Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not your daddy. What I do is what I would do. What you do is what you would do.

Unless you want to (and I'm serious here...i'll put in the time) imagine for a minute we live in that free society and we are friendly enough to form casual to even binding agreements and want to tackle these things together.

If so, just let me know and we'll begin. Nobody said freedom was easy or fast. If I wanted to pass the buck I'd be a voter...

My right to be free from discrimination is non-negotiable. Period.

And I'm darned glad that you're NOT a voter, because I AM one, and I will and do vote for elected officials who will protect my rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Cop-out.

You never want to address how your vision of the country would actually work for the average person. Just because you're the friendly, non-aggressive anarcho doesn't mean that there wouldn't be thousands if not millions who would make life a living hell for anyone remotely different.

And what's my recourse, drag them to some Kumbaya council to air out grievances?
I just said I'd work with you.

I can't give you a definitive one-size-fits-all answer because I'm an individual and you're an individual.

We build from there.

You don't think for yourself, ever? The State is telling you what to think, how to act, and even what to type to me?

Of course it isn't. You're an individual with your own positives and negatives...just like me.

Still want to hash those examples out if you're ready. It does take time. So many years of indoctrination makes this process hard to nearly impossible depending on the personality of the person.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
My right to be free from discrimination is non-negotiable. Period.

And I'm darned glad that you're NOT a voter, because I AM one, and I will and do vote for elected officials who will protect my rights.
Your rights never change. They are absolute. The only person that can protect your rights is you. Nobody has the right to give or take away your rights.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
Quote:

I can't give you a definitive one-size-fits-all answer because I'm an individual and you're an individual.

We build from there.

You don't think for yourself, ever? The State is telling you what to think, how to act, and even what to type to me?

Of course it isn't. You're an individual with your own positives and negatives...just like me.

Still want to hash those examples out if you're ready. It does take time. So many years of indoctrination makes this process hard to nearly impossible depending on the personality of the person.

Take the 3rd one.

Quoted here so you don't have to search for it.

Quote:
Scenario #3 - A couple attends a concert feeling secure that the artist will welcome them in the stadium. They gain entrance. All seems clear. Man proceeds to the concessions to buy drinks. Concessions is run by a separate corporation. There rules stipulate man is unfit to buy beverages. The man can't bring drinks in so he can't leave to buy it elsewhere. He presents his date with tap water. She asks what happened. What do you tell her?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:

We build from there.

The state is there tonworry about things I have no time for. Im heading to work and if the AMPM wants to bar me from getting my coffee they can choke on it. The state makes it so no one can give me a hard time because I got enough to worry about.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Take the 3rd one.

Quoted here so you don't have to search for it.
I would tell her that unfortunately I couldn't purchase the drinks because the man wouldn't sell them to me.

What would you do?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I would tell her that unfortunately I couldn't purchase the drinks because the man wouldn't sell them to me.

What would you do?
Id tell the man the drinks are for someone else. Then my girl and I would walk pst him as she drinks the drink he didn’t wanna give her. Middle finger up just for the cherry on top.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Id tell the man the drinks are for someone else. Then my girl and I would walk pst him as she drinks the drink he didn’t wanna give her. Middle finger up just for the cherry on top.
I generally wouldn't want to do this because then I'm supporting an owner who discriminates.

I like it emotionally...logically it's not good.

That's the difference in this entire debate really: logic vs. emotion

Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I generally wouldn't want to do this because then I'm supporting an owner who discriminates.

I like it emotionally...logically it's not good.

That's the difference in this entire debate really: logic vs. emotion
No, it makes total sense logically. Dbag is treating my girl like **. He’s gonna get something.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
The idea that people are bad and bad things may happen so we must initiate violence to possibly prevent/minimize these events is not a very moral or logical approach to anything...especially when we take into consideration freedom of movement, freedom of association, and owning yourself.

I was going to joke a bit on the hippie comment but since you know a bit about me do you believe my background lends itself to having this outlook out of naivete or perhaps from experience? I do come from a place where the "good guys" were just as bad if not worse than the "bad guys", remember?
Cheap shot on my part so I apologize to you.

I don't believe most people are bad, but many are. And knowing there are racists in this country who would love to discriminate, I know legislation is necessary.

Some of those people following black folks around in stores may decide they don't want to be bothered.

And others would just love to get in the faces of black folks and tell them to get the hell out.

I don't want either happening. Legislation to limit that so all Americans can enjoy the same rights is 'initiating violence' about as much as shoelaces are nooses.

Surely you know a brownish/blackish/whateverish man with two degrees (or two advanced degrees, I can't recall now) who lives in a large city and has his own business and has been toughened by growing up where you did, might not have the same experience as someone without education, living in a small town, having to rely on someone else to make a living.

As far as I'm concerned, being in favor of legislation to protect people against discrimination is being extremely moral and logical. I don't even have a horse in this race. I just know it's the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies