Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How bad will oil further hurt Michigan's economy?
What problem with oil, its where it should be, we are awash in oil. 2 9.09%
Not much people will keep and drive the big SUV 3 13.64%
I will hurt Michigan's economy no more than the job's and people flooding out. 5 22.73%
High oil will push this state that is on the edge in to the pit. We are done put a fork in us. 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 12,930 times

Advertisements

Gas is predicted by oil experts to hit 5$ a gallon by summers end. How bad is it going to hurt the already ailing Michigan economy?
GM brought out its hybr. big SUV and they are less then flying off the shelf.
Glenn Beck brought out his dealer in FL yesterday and asked if they were selling, the reply was not really. Beck was a bit stunned.
He is sponsored by GM so no big surprise that he trashed the Toyota Prius and gushed all over the 18 mpg GM product.
But his dealer from Clearwater Fl. said that people are not running to dump 40 thousand into a SUV that gets rather poor MPG, I.E. around 4 to 8 MPG more than its guzzling forefather.
GM just can not let go of this SUV thing. Its like Heroin to them.
The prius meanwhile sells like gold at 300 and oz in a 900 oz market.
I fear the days of Detroit being the capitol of the auto world is a thing of the past.
I was going to keep my silverado PU for driving short runs to home depot and the like, now I may put it on the market to get something out of it while it is even worth anything.
I just saw a dealer adv. a 07 Silverado with 12 thousand on it for 17.500. a truck that would have sold new a year ago for 34 thousand.
Glenn Beck said he was loosing 500 in value on his SUV each hour. A bit of stretch to make the point but not way out of the ball park.
I personally know of several people who are ticked off that they have to pay to have a dealer take the SUV in on trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM

95 posts, read 261,471 times
Its hurting all the working class. Whos gonna clean the houses and mow the lawns for the rich. Theyll find out pretty quick!! The working class people are gonna be hurt the most and the rich dont care. I made 45,000 last year and spent 5,000 on gas as i try to be a real estate agent. i had stomach cancer last year and had to find something easier to do. I hope the oil companies , Bush, Cheney and the rest of the politicians are proud of what they are doing to this country. And it wont change until the people do something about it

Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,133 times
I agree chad. The idiots like limbaugh tell us that big oil are not making that much money, that the falling dollar has diluted the value of what they are really getting. LOL Like bushie they really think we are all that stupid to drink the kool-aid. When the oil companies are making record profits they try to tell us a rose is not a rose. And some of the rank and file stupid ditto heads gulp it down and ask for more. I hope we get a democrat that will pull us out of this stupid war in Iraq, make a hit on the god of the right [free market] and oil. pass national health care and stop giving sub's. to the rich.
Any first year student of history can look at the parallel between Hoover and bush. Hoover thought that trickle down would work that the economy was just in a bit of a down turn that would correct soon enough, give tax breaks to the top 10% bla bla bla. It did not work then and wont now.
Any one who works for a living and votes Repubichair is as dumb as a box of hammers.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 PM

31 posts, read 112,632 times
how much is gas up in michigan rite now? here in socal cheapest one around is 3.99

Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,687 times
Cheapest in western Wayne County is around 3.75.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM

66 posts, read 341,718 times
When the government limits the supply of energy, and devalues its currency, the price of energy purchased abroad goes up up and away. The Democrats are as much to blame as anyone.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Anonymous_American View Post
When the government limits the supply of energy, and devalues its currency, the price of energy purchased abroad goes up up and away. The Democrats are as much to blame as anyone.
Kind of like the big bailout of the housing industry they want to do. Pouring money to keep a bad thing going longer that just delays the inevitable and makes for more inflation.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM

87 posts, read 232,074 times
Let us drill for our OWN oil in our OWN country and the price will come down. But the left-wing enviromentalists and Democrats in Congress won't let them do it because they're in bed with each other.

I don't see gas prices going much over the $5.00/gallon level, though. It's simple Econ 101 - demand is real high and supply is real low. But the American people won't put up with much more of this.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,168 times
Default right wing lies

I get so sick and tired of the right wing pendents lies.
Here is an article on what oil in Alaska would do to the price of oil. There is not enough oil to run the usa for more than a few years at best. Hubbert said in 55 that us oil would peak in 70, he was laughed out of every place he went, well now it is accepted we peaked in 71.
He also said the world would peak in 2004 and because of the man made oil shortage in the 70s it pushed this off till what many experts believe is now.
There has not been a major find of new oil in the world for 10 years. And all the oil experts say that the world has been mapped. Even this find off the coast of Brazil has been known about for a while but because of how deep the oil is in the ocean tec. has just now been developed to reach it. We are 10 years from now before we see the first drop.

How long will it be before any of the right wing idiots see that they can no longer put up road blocks to conservation?

Using less is the fastest and best way to stretch out what we are able to produce and buy time to find something or things to replace oil.

The other right wing myth is that we need new oil refinery's, and that none have been built for many years, ture, but they fail to tell you that the existing refinery's have been doubled in size in the last 20 years.
I think this election the people of this country are sick of fake wars, pandering to big business, tax cuts for the rich 1% and right wing "stratergery" in general.
We have to rebuild this country, we need cities that have mass transportation, cars with much higher MPG standards that Detroit has been fighting, taxing of cars and suv's that are gas guzzlers, and many other things including building of atomic power,wind,wave, and solar.
We may be to late to make a smooth transition to alt. energy but every year we waste and we have wasted 8 years in failed bush non policy's will make if harder to make the move.

The campaign the environmental societies and scientists are running focus on a couple of main points — that there's not enough oil to make it worth our while and that any production will drastically affect the wildlife living in the refuge.
The politicians and oil companies will lead us to believe that oil produced from ANWR will be America's salvation and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
They state that they have, and will follow, environmentally friendly policies in exploration and production of the oil fields. How accurate are these statements? Existing North Slope oil fields produce nearly 1 million barrels of oil per day. The U.S. consumes about 21 million barrels of oil per day, 25 percent of the worldwide total of 84 million barrels consumed per day.
Assuming a mean of 5.3 billion barrels of economically recoverable oil, we will only find an eight- to nine-month supply of oil in the 1002 Area. It will also take from seven to 10 years before any of this oil is available to consumers in the United States. (Conversely, increasing the fuel efficiency of automobiles to 45 mpg for cars and 34 mpg for trucks would save 3 million barrels of oil each day.)

Production to increase anyway
U.S. domestic oil production will increase over the next four years, from the current 5.7 million barrels a day to 6.1 million barrels a day, largely because of additional oil coming from the Gulf of Mexico, according to the EIA report.
But after that, domestic production will decline steadily without access to the Alaskan coastal plain, and it is expected to fall to 4.6 million barrels a day by 2025. With demand increasing, imports will continue to play a larger role, jumping from 9.7 million barrels a day to nearly 16 million barrels a day, about 70 percent of what is consumed by 2025.
With the 876,000 barrels the refuge could provide a day, the reliance on imports would drop to 66 percent of domestic consumption, the EIA analysis said. The study said it would likely have little impact on world oil prices — perhaps reducing the price by 30 to 50 cents a barrel if prices were in the $27-a-barrel range.
The price of light sweet crude was $37.48 per barrel Tuesday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
James Kendell, one of the authors of the study, said the refuge would add to domestic production, but “when you’re talking of a world oil market of over 75 million barrels a day, adding 900,000 barrels by 2025 is a drop in the bucket.”

Old 05-10-2008, 11:35 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda woods View Post
I agree chad. The idiots like limbaugh tell us that big oil are not making that much money, that the falling dollar has diluted the value of what they are really getting. LOL Like bushie they really think we are all that stupid to drink the kool-aid. When the oil companies are making record profits they try to tell us a rose is not a rose. And some of the rank and file stupid ditto heads gulp it down and ask for more. I hope we get a democrat that will pull us out of this stupid war in Iraq, make a hit on the god of the right [free market] and oil. pass national health care and stop giving sub's. to the rich.
Any first year student of history can look at the parallel between Hoover and bush. Hoover thought that trickle down would work that the economy was just in a bit of a down turn that would correct soon enough, give tax breaks to the top 10% bla bla bla. It did not work then and wont now.
Any one who works for a living and votes Repubichair is as dumb as a box of hammers.
Let's look at the post above and figure this out. First, if the government took over the oil companies (I presume that is what is desired) and they ran it as a non profit, the price of gas would go down about 40 cents a gallon. Let's see, you then want free health care. Since you want to "make a hit on the god of the right (free market)" this eliminates a lot of the people who you are going to force into paying for it, so that will not happen. I guess that you could just have the government print up money and see what happens. As far as subsidies, I agree that they all should be eliminated - tax breaks to the wealthy, tax deduction for mortgage interest, subsidies for farmers, medicare, medicaid, etc. Let's just get rid of all entitlements.

Of course, there will be no businesses under your plan, because no one would be stupid enough to want to own one. Therefore, your pool of "everyone who works for a living" dwindles up real fast. There will not be any incentives to be self employed, so I am not sure what everyone will do.

Everyone will be forced to fend for themselves. Hey, that is a great idea. Since there will be no companies to provide a paycheck, life will become pretty simple. We will not even need money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies