantic City? You know, the places Trump has lived and developed? I got jumped in Atlantic City...others in my family did also. It's a desolate wasteland post-Trump.

Trumps "glory days" in NYC were about the same time they were making the movie "Escape from NY". That's why people from NJ and NY and CT (those closest to him and his "works") all voted against him.
Yeah I’ve been to NYC .

It was Rudy Giuliani that really cleaned up NYC . Using what some view as “controversial” measures but it worked and the murder rate went way down .

NYC is the biggest city in America by population though and has a ton of different neighborhoods.

People say Time Square or even much of Manhattan is like Disneyland but most New Yorkers can’t afford to live there . Crime in the Bronx is pretty bad .

Places were the people or normally none wealth folks aren’t great in these cities . Same thing in L.A .

That’s different from say a city like Houston where you could be a “normal person “ and live in a decent safe neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That’s nice . So everyone should just move to Silicon Valley and get one of those high paying tech jobs right ? Why are people spinning their wheels working at McDonald’s when they could be making big money developing apps in Silicon Valley ?

But even the techies often can’t afford to live there ..

Beverly Hills has a low murder rate too .. especially since the Menedez Brothers have been in jail for decades .
Let me guess. You intended for this to be a "let's bash California" thread, but I wouldn't let it happen.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:23 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Stop worrying about Oakland, it’s doing just fine. Life must really suck in San Antonio for you to be preoccupied with the politics of a city 2000 miles away.
Well it does suck when crappy Liberal policies make people from California Flee To Texas...So yes, it does effect us .

Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let me guess. You intended for this to be a "let's bash California" thread, but I wouldn't let it happen.
Not bashing CA , I live here and was born here .

The politicians and their policies are awful and the more “progressive “ they have become the worse things have become .

Despite the liberal lies sanctuary cities aren’t good for legal citizens .

Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Even shacks in the hood start way over 500k these days. I've been looking at 2 bed condos in good buildings near the lake and you have to spend 750k to get that. The lower classes have/are being pushed out of Oakland at alarming rates. I am happy to see the criminal ones leave but the majority are good people that have been pushed out. But, the fact remains that Oakland is still cheaper than SF so that will continue the trend until we are on par. You never know... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies