Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 06:41 AM

8,398 posts, read 4,395,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I got my arse got popped when I was a child and so did many of my generation, yet we didn’t go around killing each other. Explain that.

Oh and there is a BIG difference between a spanking and a beating I know from experience.
That may be part of the problem. Parents don't even know the difference between corporal punishment and abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 AM

Dupe

Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,410,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
That may be part of the problem. Parents don't even know the difference between corporal punishment and abuse.
I don't believe the deliberate infliction of physical pain is necessary for effective discipline. Actually, I KNOW it's not necessary for effective discipline.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My siblings and I were never spanked, and my husband and I have never raised a hand to our children either. We're all functional members of society. Explain that.
Be happy too.

Were you not punished in other ways when you did something wrong? A spanking was something we got when I did something really stupid or dangerous. My whole point is that kids today don’t get spanked or are not getting disciplined son they don’t understand there is a price to be paid when they do something wrong.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,850,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That’s because responsible adults beat the stupid out of them.

Nowadays, parents are apathetic and blame their mistakes on some external factor.
Most of the teen/ young adult male shooters display symptoms of being on the emerging Schizophrenia Spectrum, a biological condition. You can’t beat serious mental illness out of someone. You can’t educate serious mental illness out of someone. You can’t pray serious mental illness out of someone.

Never before in history have seriously mentally people had easy access to hateful ideologies, violent video games, influencers and others just like them as they do today. And in the US, there is easier access to guns than most of the developed world.

The size of the population has more than doubled since the 50’s. More people- more seriously mentally ill people.

It is believed that 60+% of the homeless population are on the Schizophrenic Spectrum. Their families were not able to control them. Many seriously mentally ill people decline to be medicated. No one can be forced to take medications. Very difficult to have a teen / young adult declared mentally inferior, emerging mental illness vs cognitive and emotional immaturity.

We don’t know beans about the most recent shooter beyond that he has no history of Police contract. His journals indicate he was seriously suicidal. The trench coat thing ( in 90 gegree humid temps ), pulling the fire alarm and pipe bombs seem to demonstrate elements of copy cat.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:59 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
Quote:
Time to ask the same old well-worn question: Why are there more mass shootings now than, say, fifty years ago?
Copycat perpetrators.

Today, there are more of all kinds of crimes and killings. We see and read about crimes in the news and also in fictional tv shows and movies.

Copycat scammers, copycat serial killers, copycat terrorists, copycat pipe bomb makers, copycat rapists using rufies... you name it, and somewhere out there other people are thinking about doing it in order to avenge a wrong or just be plain mean and evil.

And fifty years ago, the global human population was half of what it is now. Being so overpopulated and global, causes extra stress on the human population. And that results in the breakdown of civilization.

Personally, I am uncomfortable having tv shows like Criminal Minds showing such a dark side of human nature and giving new ideas to sociopaths.

And personally, I don't think that the US becoming so diverse is a good way to go. The more diversity, the less common bonds we have as a relatively young country. And we will fall apart as all the different cultures pull back to stand with their own kind any time that times are tough. And because of that, America's real strength is having it be an English speaking and we need to stop letting in uneducated non-English speaking people. And at this point, in the 21st century, we need to vet carefully anyone coming in from a Second or Third World country where their religious beliefs are so extreme that the image of Mohammed can't be drawn, or their women are so oppressed that they need to be covered up and... their men see us uncovered women as wh*res. If those people can't immediately accept our more progressive ways, then they have to stay in their own country.

They also need to not have any more than two children. So they need to be put on birth control, like the patch.

Also, anyone entering our country who wants to stay forever, needs to check in with authorities every 6 months and prove that they are making real progress in learning to speak and read English. If not, then they have to leave our country.

Part of immigrating to America HAS to also mean adopting the ways of our society. BTW welfare queens have to have all government benefits cut off once they get pregnant for the third time.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,089,092 times
OP...combo of stress, bad food and being bombarded with radio and microwave radiation. The gov and the rich are squeezing people to death. And lets not forget how the traditional family has been replaced by 2 hairy men as husband and wife and the 2 momy household. As the the traditional world gets dismantled it is replaced with a nightmarish world. I'm just surprised there are not mass shootings once or twice a day.

mods don't ban me again...this is my photo

Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,346,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
What’s your solution? Ban women from the workplace? Force church attendance? Ban divorce?

I really can’t wait until we finally move past our obsession in this country with how great the 1950s were.
Metal detectors in all schools.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,715,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Copycat perpetrators.

And personally, I don't think that the US becoming so diverse is a good way to go. The more diversity, the less common bonds we have as a relatively young country. And we will fall apart as all the different cultures pull back to stand with their own kind any time that times are tough. And because of that, America's real strength is having it be an English speaking and we need to stop letting in uneducated non-English speaking people. And at this point, in the 21st century, we need to vet carefully anyone coming in from a Second or Third World country where their religious beliefs are so extreme that the image of Mohammed can't be drawn, or their women are so oppressed that they need to be covered up and... their men see us uncovered women as wh*res. If those people can't immediately accept our more progressive ways, then they have to stay in their own country.

They also need to not have any more than two children. So they need to be put on birth control, like the patch.

Also, anyone entering our country who wants to stay forever, needs to check in with authorities every 6 months and prove that they are making real progress in learning to speak and read English. If not, then they have to leave our country.

Part of immigrating to America HAS to also mean adopting the ways of our society. BTW welfare queens have to have all government benefits cut off once they get pregnant for the third time.
Do you want to deport the Amish? They cover the women pretty well - and are definitely fundamentalists. How about Mormons who claim a guy found gold tablets in a NY state field that only he could see - which he translated to mean he could have the pick of the litter of young women? Does that have a lot in common with "my tribe"??

Statistics are a b-itch, such as the fact that when TN was "99% white" many years ago, they had murder rates as high as 250 per 100,000 - 50X what they are today! 50 times....imagine that!

I have more in common with a Central American family-loving hard worker than I do with some Bible Thumper with a gun collection and jug of moonshine.

I have some news for you. We have immigration laws - quite strict. The numbers allowed in are very small.

How do you force people to accept progressive ways? Heck, most Trump voters won't accept progressive ways! Why not deport Americans who are against our government??

Slippery Slopes - and last time I looked, these shootings are mostly being done by white people.

The very same week the POTUS had a speaker at the opening of an Embassy in Jerulsalem who claimed Jews cannot enter heaven...you ask for no fundies to be allowed here? Fantastic. My thinking is that you approve of a certain type of fundie...but maybe not others?

Old 05-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't believe the deliberate infliction of physical pain is necessary for effective discipline. Actually, I KNOW it's not necessary for effective discipline.
So rather than physical, you would rather induce psychological pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies