Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its already been done. All my Amazon packages are delivered by Amazon. I can't remember the last time something came USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

https://logistics.amazon.com

cool i guess your home reflects the nation... so that must mean Amazon has fake fedex , uss and usps vans too, because we are getting everyone all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
...despite the fact that delivering for Amazon and other mail order businesses helps keep the USPS afloat.

More of Trump’s “us and them” mentality to try to get back at Jeff Bezos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.ca0c1b7b4fbb

The nuts of it, is a party with no vested interest cannot meddle in a contract between other parties....

I don't see how Trump has a real and genuine vested interest in this other than a vendetta, and vendetta won't fly with any judge....

The Post master general has explained to Trump why he is wrong, and that means that legally Trump does not even have the defense of claiming ignorance. It would not be much of a denfence, but he has lost that too.

I doubt he could be sued but he could be impeached for abuse of power should he persists in this vendetta against a private corp.

In this case a suit would be around interfering in a business transaction. It could also be used as part of a larger picture where a POTUS is threatening private entities which is clearly beyond his brief and his legal powers.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is it, isn't it?

Jeff Bezos has more money than God, and certainly than DT. More so he can prove it any day of the week with perfectly legit tax returns.

Then again there are scores of "tech" billionaires here in NYC and elsewhere that could by and sell DT six times over, and still get change back.

It must gall DT that young dudes like Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and others are worth billions, and still racking it in, meanwhile he has to scramble around with loans from DB and other sketchy deals to make his so called "business" work.

Jeff is spending his amazon "winnings" at a rate of 1 Billion a year to make humanity living and working in space a reality.

Trump is spending his money on hookers and 1/8th balls.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
...despite the fact that delivering for Amazon and other mail order businesses helps keep the USPS afloat.

More of Trump’s “us and them” mentality to try to get back at Jeff Bezos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.ca0c1b7b4fbb
Well Trump tried to ding Amazon, but thus far unsuccessfully. The liberal Seattle city council here has actually DONE it. They passed a 'head tax' on Seattle companies with over $20 million of revenue, the biggest of which here is Amazon.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 PM

700 posts, read 638,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It doesn't help USPS stay afloat. USPS actually operates at a loss delivering for Amazon.

As reported several years ago in the Wall Street Journal, a Citigroup analysis found each parcel gets a $1.46 subsidy.
That was a suggested increase for charging on package delivery for all USPS clients (Not just Amazon) by a citigroup analysis on how the Postal Service could increase revenue. This did not indicate losses. The Wall Street Journal wording was criminally misleading.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its already been done. All my Amazon packages are delivered by Amazon. I can't remember the last time something came USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

https://logistics.amazon.com
In non huge urban centers UPS, USPS and Fed Ex deliver the Amazon goods.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Rachel Maddow made a good point. An article of impeachments was levied against Nixon for just this reason. Abuse of power. In Nixon's case it was using his office to hurt his enemy the Washington Post. Of course, back then, the GOP had some stones.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
And whatever the post office charges Amazon -- they have to charge all the other retailers. So it just raises rates for everyone.

It's ridiculous. And if it is raised enough Amazon will go to UPS completely.

Amazon is raising its rates and we had an informal survey if a group of aobut 50 people would continue. Everyone said thatit is still a HUGE deal and they would gladly pay an extra 10 a month in order to keep the service.

This won't cost Amazon a thing. Bezos will still make more money than Trump could think of....and he still will own a share in The Washington Post.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I don't automatically believe this since it comes from the WaPo, who has a very poor record of accuracy since Trump won. That said, I don't support this move if true. I support ending the taxpayer subsidies for Amazon that give this mega-corporation an unfair advantage over mom & pop businesses. I know Democrats love big corporations and billionaire political influencers, buy I think even they will agree it's not fair for the taxpayers to subsidize one of the most profitable corporations in the country at the expense of small business owners.
what federal subsidies are you talking about?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I notice you didn't take me up on my offer to limit the POTUS now, deflector. I would just love to put the old filibuster rules back from before Obama's POTUS power was intensified which is now in the hands of your political enemies. Real smart.

This is why I utterly loath liberals , even more than draconian, war mongering, neocon, superstitious, sub moronic conservatives who think they know math. Yes, I loath lefties even more than them. Its astounding the the modern leftist cannot even compete with a pool of bloody mucus from a hypocritical dyspeptic ulcer. This is because the modern leftist is a rotting and festering corpse. At least a conservative know math exists, even if they fail to compute.
Jesus! Well, ain't you just a shiny, sparkly beam of sunshine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies