Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:40 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I always wondered who maintains grid then? Power lines don't stay up themselves, trees fall, poles break, storms blow, lightning hits, etc.

Getting paid to push electric back on the grid is like driving on the road and paying no gas tax to maintain such road. Know what would be a super idea, if no one paid gas tax So if everyone is solar, again, where is the money to maintain grid coming from?

If no one is paying to maintain grid, how is that more reliable?
Power companies aren't going away. It's their responsibility to maintain the grid system, at least it is where I live. Eventually, there may be a tax on solar power to pay for it if need be. Here, the power company no longer buys back the extra electricity. People need to store their electricity in the form of batteries that provide power in the evenings and cloudy days. If there isn't enough stored or generated by the solar system, then power is again supplied by utilities. You're not cut off from the grid system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 06:02 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,356 times
How about liability? Who is responsible for backfeed? Tree snaps primary wire at pole, utility side is ground faulted dead on the ground. Your home back-feeds 240V up to the transformer, it is stepped up to 13000V and back down the primary wire dangling just over the ground. Someone touches it and dies. Or it is laying on your neighbor's bush and while cleaning up sticks, he grazes it and goes full sparkler.

Is the utility responsible for your backfeed?

All of a sudden a million dollar lawsuit isn't that cost effective.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
How about liability? Who is responsible for backfeed? Tree snaps primary wire at pole, utility side is ground faulted dead on the ground. Your home back-feeds 240V up to the transformer, it is stepped up to 13000V and back down the primary wire dangling just over the ground. Someone touches it and dies. Or it is laying on your neighbor's bush and while cleaning up sticks, he grazes it and goes full sparkler.

Yes, it's the utilities responsibility to keep the power lines operating no matter what the reason for it going down. Nothing changes. Just like now if a tree falls on it, they fix it. If a transformer blows up, they fix it.
If you want details of different circumstances you can always call your utility company and ask them.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:

I think you're not looking into it far enough. It's pretty easy to detect whether the utility side power is up and stable, and use a relay to keep your system disconnected when something abnormal occurs to the utility side power. The chances of what you describe actually happening is quite low.

I personally think we will be moving away from the need for utility power over time as technology improves. Whatever technology emerges that will finally be good enough to achieve this probably hasn't been invented yet. So to force builders to include this particular immature technology into homes at this time is probably a mistake, because in 10 or 15 years it has the potential to be woefully obsolete, and may not have even paid for itself in that short of a time.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
If no one is paying to maintain grid, how is that more reliable?

In many states they are starting to charge homeowners that have solar, this how it should be should. Otherwise it's just normal ratepayers footing the bill.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
How about liability? Who is responsible for backfeed?

There is specific setup to prevent that. You can't just hook a solar array to your meter.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I think you're not looking into it far enough. It's pretty easy to detect whether the utility side power is up and stable, and use a relay to keep your system disconnected when something abnormal occurs to the utility side power. The chances of what you describe actually happening is quite low.

I personally think we will be moving away from the need for utility power over time as technology improves. Whatever technology emerges that will finally be good enough to achieve this probably hasn't been invented yet. So to force builders to include this particular immature technology into homes at this time is probably a mistake, because in 10 or 15 years it has the potential to be woefully obsolete, and may not have even paid for itself in that short of a time.
I don't know if I agree although I think you're right on some level. I personally know someone who had an electric bill of $500 $600 a month and now generate enough electricity to where they are paying $0. I think their cost for the solar is less than $200 per month. The system was paying for itself from day 1. They've had the system for about 6-7 years already.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know if I agree although I think you're right on some level. I personally know someone who had an electric bill of $500 $600 a month and now generate enough electricity to where they are paying $0. I think their cost for the solar is less than $200 per month. The system was paying for itself from day 1.
I'm not sure I agree with that either. The cost of installing solar capable of generating that much power is very high, especially 6-7 years ago.

What I would believe is that they are paying $200/month towards their massive debt they incurred when they bought their system, at who knows what interest rate.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know if I agree although I think you're right on some level. I personally know someone who had an electric bill of $500 $600 a month and now generate enough electricity to where they are paying $0. I think their cost for the solar is less than $200 per month. The system was paying for itself from day 1.

That's wonderful, when the tax credit comes up again in Congress they can do away with it. Clearly it's not needed anymore based on what you are posting.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:38 PM

I'm sure the people that installed it received all kinds of credits from the state of CA. This was when solar was still rather new and companies were making all kinds of deals to get them installed. In fact, I was told they also got a new roof with the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies