Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

A 'hero?'

How did they know what he was texting? I sure as heck don't stare at what people text. And just like with the other incident, why not try losing weight?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...125902786.html
Quote:
A woman has told of how she was fat-shamed on a flight by the man sitting next to her and how her faith in humanity was restored after the kind act of a stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Oh that's great. Another thread talking about fat people on flights.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
i am not fat, but I don't think fat people should be shamed like that. (If her story was true.)

They already know that they are overweight, nobody needs to be play the information police here and fat shaming simply does not work for most people. Plus, if the guy was indeed fat shaming her (if being the keyword), I have to say that the guy was a jerk. I am sure he does not look perfect, right?

Plus, to me, that girl has a pretty face. She is a bit chubby, so what? Who is really perfect?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A 'hero?'

How did they know what he was texting? I sure as heck don't stare at what people text. And just like with the other incident, why not try losing weight?

If you could be a little less ugly on your next flight we all would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Would the OP like to post some pics so we can evaluate their fitness level for ourselves and make suggestions for how they can improve their appearance?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Was she so fat she couldn't fit in a shower? Being overweight is no excuse for neglecting your hygiene.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Story serves as a good reminder to mind your own business and not "eavesdrop" into a stranger's text conversation. She had to be practically sitting in his lap to be able to read a text message. How on Earth could the guy behind her read it? Story is missing pertinent facts because it reads better this way. My takeaways: people can be pretty vile about sitting next to an overweight person on a plane. Overweight people can be hyper-sensitive about their condition. When the two meet, there will be drama. Does it belong on the news? Jesus, hell no.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
yeah slow news week, probably.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
A 'hero?'

My thoughts exactly. If she was not "phone spying" none of this would have been an issue. What kind of creepy person reads a total strangers texts without permission? In some places she might have broken the law.

And if she is that sensitive about her weight issues how about do something about it? She can't expect a so called hero to come to her defense every time someone tells the truth.

From personal experience I loathe sitting next to an obese person on a flight. They tend to crowd the already limited space and often have body odor.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
A 'hero?'

Oddly, to me, you have previously held a different position on the issue of overweight people.

For instance, in the following thread, about a Santa telling a nine year old to 'lay off the burgers', you wrote:

"The concept of professionalism and common courtesy/decency has long ago disappeared from most of America.

Anyone in their right mind would realize that what this Santa said was wrong. It has nothing to do with limp wristed liberals or snowflake Americans. This Santa was paid to be what a Santa is supposed to be for kids. A Santa that makes kids smile and thinks their wish will be granted. NOT some smart arse making snide comments about a person's appearance.

But like I said, many won't get that. These are the types of people that always blame those that are rightfully offended. They'll think it perfectly acceptable for store clerk to insult an overweight customer trying on clothes. Things like that.

Of course, in some situations these same people reverse course. Like if a store clerk insulted a Trump supporter, then it's no longer acceptable in that case, and that clerk should apologize, HOW dare they.

Double standards all the time!"

Santa fat shames 9 year old boy

I thought it a good answer, and seemingly at odds with your current thinking.

In the following thread, which you started, you were disapproving of a British journalist that refused to let her child be cared for in a facility with an overweight caretaker:

Mom refuses to let her child be taught by a 'fat teacher'

Yes, double standards all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies