Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

The primary reasons for the increased costs are cuts in production from OPEC in January. It's no coidcidenc it's been rising steadily since then. This is a whole other ballgame than any time in the past as US and Canadian production will increase due to the high prices driving them back down as more supply comes on the market.

More high paying jobs in the energy sector, more energy security and a more stable oil market going forward.

Win, win and win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 04:39 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times
The price of gas has very little to do with anything the president does. Gas has also been about the same price when adjusting for inflation for the last 75 years with peaks and valleys like the ones pointed out by the OP.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
The price of gas has very little to do with anything the president does.

I think you need to be careful about saying that as their policies can very much effect prices, how much depends on what they are doing. While Trump's policies have little to do with this rise in prices his pro domestic energy policies will help drive them back down.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
The price of gas has very little to do with anything the president does. Gas has also been about the same price when adjusting for inflation for the last 75 years with peaks and valleys like the ones pointed out by the OP.
That has been proven wrong ,over and over.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/co...-opec-14563159

Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
So anytime the gas prices went up when Obama was president the left howled about how he had nothing to do with it, now it's magically Trumps fault? Hypocrites. If liberals didn't have double standards they'd have none at all.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Link, oh that's right .You just make stuff up you don't need to back things up.
You need me to prove to you what makes up GDP?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:42 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
National retail averages:

$4.10/gal Bush, 2009
$1.69/gal Obama, 2015
$2.98/gal Trump, May 2018

Gas was a lot cheaper under Obama. Politics does have a large role in this because oil markets don't like instability. Trump is such a volatile, unpredictable leader the markets have to price in the risk. Will Trump attack Iran? Will Trump put sanctions on Iran? He roils the markets, causing prices to go up.
The rise in prices was already decided in November 2017.

"OPEC and non-OPEC producers led by Russia agreed on Thursday to extend oil output cuts until the end of 2018 as they try to finish clearing a global glut of crude while signaling a possible early exit from the deal if the market overheats."

Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
trump doesn't drive he has no idea how it hurts Americans.
I agree that that Trump has no idea how limited finances can impact some Americans, but he did have a DL at least as late as 2014 (and obviously Presidents don't drive while in office):

Video of Trump driving Rolls-Royce and listening to Taylor Swift resurfaces - Business Insider

Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I have long been of the opinion that presidents do not DIRECTLY affect the price of oil. It seems to me that one exception for this is if there is suddenly poor relations/embargo/sanctions with regard to an oil producing nation. I believe that is the case with Iran. But I think there are a lot of factors that go into oil prices that I am not really educated about. So while I think that Trump has influenced gas prices by his policy on Iran, I doubt that is the only reason for the rise in prices, and I assume that those other reasons may have little to do with who is the US president.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
I despise Trump for what he - regardless of what party he pretends to represent - and I hold his worst supporters in the deepest of contempt for their frequent hypocrisy, double-standards, and viewpoints on minorities, the poor, and those of other religions. I also have no use for American's disgusting culture of excess and run-away greed.

All that being said, I wouldn't directly blame Trump for the rise in gas prices. Yes, his insane behavior and utterly unreliable nature, particularly in the Middle East, is caused by part of that. But you have a variety of other causes, too, ranging from a hurricane in the Gulf to Americans switching back to gas-guzzling cars (ironically, because gas was cheap) that drives up consumption and prices. In short, Trump is the worst president this nation has even had and easily the least qualified person to hold that office in 100+ years, but even he doesn't deserve all the blame for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies