Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

People are on edge with the ever increasing pressure from daily life in America.
If you are a kid in school that doesn't fit in because you lack personality traits to be popular, your parents can't afford the latest clothes, cell phones and cars you might withdraw into an angry world where it is difficult to see the future.

I think kids live for the moment now more than ever and they are able to immerse themselves into fantasy worlds of video games, horror movies and dark stuff on the internet.

It used to be that we were all in this together but now people are separating themselves from society and instead of taking out their frustrations on themselves they decide to bring a gun to a public place to make the people that he feels are better than him and who he blames for his lowly predicament pay and pay dearly.

A Gun is a preferred tool used to enact revenge but this kid also had bombs.

Guns are not the problem but mental health is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As far as I can tell, most of these shooters have had both intact fathers and mothers. You seem to be confusing the inner-city crime phenomenon with the angry teenager phenomenon.
Many of them were products of broken homes, off-hand, Chris Harper-Mercer, Elliot Rodgers, Adam Lanza and Nikolas Cruz.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
People are on edge with the ever increasing pressure from daily life in America.
If you are a kid in school that doesn't fit in because you lack personality traits to be popular, your parents can't afford the latest clothes, cell phones and cars you might withdraw into an angry world where it is difficult to see the future.

I think kids live for the moment now more than ever and they are able to immerse themselves into fantasy worlds of video games, horror movies and dark stuff on the internet.

It used to be that we were all in this together but now people are separating themselves from society and instead of taking out their frustrations on themselves they decide to bring a gun to a public place to make the people that he feels are better than him and who he blames for his lowly predicament pay and pay dearly.

A Gun is a preferred tool used to enact revenge but this kid also had bombs.

Guns are not the problem but mental health is.
BS.

I'm so sick of this argument. Guns ARE the problem.

Every country has exactly the same mental health issues the United States have.

But they don't all have such easy access to guns.

GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM.
And attitudes towards guns are the problem.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
media provides lessons learned for the next shooter

shooter gets a lot of attention

copycat shootings via unrestrained media coverage

violent video games provide practice for those who would become shooters

remember Obama told us a video caused the attack on Benghazi, it must be true videos caused violence, Obama the guy with integrity sais so

violent video games proliferated

before crazies hid in a closet and thought they were the only ones who felt the way they did... now there are forums for all sort of deviant behavior.

restricting schools kids form acting up, has pushed tem to a point where they explode. Used to have fist fights, no one ever got sued for punching out anyone else and no one committed suicide.

every school has a kid everyone else recognizes as very strange. don't need a psychiatrist. Schools can't tell who is harmless and who is dangerous deviant. schools keep using the wrong criteria to judge future behavior and treat some boy being a boy as a future sociopath.

need to talk to the kids who did shooting and dissect their minds to get a better handle on what sets them off...or if there even common factors. other than they voted republican and wore a maga hat.

at 18 your could go into any store and buy a gun. weapons on banned lists were readily available, not a problem.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
These school shootings didn't used to happen fifty years ago (did it?). At least, FAR less than they do now. And I doubt it's simply because they are being "reported less".

Bullying took place in the 1960s as much as it does today.

What was going on in the 60s that is different (happening either more or less) than today?

I don't have a definitive answer that will answer all concerns. But one thing that's different (that affects schoolkids) is that in the 1960s, very few kids came home to an empty house. There was always a parent (usually a Mom) ready to give them a hug, ask them how their day was, give them a snack or whatever, etc. Almost always someone there to let them know the student was important to the parent, they cared about him etc.

Today, more and more families find that both parents must work and earn an income, to make ends meet. "Women's lib" has told women that they don't have to be "just a housewife" (even though that's a major job in is own right), but that it's right and proper that they should be an engineer, doctor, shoe clerk, assembly line worker or whatever. That is pretty much true, but is it a good idea to take both parents out of the house most of the day? If the Mom is working outside the house, should there then be a Dad at home? Or an aunt, uncle or etc.?

Plus, many more women are having babies with no father present, and raising them on their own without Daddy around. Some are because Daddy was a slime who ran off as soon as he found out about the pregnancy. In other cases, sometimes the women planned it that way, wanting her own child without the "inconvenience" of having to deal with a husband. There are also a few single fathers around with kids, but far fewer than single mothers. These single (for whatever reason) parents have to support themselves, obviously, and their child will likely come home to that empty house for a lot of their young lives.

I'm curious what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents absent when the kid comes home... both now, and over the years for the last 50 or so. Or to make it simpler, what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents working full-time outside the home?

As I said, that's likely not "the only cause" for the apparent increase in school shootings. But it could be a major contributor.

What other causes might there be?
Another possible contributor to the rising tide of school shootings, may be the increased use of drugs to "help" kids with perceived mental problems. Maybe kids do OK on these prescriptions. But what happens when an already-angry kid goes off his meds, for whatever reason?

I'd be curious to know how many of these school shooters were on medications for mental or emotional "problems". And how many of them went off their meds for a day or week or month before doing the shooting. Though records on going off their meds are probably sparse or nonexistent.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
i'm confused.

So going to a shooting range with a kid and letting him practice with a real gun is less dangerous then letting a kid play Call of Duty?

That is some !@#'d justification, excuse, rationalization, bull!@#$.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:26 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
i'm confused.

So going to a shooting range with a kid and letting him practice with a real gun is less dangerous then letting a kid play Call of Duty?

That is some !@#'d justification, excuse, rationalization, bull!@#$.
I notice that you supply no facts of evidence to support your opinion here, nothing but namecalling.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
https://journalistsresource.org/stud...icide-research

My son and I were just talking about this - it's not about guns - it's about media's lack of responsibility. They stopped reporting on all the suicides as it was found that suicides then increased the more that were reported. We are promoting this type of situation every time it's on every news station and repeated for days on end.

And I agree with the poster about medications - every kid is labeled these days and medicated. This started to happen back when my 33 yr old was in the 1st grade - have a boy that doesn't pay attention and acts out - he has ADHD - medicate him. Half the time these kids are wrongly diagnosed - meanwhile the drugs have done a number on their brains.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I notice that you supply no facts of evidence to support your opinion here, nothing but namecalling.
What facts do people have to prove that playing shooting video games makes it easier for you to handle a real gun.

I have three boys. All have played video games. One of those kids was taken to a shooting range once by a friend. He said it was absolutely positive nothing like playing a video game. He said it was completely different.

Those games the controllers (except in arcades and they aren't very realistic) aren't gun shape -- they are press a and b while holding x and toggling C. (yeah I don't know the exact thing).

But it is messed up to suggest someone would be a 'good shooter' because they played video games.

If you are going to cite video games as a 'training' gorund -- then the shooting range has to be one too.

It just has to be. One is specifically for training with a gun

Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Why does the OP completely ignore the more aggressive gun culture? In 1950, people weren't taking assault rifles with them when they went to a restaurant for some lunch while wearing apparel with slogans like "from my cold dead hands" or "come and take it" while spouting hateful rhetoric about liberals trying to take guns from 'Muricans.

Why does the OP ignore the culture of violence that exists in the US? Just this week we had right wingers all over America cheering the shooting of children by Israeli soldiers.

Maybe the kids are paying attention to Fox News. They tell their viewers 24/7 that the world is going to chit and we are all doomed.
That sure explains all the liberals that own firearms huh. Does one need to be a card carrying conservative to purchase a firearm? Learn something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies