Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

The article states: "Obviously, there’s going to be a significantly larger percentage of conservatives among those who answer the call to service" unsupported by anything factual. Sounds like they just decided to make it say what they wanted it to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, the list was USN&WR's top 50 liberal arts colleges. Almost exclusively small private liberal arts colleges.

It was also limited to full time professors.

The schools included are all highly selective liberal arts schools.

There are a few hundred liberal arts schools in the US.

According to the actual study, nearly 30% of responders were not registered with a party.

22 states do not require voters to indicate a party preference upon registration.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Why aren't we looking at the political leanings of professors at Liberty University?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
So, what are you saying, you want affirmative action for conservative professors?
Oh snap!

Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Why aren't we looking at the political leanings of professors at Liberty University?
Not to mention Pensacola Christian College and Patrick Henry College.

I'd take Liberty any day over either of these two.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:47 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not to mention Pensacola Christian College and Patrick Henry College.

I'd take Liberty any day over either of these two.

And let's not forget about Bob Jones University, abbreviated BJU.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the OP’s link, the survey was limited to full- time PHD level professors at highly- selective liberal art schools and for unknown reasons, West Point and Annapolis was thrown
in for fun.

Your link reports 50% of college professors work part time across the spectrum of schools. Using data from the Census, the study concluded that 6 % qualify for EITC.

What about the other 94% of adjunct professors?

No shortage of professionals with full time careers are part time adjunct professors. They enjoy teaching and it looks good on their resume.
So a biased study leads to biased responses. I bet if teachers at Christian and religious schools were studied the results would be different.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
Higher education is ENTIRELY over rated....it's simply older men/women telling other younger men/women how to think/feel/be. Why would I give two chits about what another human thinks about how I should live my life? They are just another HUMAN after all. When one REALLY thinks about it, it is pretty ludicrous. Too much clout given to a apiece of paper that says you were able to sit for years and listen to the droning of someone else. And yes, I have a Master's degree. Kind of a waste.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
The type of personality that votes republican is more likely to want to DO things rather than teach them.

Highly educated republicans become doctors, lawyers, and work in the financial sector.

They dont often go after degrees in philosophy, English literature, and other degrees that can basically only lead to teaching.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Actually those who can’t work in their chosen field, teach. Thus liberal type degrees have no real place in the working world so liberals perpetrate their useless degrees by teaching them.
No, not necessarily. The friends and family I have who teach college, do so because that was their goal. They went on to further their education with Masters degrees and PhDs so that they could teach and research.

They aren't doing it because they can't get by in their field.

I am sure that there are some who do it for the reason you specified, but I doubt it would be most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies