Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's not a good analogy. Any payouts in the private sector, are NOT paid by the taxpayer.
They most certainly were. Where do you suppose the failed banks got their money to still pay the bonuses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
If the guy performed his duty for 30 years (or however long he worked) and failed once - he'd have a good track record. Of course, if you qualify the results of that one failure... you get this mess.

He's entitled to the pension. Even if he is a scumbag.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM

447 posts, read 558,132 times
So the pension is higher than his salary! I would retire earlier if I was him.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Unsure about Florida but here in NJ I get 65% pension of my last full years salary, not counting overtime. NY gets 50% of their last years salary, including overtime. The pension amount for Florida seems really high IMO. Perhaps some Florida LEO retires can chime in.

Though he failed horribly in one of his last duties as a uniformed officer, he is still entitled to the pension he earned by putting in his years beforehand.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
This is nobody's business.

So ,what?
It most certainly is their business if they live in the city/ state where this is happening!

THEIR tax dollars are whats being used to pay him this money.

The citizens of Parkland should stand up and correct this mistake immediately, they are within their rights to do so.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:37 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It most certainly is their business if they live in the city/ state where this is happening!

The citizens of Parkland should stand up and correct this mistake immediately, they are within their rights to do so.
The man qualified for his pension, there is NOTHING anyone can do to take it away from him. They can stand up all they want, it would be a waste of energy.
No one likes it that he was able to retire and get paid for life, but the formula is set in stone.
He will get paid until the day he dies. If he is married, he can have his wife continue to collect until she dies, simply by taking a little less during his lifetime
Most departments base retirement on a formula, the City I worked for used a 3% at 50 formula for police, meaning a sworn officer was eligible to retire at age 50, and would be paid 3% for each year of service. If an officer put in 30 years and retired at the minimum age of fifty, he would get 3% X 30 years, or 90% of his pay. If he worked until he was 60, he would get 3%X40, or120% of his pay for life.
Many departments use a 2.5% at 50, so they would make a little less, it all depends on how their plan was set up and voted on, so yes, it's easy to make more in retirement than what you earned while working. Easy if you consider working 40 years at a tough job like being a cop as easy.
Most police departments set the minimum age at 50 because it's a tough job, regular govt employees have a minimum of 55 or 60 years of age, depending on how their retirement plan voted on and approved.
They offer good benefits because the pay is low compared to comparable jobs in the private sector, so it's one way to attract candidates to the job.
I worked for the government, not as an officer, but I was making far more on the outside, I took a cut in pay to work for a government agency, I went for the benefits as do many.. My formula was 2% at 55, so much less than a sworn officer.
All of that to explain how government retirements are decided on, I still hate to see the coward get paid for life after what he allowed to happen to those innocent victims.

Last edited by Grumpy ol' Man; 05-16-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Plus, he is free to go work somewhere else and still receive his full pension.

Parkland school cop Scot Peterson gets $8,702 a month in pension - Sun Sentinel

He should get the Stockade in the public square for a year.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:30 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
I think his pension is too high but that has nothing to do with what happened on that one day. Also it appears according to some accounts he did what he was supposed to do according to procedure.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:31 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Plus, he is free to go work somewhere else and still receive his full pension.

Parkland school cop Scot Peterson gets $8,702 a month in pension - Sun Sentinel

That's pretty good. Good for LEOs. They hit the jackpot when they retire!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

No it's not. I think he was a horrible cop but what his retirement is no ones business .If people were concerned they should have told the commissioners not to ok the Police contract.His retirement is not your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies