Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Cole is more humble imo. He was dissed by some mumble rapper called “lil pump”. Basically a garbage rapper.
Coles fans started chanting “f* lil pump” at one of his concerts and Cole just says “no, we dont do that”.

https://youtu.be/qBgM7iGruNU

Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have often wondered if use of the N word started out somehow for people to make themselves feel superior to other people. Like the way poor white people will refer to other poor white people as trailer trash or white trash and they don't see themselves that way even though they live in the same trailer park.

I don't really thinks that is how the N word is used to day, but did it start out that way among black people?

I am unfamiliar with the adoption history, just the common usage and the usage by white people throughout the years.

I do think the only way to stop people from using it is just to quit using it, though.
It was originally used to keep black people in an inferior place - to call them a beast and below human. They were called "n**gers" instead of humans or people - it was a tool of dehumanization.

Over the centuries, black people were called it so much, that they just took on the idea that that is w hat they were and that is the reason why it is continued, because black people today, too often refuse to let go of a slur that was meant to dehumanize and demean and disrespect our ancestors.

I noted above that IMO most whites do not know the history of this. Same IMO as I think most younger black people don't either and that is why they make up stupid excuses to try to keep using it.

When I was a kid, my elders taught me that only low class black people used it. They taught me that only low class black people who used it and who acted in a certain, low class way were "n**gers." I remember trying to argue back with them when gangster rap in particular got very popular and I was very into it and repeating the songs. I was also ignorant about it and only due to growing and understanding the history did I stop using it in my 20s.

FWIW it's use is hugely debated in black America and always has been. It seems to me more and more black people are getting to the idea that we should stop using it. Those who argue against it usually try to use hip hop as an excuse but their reasons are ridiculous and if they actually thought about those reasons, I think they'd see the same conclusion I did. That the word was and is a way to demean our ancestors and disrespect ourselves. Asian Americans don't call themselves "chinks." Italian Americans don't call themselves "spicks." Black Americans are the only group who consistently demeans their own people by using slurs that oppressors made up against them/us. I always educate the people I know who continue to use it to stop based on the above. Continuing to use it personally (in regards to that individual) is a black person participating in and perpetuating the system of white supremacy racism - a system that made up the term and named us "n**gers."

Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have often wondered if use of the N word started out somehow for people to make themselves feel superior to other people. Like the way poor white people will refer to other poor white people as trailer trash or white trash and they don't see themselves that way even though they live in the same trailer park.

I don't really thinks that is how the N word is used to day, but did it start out that way among black people?

I am unfamiliar with the adoption history, just the common usage and the usage by white people throughout the years.

I do think the only way to stop people from using it is just to quit using it, though.
THey just took an insult and flipped it.
Like I took your best weapon against me. And im never giving it back.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
It is actually a bit of a repeat of the late 50s. When I was a teenager what came to be known as rock and roll came from Black artists and was casually referred to as N***** Music.

Some might also look at the dialog in "Purlie Victorious" The term used their was "Nigra". I actually played Ole Captain Cotchipee. Anyone who blew the pronunciation of the word had to throw a quarter into the Sweet Potato Pie Fund.

The fund picked up around 5 bucks over rehearsals and three performances.

We were going to do it as a standing in the round piece in the local high schools. Unfortunately the guy who played Gitlow was a local high school football coach who could not stand the heat in the kitchen so we gave it up.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It was originally used to keep black people in an inferior place - to call them a beast and below human. They were called "n**gers" instead of humans or people - it was a tool of dehumanization.

Over the centuries, black people were called it so much, that they just took on the idea that that is w hat they were and that is the reason why it is continued, because black people today, too often refuse to let go of a slur that was meant to dehumanize and demean and disrespect our ancestors.

I noted above that IMO most whites do not know the history of this. Same IMO as I think most younger black people don't either and that is why they make up stupid excuses to try to keep using it.

When I was a kid, my elders taught me that only low class black people used it. They taught me that only low class black people who used it and who acted in a certain, low class way were "n**gers." I remember trying to argue back with them when gangster rap in particular got very popular and I was very into it and repeating the songs. I was also ignorant about it and only due to growing and understanding the history did I stop using it in my 20s.

FWIW it's use is hugely debated in black America and always has been. It seems to me more and more black people are getting to the idea that we should stop using it. Those who argue against it usually try to use hip hop as an excuse but their reasons are ridiculous and if they actually thought about those reasons, I think they'd see the same conclusion I did. That the word was and is a way to demean our ancestors and disrespect ourselves. Asian Americans don't call themselves "chinks." Italian Americans don't call themselves "spicks." Black Americans are the only group who consistently demeans their own people by using slurs that oppressors made up against them/us. I always educate the people I know who continue to use it to stop based on the above. Continuing to use it personally (in regards to that individual) is a black person participating in and perpetuating the system of white supremacy racism - a system that made up the term and named us "n**gers."

Excellent explanation to a sincere quest for understanding. I wish more interaction on this forum could be like this.

Someone once told me that everything that everyone does is for a selfish reason. I was told this in my teens, but did not really grasp its truth until I was in my 20's. If I value history, my ancestors and our collective struggles... then paying homage and respect to it is me being selfish, because it makes me feel good to do so and I feel I am doing the right thing. The value system of the millennial, in particular, don't value collective and historical causes like people of my generation did (maybe because we were closer connected being one generation from the cotton fields). The selfishness of youth today manifest in terms of what they value, what makes them happy, etc, which centers more around individualism than collectivism. If an act benefits them as individuals, that will supersede any concern about what it does for the collective or tradition.They rationalize using the N word because they like using it and are not willing to give up using it for the collective or out of respect for the history. Certainly such behavior and reasoning is not exclusive to youth, but it is endemic to youth. With youth it not about the "black movement" as it was with my generation. Rather, its about the "black moment" as defined narrowly as what can they as individuals get out of it. They will sell out the "black movement" (which is centuries old) for a black moment that benefits them.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is actually a bit of a repeat of the late 50s. When I was a teenager what came to be known as rock and roll came from Black artists and was casually referred to as N***** Music.

Some might also look at the dialog in "Purlie Victorious" The term used their was "Nigra". I actually played Ole Captain Cotchipee. Anyone who blew the pronunciation of the word had to throw a quarter into the Sweet Potato Pie Fund.

The fund picked up around 5 bucks over rehearsals and three performances.

We were going to do it as a standing in the round piece in the local high schools. Unfortunately the guy who played Gitlow was a local high school football coach who could not stand the heat in the kitchen so we gave it up.
And then rock music branched off in many different directions, and eventually became the music of white kids everywhere.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
oh seriously this is what you are concerned about this morning-- lololol.

It was all in good fun.

You think if he was serious he would have kept the girl up there and let her continue.

LOL -- TRIGGERED.
C’mon......’it was all in good fun,’ ‘LOL.’ It was obviously a big deal to Kendrick Lamar and the crowd that booed.

It makes no sense at all that some black people continue to use the N-word in songs and in everyday language, and then get mad when a non-black person uses the word. If it’s a terrible word, which I think it is, then let the word die.

By constantly using it as common language, the word doesn’t seem as bad and everyone (blacks and others) get comforable using the word. As a white person, I don't use the word, but the word will be in many people’s minds given how prevalent it is.

Black people are the only group I can think of who will use a negative word to refer to themselves, and then get mad when others use it. The excuse that it’s somehow symbolic when blcaks use it among themselves is a poor excuse. It makes no sense at all. If it’s such a bad word, then why should blacks use it????? Don’t they understand that, that is what keeps the wird alive?

Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

When I was a kid, my elders taught me that only low class black people used it. They taught me that only low class black people who used it and who

acted in a certain, low class way were "n**gers." I remember trying to argue back with them when gangster rap in particular got very popular and I was very into it and repeating the songs. I was also ignorant about it and only due to growing and understanding the history did I stop using it in my 20s.

Spick is the derogatory term for Hispanics.
Wop is the derogatory term for Italians.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:46 PM

10,763 posts, read 4,346,172 times
I can't believe black people still think its "cool" to say the N word....
Its such a cheesy/corny word, its like that dumb gangnam style dance, it had its moment but is now cringe-worthy.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
I can't believe black people still think its "cool" to say the N word....
Its such a cheesy/corny word, its like that dumb gangnam style dance, it had its moment but is now cringe-worthy.

Do you think they are using it because its "cool" or just because they have heard it used in the family and community growing up? I think non black people use the word because they thinks its "cool" and hip to use it. I have to admit that when I am in certain neighborhoods and hear the word being used I don't really even notice it because it rolls so effortlessly and seems to "fit" as the appropriate term in that context. Hearing someone other than a black person saying it makes it stand out like it was being shouted from a bull horn, even if whispered. That said, I have some cousins that use the term excessively. I remember listening to them, they are females, using the term talking about my father, their uncle. That did not go over well with me at all. I could not figure out who they were talking about at first...and was shocked when I figured out they were talking about my father (their Unc). I grew up where you referenced your elders with titles (and so did they as one of them is older than me).....not reference them with the N word. They were about to get the white folks treatment for using that word. They did not mean anything bad buy it or mean any disrespect.....they are just ghetto as their mom talked like that.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-22-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies