Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:05 PM

956 posts, read 745,592 times

Advertisements

So the libs want to offer free education and make the working class conservatives pay for it and yet the teacher unions are striking for higher pay. Free education should have non paid educators. Seems equal to me.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: name calling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
You get what you paid for.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
So the libs want to offer free education and make the working class conservatives pay for it and yet the teacher unions are striking for higher pay. Free education should have non paid educators. Seems equal to me.
Why, as a so-called "conservative," are you whining about government schools?

Option 1--homeschool.
Option 2--private school.

You should be calling for the abolishment of government schools instead. There is no such thing as "free" government education. Government schools are still paid via property taxes.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-09-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 08:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Most of the teachers around this country are underpaid, it is downright shameful. Preparing our youth for their futures is a challenging and important task, all the more-so because we are a republic of free citizens.

This is something that needs to be taken care of and you cheapskates should wise up before you wreck our country.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-09-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Most of the teachers around this country are underpaid
Absolute bunk, pure nonsense, easily proved false.

When adjusted for number of hours worked and cost/quality of benefits included in total compensation, teachers outperform median individual wages in the vast majority of US markets, often by a very serious margin.

You run that calculation on 2-3 school systems per state, compare to the median individual wage listed for that school system's particular market, and see for yourself. Teachers do just fine in this country.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM

352 posts, read 324,879 times
Quote:
Where did you go to school? Did you go to public school? Do you believe that NOBODY should have access to education without paying for it?

And the teachers are not striking for pay increases. They are striking for BUDGET increases so they actually have supplies to teach with and for districts to increase benefits so more people are willing to teach so class sizes will go down.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-09-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM

352 posts, read 324,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Absolute bunk, pure nonsense, easily proved false.

When adjusted for number of hours worked and cost/quality of benefits included in total compensation, teachers outperform median individual wages in the vast majority of US markets, often by a very serious margin.

You run that calculation on 2-3 school systems per state, compare to the median individual wage listed for that school system's particular market, and see for yourself. Teachers do just fine in this country.
Source?

Teachers work VERY LONG hours. They don't just work the school day, they spend hours working on lesson plans and grading. Often I will spend 10+ hours of my weekend doing that stuff. Additionally, I work from 7am to 7pm on days when we have games because I am also a coach. There are frequently weeks where I'm putting in 60+ hours. This is in a profession where an MA/MS is generally required and that requires licensing and other hoops. Plus, THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE PUT IN CHARGE OF BUILDING UP THE NEXT GENERATION.

My starting pay offer for teaching jobs in San Diego was $31,000/yr. In a city where it costs $1,500/mo for a bedroom...how is that a living wage? I moved to Las Vegas because they actually pay a living wage to teachers here, but it's still a very meager wage considering the time, expertise and patience needed for the job.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Source?
Publicly available information about per capita wages and published wage/benefit charts from school systems. Simple calculations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Teachers work VERY LONG hours. They don't just work the school day, they spend hours working on lesson plans and grading. Often I will spend 10+ hours of my weekend doing that stuff. Additionally, I work from 7am to 7pm on days when we have games because I am also a coach. There are frequently weeks where I'm putting in 60+ hours. This is in a profession where an MA/MS is generally required and that requires licensing and other hoops. Plus, THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE PUT IN CHARGE OF BUILDING UP THE NEXT GENERATION.

My starting pay offer for teaching jobs in San Diego was $31,000/yr. In a city where it costs $1,500/mo for a bedroom...how is that a living wage? I moved to Las Vegas because they actually pay a living wage to teachers here, but it's still a very meager wage considering the time, expertise and patience needed for the job.
1) I'd bet dimes to donuts that any extracurricular work like coaching receives a bonus. Three people in my family work in the same public school system, and all the coaches of all the teams, even when they do very little, get a stipend/bonus for coaching.

2) Try crying your unpaid overtime river to someone who hasn't been salary exempt their entire working life (now at 32 years). Fact is, you work 50-65 fewer days than a standard 2080 hour work year full time employee. The school year is 180 days in most school systems, and teachers get an additional 7-10 depending. Divide your salary by the ratio of your actual CONTRACTED workdays / 260, and you'll see how much you actually make adjusted to a full time schedule.

3) Compare the quality and then cost of your non-salary benefits to non-teachers in the private sector. You'll be shocked how good you actually have it.

4) Standard high school day is 6-7 classes, 45-50 minutes long. If you teach at a school that has 7 classes that are each 50 minutes long, your "work day" is just a shade under 6 hours long, and includes 6 breaks of at least 5 minutes plus lunch. If you do indeed add 10 hours per week grading papers, preparing lesson plans, etc, now your work week is ~40 hours. And uh oh, you still get 10-12 more weeks of vacation than a non-teacher gets. So sandard work hours per week, and 9 months of work instead of 12. My heart bleeds...not.

5) The US public school system has overseen the drop in our relative standing with the world on math/reading proficiency to our current 38th of 71 in reading and 24th of 71 in math. If they are in charge of building the next generation, they are becoming increasingly worse at doing so, or our future is as a nation of calculator dependent illiterates who outsource problem solving to the rest of the developed world.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why, as a so-called "conservative," are you whining about government schools?

Option 1--homeschool.
Option 2--private school.

You should be calling for the abolishment of government schools instead. There is no such thing as "free" government education. Government schools are still paid via property taxes.
On this, the US taxpayers drop ~$700 billion into public education across all levels. Hell, the US DoED spends close to $200 billion annually and they add exactly zero value to US education whatsoever.

It's totally "not free" in any sense of the word. Americans pay tons for public education, and increasingly are getting less value for the money they do spend.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
I believe in workers having the right to organize and protect their interests against corporations. But teachers work for the taxpayers. I don’t quite understand why they can be unionized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies