Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:15 PM

45,607 posts, read 27,230,182 times

Advertisements

Here we go with this again...

A Medical Mystery Grows as U.S. Consulate Workers in China Fall Ill

A crisis over a mysterious ailment sickening American diplomats and their families — which began in Cuba and recently appeared in China — widened on Wednesday. The State Department evacuated at least two more Americans who fell ill in China after hearing strange noises, officials said.

The new illnesses in China come just weeks after American officials reported finding their first case in Guangzhou, where a consulate employee got sick after reporting disturbing noises.

The illnesses in China have broadened a medical mystery that started in 2016, when American Embassy employees and their family members began falling ill in Havana. In all, 24 of them were stricken with headaches, nausea, hearing loss, cognitive issues and other symptoms after saying they heard odd sounds. The issue has roiled relations with Cuba, which immediately fell under suspicion, and led the United States to expel Cuban diplomats.

This seems to be a growing phenomenon in Communist countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times
Apparently a new weapon. This is sort of concerning, I suspect Cuba was the first test site, and now they are targeting specific folks. I wonder what the goal is, and if we can figure out how to detect it and go after the people doing it.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently a new weapon. This is sort of concerning, I suspect Cuba was the first test site, and now they are targeting specific folks. I wonder what the goal is, and if we can figure out how to detect it and go after the people doing it.

I highly doubt that whatever is going on is being used as a weapon. That has no purpose... What I would suggest is it's possibly a side effect of eavesdropping equipment they wished didn't exist.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I highly doubt that whatever is going on is being used as a weapon. That has no purpose... What I would suggest is it's possibly a side effect of eavesdropping equipment they wished didn't exist.

Well...thats a fascinating thought. The argument I would use against that is that the effects were...heard...in sleeping quarters in the morning in Cuba. Lets see if I can find the article...

Ahh..nevermind. Other articles explain that. The argument being made is that its multiple listening devices, and the injuries to folks are a result of them malfunctioning, or being placed too close together. This can cause cavitation to occur inside of folks, and voila. bad things occur.

But the power levels required to do that are fairly high. And just plain insane to use.....plus I would suspect VERY detectable. I could probably whip up some hardware and a phone app in under a month with moderate funding.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Other articles explain that. The argument being made is that its multiple listening devices, and the injuries to folks are a result of them malfunctioning, or being placed too close together.

That's certainly plausible. My point would be I doubt they are purposely sickening people, there is no point and certainly isn't good for relations when people are being mysteriously sickened. You are also exposing whatever it is you are trying to do.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
My guess would be malfunctioning listening devices, possibly really old models.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,890,538 times
diplomats or CIA agents assigned to our embassy in China?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:02 PM

45,607 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Here's the recording of the strange sound US diplomats heard in Cuba before suffering mysterious brain injuries
The Associated Press has obtained and released audio of mysterious sounds that some US diplomats and families heard in Cuba before suffering hearing loss, mild traumatic brain injury, nervous system damage, and balance problems.

According to the AP's analysis, which they elaborate on in a new video, there are approximately 20 different frequencies embedded in this sound — think of a bunch of piano keys all being struck at the same time. The sound is located between 7,000 and 8,000 kHz on an audio scale.

No one has figured out what is responsible for the injuries. The lack of explanation, the strange symptoms, and the fact that a number of affected people reported strange auditory phenomena have led to speculation that the injuries are linked to mysterious sonic weapons. The diplomats' reports kicked off a search for sonic devices, though none have been found.

And it's still not clear whether this sound is a weapon at all. It's possible that the devices used to capture this recording didn't catch whatever it was that caused harm, particularly if that damage was caused by the use of very low or high frequencies, also known as infrasound or ultrasound.
I wonder how long the people were exposed to the sound before they started feeling ill.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,230,302 times
Quote:
Well...thats a fascinating thought. The argument I would use against that is that the effects were...heard...in sleeping quarters in the morning in Cuba. Lets see if I can find the article...

Ahh..nevermind. Other articles explain that. The argument being made is that its multiple listening devices, and the injuries to folks are a result of them malfunctioning, or being placed too close together. This can cause cavitation to occur inside of folks, and voila. bad things occur.

But the power levels required to do that are fairly high. And just plain insane to use.....plus I would suspect VERY detectable. I could probably whip up some hardware and a phone app in under a month with moderate funding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
My guess would be malfunctioning listening devices, possibly really old models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Here's the recording of the strange sound US diplomats heard in Cuba before suffering mysterious brain injuries
The Associated Press has obtained and released audio of mysterious sounds that some US diplomats and families heard in Cuba before suffering hearing loss, mild traumatic brain injury, nervous system damage, and balance problems.

According to the AP's analysis, which they elaborate on in a new video, there are approximately 20 different frequencies embedded in this sound — think of a bunch of piano keys all being struck at the same time. The sound is located between 7,000 and 8,000 kHz on an audio scale.

No one has figured out what is responsible for the injuries. The lack of explanation, the strange symptoms, and the fact that a number of affected people reported strange auditory phenomena have led to speculation that the injuries are linked to mysterious sonic weapons. The diplomats' reports kicked off a search for sonic devices, though none have been found.

And it's still not clear whether this sound is a weapon at all. It's possible that the devices used to capture this recording didn't catch whatever it was that caused harm, particularly if that damage was caused by the use of very low or high frequencies, also known as infrasound or ultrasound.
I wonder how long the people were exposed to the sound before they started feeling ill.

They would not be LISTENING devices. Those are almost entirely passive. They don't emit anything for any sustained period of time. In fact, if they did emit anything, in any spectrum, they'd be rendered largely useless as a covert system. It certainly wouldn't be prolonged enough to cause injury to a human.

If its connected in any way to security, it would be counter-measure gear, which is designed to INTERFERE with audio or RF signals in order to confuse/defeat collection attempts. These systems are commonly deployed in a variety of sensitive environments but they're very well designed and tested. It's possible that such a system could be harmful to a human, but it generally wouldn't be something that would occur unintentionally. Since governments typically allow foreign diplomatic mission facilities only in non-sensitive areas its very unlikely to be something of that nature operated by the host nation.

No idea what the source of these symptoms might be, but can say very confidently that it is not listening equipment.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

No, it would absolutely have a purpose. Think about it, if an enemy could develop a weapon that incapacitated the other side, so that they were sick and confused, they would have developed the perfect weapon.

This is something we all need to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies