Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

The title says it all...

Quote:
The University of Akron has put its foot down against a professor who planned to raise the grades of female students so they would stay in his field of information sciences.

After The College Fix quoted an email to students from Liping Liu, an administrator told The Fix that the business and management professor’s gender-based approach was “unacceptable” and that no grades have been artificially raised.

Liu admitted to The Fix that his plan could be “questionable,” but said he wanted to “test the water” to see if this approach could “attract female students into future classes” and help correct chronic gender imbalances in his field.
Read the whole story here:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/45009/

************************************************** ************************************

Lunacy. Pure lunacy.

How in the world is this beneficial to anyone? All students are cheated by an uneven playing field. Future employers are cheated because they can't accurately assess potential hires. And the public is cheated when an unqualified person, who you believe to be in that position on merit, performs a service for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Sometimes I think the only solution is to burn it all down and start over.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Dumb idea... that being said it wasn't so long ago that men were perfectly happy having the advantage.... just sayin.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Didn't some other school lower the STEM standards last year for the same reason?

I think we've seen this play before and it didn't end well.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Dumb idea... that being said it wasn't so long ago that men were perfectly happy having the advantage.... just sayin.
What advantage?

Getting 8 out of 10 questions right on a test is an 80% no matter whether you pee standing up or sitting down.

Go ahead and try it without the actual urination part. Sit in a chair and run the math: 80%. Stand up and run the math: 80%.

I promise.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The title says it all...

Read the whole story here:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/45009/

************************************************** ************************************

Lunacy. Pure lunacy.

How in the world is this beneficial to anyone? All students are cheated by an uneven playing field. Future employers are cheated because they can't accurately assess potential hires. And the public is cheated when an unqualified person, who you believe to be in that position on merit, performs a service for you.
this ties in beautifully with the 'identity politics harming science' thread.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Didn't some other school lower the STEM standards last year for the same reason?

I think we've seen this play before and it didn't end well.
Thankfully the University put a stop to it before he put the policy in motion.

Quote:
He referred to Facebook’s “Annual Leadership Day for female employees around the world” and to Google’s training program for “women to establish links with men in coding.” Liu said he was also following a plan of action by Microsoft to close the gap between men and women in STEM and IT fields.
He's just following the the SJW playbook at those companies.

I believe Saltine was right: burn it down and start over.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this ties in beautifully with the 'identity politics harming science' thread.
I know.

I'm too damn old to learn how to do everything on my own. Pretty soon you won't be able to go to a doctor, a barber, a mechanic, a chimney sweeper, etc. without it being someone who got coddled through the process of mastering their craft.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to start now. Anyone want to volunteer for a brain surgery? I'll start there and need the practice.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Ridiculous.

Women aren't retarded. We don't need pity boosts.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Time for a vagina round-up.

What do I get if I bring in 3 ?

A diploma ?

Seriously though, they have been lowering standards for 50 years. They raise fees and taxes but rarely standards. Auto and safety standards are the exception to that and they get lowered at times.

Last edited by phma; 05-16-2018 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies