Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:01 PM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-take-power

Good for Italy. I predict their GDP will rise to the top of the EU. They currently have the most sluggish economy in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
apparently OP ignored these other parts that might contribute as well:
Quote:
a guaranteed income for the poor and a lower retirement age

And BTW its WAY too early for anyone to do a guaranteed income.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
apparently OP ignored these other parts that might contribute as well:

I read that and I am all for it. If they can lower taxes and help the poor and elderly good!

They are also expelling more illegal immigrants and looking at renegotiating EU trade deals.

Let me see, lowering tax rates, getting tough on illegals and analyzing trade deals. Sounds a little familiar for some reason.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I read that and I am all for it. If they can lower taxes and help the poor and elderly good!

1. Its too early still to do a minimum income guarantee. The 15% flat tax to achieve this will be way too little.
2. changing the retirement age will also strain that.

I will be surprised if 15% is sufficient. Especially since their current income tax rate STARTS at 23% and goes to 43%.

Thinking you can lower taxes and bam magic occurs allowing you to spend so much more is fantasy land. While Republicans do it here, nothing to the extent that this represents.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
What I like about the OP's article is it shows that the right and left came together and made a horse trade. The right bagged the flat tax that considerably lowered taxes and the left ended up with lowering the retirement age and guaranteed income. And also looks like Italy is going to get tough on immigration. Time will tell lets see how it works out.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
1. Its too early still to do a minimum income guarantee. The 15% flat tax to achieve this will be way too little.
2. changing the retirement age will also strain that.

I will be surprised if 15% is sufficient. Especially since their current income tax rate STARTS at 23% and goes to 43%.

Thinking you can lower taxes and bam magic occurs allowing you to spend so much more is fantasy land. While Republicans do it here, nothing to the extent that this represents.

It is 15% and 20% for those earning close to $100K or more. But yes big drop.

I don't understand the thinking on the left that keeping more money in the hands of government is a good thing.

Its quite simple. Lower taxes and money will flow in from high tax countries like France. It will stimulate business and GDP growth. People will have more money to spend which will help all people in all sectors of the economy.

Ireland is booming since their tax cuts took effect. Their GDP growth is 3 times faster than any other european country:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ntry-1.3383307

In Ireland they lowered taxes and boom magic occurred.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I don't understand the thinking on the left that keeping more money in the hands of government is a good thing.
Im not sure I understand the right that believes that magically lowering taxes and increasing spending more will somehow work despite overwhelming evidence that this fails. Over and over.

Quote:
Its quite simple. Lower taxes and money will flow in from high tax countries like France. It will stimulate business and GDP growth. People will have more money to spend which will help all people in all sectors of the economy.
uh huh. while it may be true in the short term-in the long term massive debt growth will suck all of that back and more. This is a massive giveaway to the wealthy who will have the money to buy that debt thats created by massive deficit spending.
Quote:

Whether or not this will be enough to offset the steep tax cuts will remain to be seen. They can always go back and raise them if necessary.
But with a higher amount of debt that the rich will have purchased. This is idiocy at best. The poor might cheer n the guaranteed income, and maybe it will stick. But the other side is betting that they can make the tax cut stick. One of these two sides is wrong.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Im not sure I understand the right that believes that magically lowering taxes and increasing spending more will somehow work despite overwhelming evidence that this fails. Over and over.

uh huh. while it may be true in the short term-in the long term massive debt growth will suck all of that back and more. This is a massive giveaway to the wealthy who will have the money to buy that debt thats created by massive deficit spending.

But with a higher amount of debt that the rich will have purchased. This is idiocy at best. The poor might cheer n the guaranteed income, and maybe it will stick. But the other side is betting that they can make the tax cut stick. One of these two sides is wrong.

Italy has high taxes and slow growth with 2nd highest debt ratio next to Greece. They tried your way and they have a mess now.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Wait Fantasyland is in Italy, I thought it was only in Anaheim CA; Lake Buena Vista, FL; Tokyo; Hong Kong; Paris; Shanghai. That said, all kidding aside I hope this works but I'm very cautious on it based on U.S. economic policy.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
it really doesnt matter because all the third world migrants will eventually drain the social welfare services and collapse the EU eventually......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies