Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:41 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is a great question, especially on a part of the forum, that quite frankly tends to be less than civil.

A few questions to probe deeper in to that I have come to mind:

When were things more civil? What changed to make them go downhill? Did it happen gradually or suddenly? Were things really that civil in the "good old days" or is nostalgia distorting the perception? What is the underlying cause(s) if political discourse has gotten less civil? How do we combat it? What about today's climate is making civil political discourse harder? Is there anything about today's climate that could actually help improve discourse? What kind of leadership is needed to see this improve?

I wish I had an answer for you, but I hope this thread yields some productive discussion, instead of the tired "things would be civil had [______political figure I don't like, whoever that may be, or had been] not gone into office."
I say gradually. I've always said that folks voting for the lesser of two evils will just continue to put forth more evil candidates, and we have seen some REALLY bad candidates. At the national level you had Trump and Clintin, and on the local level you have pedophiles and criminals running. Unfortunately the more people dig in on "their sides" and vote for the lesser of two evils, the worse it will continue to get. We need viable 3rd parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
John Adams had his crew spread this lovely bit about Jefferson:

And Jefferson had a man named Callender give back in equal measure. Of Adams: rageful, lying, warmongering fellow; a "repulsive pedant" and "gross hypocrite" who

So it seems nastiness and ill-temperament is just the American way.

Good post. Yeah it was just as nasty then, if not more so. If you google for quotes by John Adams about Alexander Hamilton, you'll find some not fit to print on CD. And of course Adams wanted to put newspaper men in jail for printing stuff he didn't like--not very civil!

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
As long as people:

1.) Vote
2.) Believe in government
3.) Identify as "liberal" or "conservative"
4.) Refuse to think critically
5.) Live in echo chambers

There will never be civilized discourse.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
I think part of the problem is that, increasingly, there is an attitude that "anything goes, so long as it's my side saying it." Rudeness, cruelty, and disrespect are all overlooked when they come from those with whom we agree, and are picked up on and flogged to death when they come from an opponent.

If people at all points on the spectrum started holding their own allies a bit more accountable for their behavior, I think it would go a long way toward improving the general tone of political discourse.

As to whether or not it's always been this bad, it doesn't seem like it. Sometimes, to be sure, it's been as bad or worse, but I can remember times in my life when it was much, much better. I think part of the problem might be the 24/7 news cycle. It's possible to spend literally every waking moment consuming political content now, and that didn't used to be the case. Not sure what can be done about that, it would be like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
We could start in trying to get more civil on CD. How about no more one line troll posts with no point other than to make the poster feel 'special?' How about no spreading of inaccurate memes, then never returning to say 'I stand corrected' when the meme is dismantled, often for the 100th time. How about no stuffing words into peoples' mouths? How about no arguments via imaginary dialogue, often with fake Southern accent thrown in?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Will it continue to get less and less civil?

Will it ever bottom out?
What?!?!?!?!?

This is the most "civil" it has ever been. Have you ever read about what went on at party conventions back in the 1800s? And those people were on the same "team".

Sweet Jesus, thank goodness there was no Twitter back then.

Digesting politics as a whole we can see that it's an immoral and illogical social construct therefore don't expect the better angels of our nature to be on display within the paradigm.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Yeah, it would be better to look at this from a bigger picture level, just because specific politicians come and go.

There are too many other worn out threads that get into the painstaking deals of who did what wrong. It would be nice to have a thread that talks about what needs to change about the process/discourse or how people need to look at these issues in general, so that discussion actually accomplishes something useful instead of pointing fingers and going around in circles doing nothing worthwhile.
We need to find some type of common ground. Any type of common ground. Right now we can't even agree what our nation is and what it stands for. We have no unifying principle that we can fall back on.
We even argue about the constitution, our founding document. How people can read the same words and come up with a different meaning is a real problem and a mystery to me..

Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LOL!

You mean the guy who said 'they bring a knife, we bring a gun.' The guy whose chief of staff's favorite line was 'eff em, we've got the votes?' (but with the real f-bomb substituted). And who once gave a talk holding a steak knife while reciting a list of enemies, declaring each one 'dead' while stabbing the steak knife into the table.

You mean the guy who said "punish our enemies."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVzMzX4hiE

And according to Hillary Clinton had a chief strategy of race-baiting in the 2008 primaries? Is that the sort of civility to which you refer?

Picking cherries and dingleberries. Give us a handful of disconnected quotes as a personal statement.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
The problem isn't incivility. You'd be astonished by the things that politicians and their supporters said about their opponents in both the 19th and 20th centuries in American politics. The problem is that we have created a society in which people can segregate themselves, both in "the real world" and in cyberspace, where they can be around people who think just like they do and can avoid people with whom they disagree. Consequently, they know nothing about their opponents and, by extension, little about themselves and their own beliefs. Both sides than bury themselves further in their cocoons.

The Internet has turned out to be a net negative, by the way.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
The whole point of politics is fighting over power - power to impose your will on the population. That's a recipe for eternal conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies