Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:39 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,520,115 times

Advertisements

The most common trait among the shooters is they are white males and they were bullied. Take it for what its worth.

A portion had mental illness. A portion came from broken homes.

I don't think anyone has the answer yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,180,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The most common trait among the shooters is they are white males and they were bullied. Take it for what its worth.

A portion had mental illness. A portion came from broken homes.

I don't think anyone has the answer yet.
But let's throw the other side of the coin into that. How many, what percentage of those who live like that do not turn into shooters? What is the confounding variable.

Okay, granted I am not male, but I am white and I was relentlessly picked on till about 28. Why haven't I snapped?

There have to be other factors.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,116,933 times
Medication for ADD/ADHD and sometimes depression. These are brain altering drugs and children (boys especially) often begin them at age 5 or 6. ADD wasn't a "condition" 50 years ago.

Not all children on these medications will become violent of course. However, a majority of those perpetrating these crimes have taken these medications.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...nds-link%3famp

Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But let's throw the other side of the coin into that. How many, what percentage of those who live like that do not turn into shooters? What is the confounding variable.

Okay, granted I am not male, but I am white and I was relentlessly picked on till about 28. Why haven't I snapped?

There have to be other factors.
I am sure there are other factors. But what?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,347,432 times
Why does the OP completely ignore the more aggressive gun culture? In 1950, people weren't taking assault rifles with them when they went to a restaurant for some lunch while wearing apparel with slogans like "from my cold dead hands" or "come and take it" while spouting hateful rhetoric about liberals trying to take guns from 'Muricans.

Why does the OP ignore the culture of violence that exists in the US? Just this week we had right wingers all over America cheering the shooting of children by Israeli soldiers.

Maybe the kids are paying attention to Fox News. They tell their viewers 24/7 that the world is going to chit and we are all doomed.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:09 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,180,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am sure there are other factors. But what?
One's moral compass? It's been compared that I have a moral code like Batman or perhaps that the moral code I hold myself to I do not compel others to do the same.

In one aspect of that, I am very romantic, seeing things from a higher plane....I guess.

I don't know, maybe it is just that I am willing to see things from many points of view.

Once again, maybe that's our TV and entertainment at work against us. Remember the ST:TOS "Time's Arrow, Pt 1"? Picard asks Data why the android head they have in possession is not Lore's. Data provides the engineering details that it is not Lore's head but Data's. What the next question, in that kind of world, should have been, "Alright, Mr. Data, present me with arguments that eliminate any other possibilities such as there being a 3rd one of you.". That question is not asked, however, and they proceed with the story.

Works in their world, in that story, but does it teach us to have a limited vision when we approach problems? TV should not be our teacher but our entertainer but do we learn how to think, how to interact from it?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,347,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
In a nutshell, Social Engineering is to blame. The misguided efforts of leftists to emasculate males and marginalize fatherhood are at the heart of this problem.

Males want to be powerful, it's ingrained in our DNA. A good father figure teaches a boy how to manage the urge for power along with wielding power in a positive way, both directly and by example. Men require discipline and ESPECIALLY to be taught how to discipline themselves.

After all, a boy who doesn't get taught how to be a man is not likely to behave like a man.

But the leftists say screw all that and do all they can to wipe out the "evil patriarchy", turn boys into girls and girls into boys, turn all media portrayals of fathers into hopeless "Homer Simpson" style screw-ups, discourage parenting altogether, ect, ect ...

... so kids grow up gender confused, emotionally disjointed, mentally weak and prone to acting out. Most just become pathetic "snowflakes" but a few try to take back power in a more violent fashion.

Easy access to weapons certainly plays some part in making it easier to commit atrocities but it's ABSOLUTELY NOT THE ACTUAL CAUSE OF THESE TRAGEDIES. Guns are merely the convenient tools available to the killers who already have major problems created by their upbringings.

Trying to solve the problem by restricting weapons is like trying to cure a lawn's dandelion problem by constantly picking off all the yellow flowers. The sickness of society and the madness of the Leftist world-view will still maintain our societal high-volume production line for fundamentally defective man-children no matter how tight the restrictions are.
Someone always has to whip out this Grade A nonsense.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,179,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
In a nutshell, Social Engineering is to blame. The misguided efforts of leftists to emasculate males and marginalize fatherhood are at the heart of this problem.

Males want to be powerful, it's ingrained in our DNA. A good father figure teaches a boy how to manage the urge for power along with wielding power in a positive way, both directly and by example. Men require discipline and ESPECIALLY to be taught how to discipline themselves.

After all, a boy who doesn't get taught how to be a man is not likely to behave like a man.

But the leftists say screw all that and do all they can to wipe out the "evil patriarchy", turn boys into girls and girls into boys, turn all media portrayals of fathers into hopeless "Homer Simpson" style screw-ups, discourage parenting altogether, ect, ect ...

... so kids grow up gender confused, emotionally disjointed, mentally weak and prone to acting out. Most just become pathetic "snowflakes" but a few try to take back power in a more violent fashion.

Easy access to weapons certainly plays some part in making it easier to commit atrocities but it's ABSOLUTELY NOT THE ACTUAL CAUSE OF THESE TRAGEDIES. Guns are merely the convenient tools available to the killers who already have major problems created by their upbringings.

Trying to solve the problem by restricting weapons is like trying to cure a lawn's dandelion problem by constantly picking off all the yellow flowers. The sickness of society and the madness of the Leftist world-view will still maintain our societal high-volume production line for fundamentally defective man-children no matter how tight the restrictions are.
The problem is mental illness. Teaching boys welding and letting them smack their hos into submission won't cure the mental illness that exists within people.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:14 PM

20,915 posts, read 8,723,396 times
Social media didn't exist

Old 05-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One's moral compass? It's been compared that I have a moral code like Batman or perhaps that the moral code I hold myself to I do not compel others to do the same.

In one aspect of that, I am very romantic, seeing things from a higher plane....I guess.

I don't know, maybe it is just that I am willing to see things from many points of view.

Once again, maybe that's our TV and entertainment at work against us. Remember the ST:TOS "Time's Arrow, Pt 1"? Picard asks Data why the android head they have in possession is not Lore's. Data provides the engineering details that it is not Lore's head but Data's. What the next question, in that kind of world, should have been, "Alright, Mr. Data, present me with arguments that eliminate any other possibilities such as there being a 3rd one of you.". That question is not asked, however, and they proceed with the story.

Works in their world, in that story, but does it teach us to have a limited vision when we approach problems? TV should not be our teacher but our entertainer but do we learn how to think, how to interact from it?
Well I have not seen studies of what TV shows the shooters watch. There have been studies on violent movies and video games but no coorelations were found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies