Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,288,966 times

Advertisements

When these continued horrific acts of mass violence happen, the gun control debate rages on. I admittedly lean to the side of anti-gun. I believe more controls are necessary (totally undefined by me). I also believe that it's a right to bear arms. Yes I am one who goes about about his daily life, but have a heightened awareness and fear about me.

As the debate continues with guns, I believe this entire country is so off-base with it's approach. The focus is on guns, their use, which are allowed, how to get them, etc etc. Bicker and argue, that's what occurs. But to me, the gun is nothing but a tool to carry out the destruction. What about a bomb (i.e. Boston Marathon)? What about a van/vehicle (i.e. Barcelona)? Tools.

It all starts with the mind. The spark. The idea. There are individuals who simply cannot logically and rationally control their thoughts. Those people need intervention, whether it be through medicine or therapy. Yet Trump (and government in general) cut back funding to the study of mental health/illness. The potential to stop many horrific acts reside in the minds of those ready to carry out such acts. I've read too many stories where the warning signs have actually been told to others by family/friends, including to the police and other authority's, only to have it fall on deaf ears somewhere along the line. These perpetrators don't get friction and are able to get to their end point.

Not all people can or will be stopped. But to continue to place mental health/illness down the ladder of importance is a flaw to my eyes. Our focus and funding should be there. The general public and authorities should be better educated on the warning signs, and maybe just maybe we could start plugging up the cracks that allow these people through to ultimately wreak their havoc.

That's just my .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
When these continued horrific acts of mass violence happen, the gun control debate rages on. I admittedly lean to the side of anti-gun. I believe more controls are necessary (totally undefined by me). I also believe that it's a right to bear arms. Yes I am one who goes about about his daily life, but have a heightened awareness and fear about me.

As the debate continues with guns, I believe this entire country is so off-base with it's approach. The focus is on guns, their use, which are allowed, how to get them, etc etc. Bicker and argue, that's what occurs. But to me, the gun is nothing but a tool to carry out the destruction. What about a bomb (i.e. Boston Marathon)? What about a van/vehicle (i.e. Barcelona)? Tools.

It all starts with the mind. The spark. The idea. There are individuals who simply cannot logically and rationally control their thoughts. Those people need intervention, whether it be through medicine or therapy. Yet Trump (and government in general) cut back funding to the study of mental health/illness. The potential to stop many horrific acts reside in the minds of those ready to carry out such acts. I've read too many stories where the warning signs have actually been told to others by family/friends, including to the police and other authority's, only to have it fall on deaf ears somewhere along the line. These perpetrators don't get friction and are able to get to their end point.

Not all people can or will be stopped. But to continue to place mental health/illness down the ladder of importance is a flaw to my eyes. Our focus and funding should be there. The general public and authorities should be better educated on the warning signs, and maybe just maybe we could start plugging up the cracks that allow these people through to ultimately wreak their havoc.

That's just my .02.
If a person is too dangerous to be left alone, around deadly items. They are too dangerous to be free to roam in society.

If walk freely in society, you will be able to protect yourself, or be prey.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
It's much easier to blame the tool than the person who uses it. It takes too much time to figure out why someone has such evil intentions. Okay...gotta go now. There's got to be something on TV to watch.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:33 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
OP, I agree with you. Unfortunately, since about the 1980s, we've taken away most of the legislation people need in order to "commit" people who exhibit warning signs. People/families are helpless to intervene with mentally ill family members.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 623,188 times
Agree with OP. The problem of mental illness becomes that much worse with guns available practically on every street corner in the US. We need to help the mentally ill and change our gun culture some.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Agree with OP. The problem of mental illness becomes that much worse with guns available practically on every street corner in the US. We need to help the mentally ill and change our gun culture some.
Add to that the ability to fire quickly and repeatably up to 30 rounds seems to be a huge problem. You can kill and wound a lot of people so quickly with automatic weapons. Having to reload after every shot would allow for some kind of response.

There are no easy solutions. If there were, wouldn't we have them by now?

Last edited by Willamette City; 05-23-2018 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: added word

Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Well, we can't have mental healthcare, because that would be Communism. And we can't have gun control, because muh guns!

'Murica, what're you gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

That's just my .02.
So how do we keep guns out of the hands of those that are mentally ill?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:14 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
OP, I agree with you. Unfortunately, since about the 1980s, we've taken away most of the legislation people need in order to "commit" people who exhibit warning signs. People/families are helpless to intervene with mentally ill family members.

And this is why I feel that those that are diagnosed and have to be medicated to sustain a normal way of life need to be closely watched. It should be flagged, so that if one tries to purchase a firearm it shows up in the NICS system. They also need to be tested on a monthly basis , to ensure they are taking the medicines required for them to remain normal. The moment they fail a test , they get committed.

As to what illnesses should be flagged, I guess that is a TBD since there are so many , and what might be violent in one person might not be in another.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So how do we keep guns out of the hands of those that are mentally ill?
Maybe there is not a totally effective way to do this, at the same time, ensuring the people retain the rights under the 2nd?

That old saying of 'Freedom is not free' comes to mind, maybe these are the kinds of things that must happen in order for us to live in a nation free of tyranny?

Safety/ security was never guaranteed in America, but freedom and liberty were, that is important to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies