Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times

Advertisements

CAs government used money intended for roads and infrastructure on other things (pensions), so they passed new gas tax laws to make up the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its $3.05 here in my small part of Pennsylvania. Yes, I think its mostly state taxes. And we have some of the worst roads in the nation. And before anyone snarks about liberalism, Pa. went for Trump in 2016. Bigly.
Pennsylvania has the highest gasoline tax in the country now, at $.58/gallon. I paid $3.09 yesterday here in S.E. PA.

To be fair, while PA did go for Trump it has largely turned to a Democrat state, with a Democrat Governor. Trump was the first Republican that won for Pres since Reagan. That was a long time ago. I am not saying that is the reason for high gasoline prices as the latest gas tax increase was a BIPARTISAN effort co-sponsored by my State Senator, a Republican, and co-sponsored by a Democrat, but signed by the previous Republican Governor.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Thanks for pointing out how not to trust Fox News.
The media is mostly a bunch of profit companies so trolling for ratings with red-meat stories like this is par for the course.

NBC, ABC etc. etc. etc. all have similar "gloom and doom" gas price articles.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=gGw....0.ikfQmYWxWjk

P.S. ABC is running with the same story as FOX essentially noting the one gas station.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Where I live in Tennessee, it's only $2.59. Why is it $5 in NY?

Is it all state and local taxes?
As a general rule the difference between gas prices are typically:

1) Taxes

2) The cost of the land the station is sitting on. If you have a gas station sitting on a $2million dollar lot in NYC vs. one sitting alongside the interstate and some corn-fields in Iowa that cost $200k for the lot.....all else being equal you need to be charging more for everything in the station not to mention other cost of living forces.

<This is why gas might be $1.50 a gallon higher in NYC vs. some small town out in the middle of the state.>

3) Misc. things like special blends, lack of competition (like the airport gas station gouge) also can occasionally factor in.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Pennsylvania has the highest gasoline tax in the country now, at $.58/gallon. I paid $3.09 yesterday here in S.E. PA.

To be fair, while PA did go for Trump it has largely turned to a Democrat state, with a Democrat Governor. Trump was the first Republican that won for Pres since Reagan. That was a long time ago. I am not saying that is the reason for high gasoline prices as the latest gas tax increase was a BIPARTISAN effort co-sponsored by my State Senator, a Republican, and co-sponsored by a Democrat, but signed by the previous Republican Governor.
That we can agree on. But you know most of the counties in our state did go red for Trump. Allegheny County (Pittsburgh); Lehigh, Bucks, Chester and Montgomery Counties (Philadelphia and metro area); Centre County (Penn State Main Campus/State College); Dauphin County (Harrisburg and metro area); Lackawanna County (Scranton and metro area); Monroe County (no major cities but it abuts NJ)...they are the only counties out of the whole state to go for Clinton. The vast majority voted red.

I can't explain Monroe County because their neighbors to the east in NJ mostly went red too. It's an anomaly.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As a general rule the difference between gas prices are typically:

1) Taxes

2) The cost of the land the station is sitting on. If you have a gas station sitting on a $2million dollar lot in NYC vs. one sitting alongside the interstate and some corn-fields in Iowa that cost $200k for the lot.....all else being equal you need to be charging more for everything in the station not to mention other cost of living forces.

<This is why gas might be $1.50 a gallon higher in NYC vs. some small town out in the middle of the state.>

3) Misc. things like special blends, lack of competition (like the airport gas station gouge) also can occasionally factor in.
Newburgh and Cooperstown are slightly higher than NYC prices as of right now per GasBuddy.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Gas hits $5 a gallon in New York City - Story | WNYW

But it's right here on Fox News!!!
Clown comment. That is a local fox affiliate not the cable fox news you people get so triggered by.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
$2.59 here today.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
I just saw the odd man out, price of $3.03 diesel, on my way back from Houston in one of those "blink by" towns on Hwy 71.
Once back in Austin, it was back to $2.69-$2.74 diesel.
I think gas is $2.3x, around here.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
CAs government used money intended for roads and infrastructure on other things (pensions), so they passed new gas tax laws to make up the difference.
Looks like the same situation in Quebec. Where gas taxes goes on others things as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies