Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Cotton is indeed a neocon fanboy, and I'm sure quite excited about Trump pulling out of the Iran deal. He even looks like a snake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
What a bulldozer. Did he run unopposed or was there someone actually worse than him? Hard to imagine it was the latter.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Cruz is a principled constitutionalist conservative. Of course people on the left loathe that. He's a clear and present danger to their rent-seeking schemes. Embezzlers can be expected to loathe auditors.

I could care less about a congress critters personality, which seems to be the complaint here about both Cruz and Cotton. I care about their principles, intelligence, and experience. Alan Dershowitz, who was a law prof of Cruz, called him 'off the charts brilliant.'
There is nothing "principled" about Ted Cruz
He allowed Trump to disparage his father as someone involved in the assassination of JFK
And he allowed him to personally describe his wife as ugly
And he went to dinner at the WH and voted for Trump's measures in Senate
In Texas people who voted for Cruz would have respected him more if he had not gone to the convention at all
The only reason Cruz went was to keep his campaign money locked up
Cruz gets elected because he has an R and a big campaign chest
It will be interesting to see how O'Rouke's grass roots campaign will work
So far he is getting strong donations and trying to stay away from the DNC hierarchy

Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Tom Cotton co-sponsored the Raise Act, a common sense immigration bill. I wonder what happened to it. It would be a shame if his bill stalled just because of his personality. Dems care about feeeeelings but I thought Republicans were more logical. I take everything in the WashingPoo Bezos Blog with a grain of salt so will have to see what other news sites have to say about him.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Default Senator Tom Cotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If both conservatives and liberals don't like him - how does he keep getting elected?
Cotton, the junior senator from Arkansas, has only been elected to the Senate once & is in his first term of office.
Hopefully Arkansans will wise up to so as to know what a horrible person & senator he really is and will dump him if & when he chooses to run for reelection.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Senator Cotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
He can't possibly be disliked more than Ted Cruz, though, right? People apparently loathe Cruz.
Yes, you are correct in that Senator Cruz of Texas is loathed by his colleagues in the Senate.
But apparently Cotton is giving him a run for his money in that regard.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
As I suspected there is a slightly different story than the one spun by the Bezos Blog

Cotton pointed out that several Democratic lawmakers currently on the Senate intelligence committee voted to confirm former CIA director John Brennan to the same position in 2013. Democratic lawmakers have opposed Haspel’s nomination for playing a limited role in the CIA’s enhanced interrogation techniques of Al-Qaida detainee’s in the mid-2000’s.
Lawmakers have specifically fixated on Haspel’s assistance in drafting a cable for her then boss ordering the destruction of interrogation tapes.

Tom Cotton Dems Hypocrisy On Gina Haspel | The Daily Caller

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If both conservatives and liberals don't like him - how does he keep getting elected?

Spend some time in Alabama, as I was forced to do in the Military and your question will be answered. The prevailing concept of balance there, is to eat half a dozen moon pies and drink a six-pack of malt liquor. That's the peak of culture and cuisine there. Just look at some of the political "stars" they've produced: George Wallace, Sheriff Jim Clark, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, Roy Moore and now, Cotton.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-10-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Senator Cotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
As I suspected there is a slightly different story than the one spun by the Bezos Blog

Cotton pointed out that several Democratic lawmakers currently on the Senate intelligence committee voted to confirm former CIA director John Brennan to the same position in 2013. Democratic lawmakers have opposed Haspel’s nomination for playing a limited role in the CIA’s enhanced interrogation techniques of Al-Qaida detainee’s in the mid-2000’s.
Lawmakers have specifically fixated on Haspel’s assistance in drafting a cable for her then boss ordering the destruction of interrogation tapes.

Tom Cotton Dems Hypocrisy On Gina Haspel | The Daily Caller
Using the Daily Caller of all sources to prop up an argument you are making all the while denigrating the Washington Post? Considering all of the controversies that have plagued the Daily Caller, such as their relationship with & defense of white nationalist Jason Kessler, all I can say is: Good grief! That's rich irony!
The thrust of what you have linked & also highlighted here does absolutely NOTHING to counter the point of the WaPo opinion piece I linked in my original post. And that is the fact that for good reason Tom Cotton is despised by both his Republican & Democratic colleagues in the Senate to the extent that he now perhaps has surpassed the level of loathing they also feel for Senator Ted Cruz of Texas.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Spend some time in Alabama, as I was forced to do in the Military and your question will be answered. The prevailing concept of balance there, is to eat half a dozen moon pies and drink a six-pack of malt liquor.
Well to be fair, Alabama now has a balanced Senate delegation for the next few years - thanks to a very unusual sequence of events in what is normally one of the most rigidly conservative states.

Cotton is likely going to be in the Senate for a long time unless he sets his sights even higher or gets picked for a Cabinet position. He is currently the youngest Senator and from a state where Republicans are fully dominant these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies