Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
If he cannot adhere to district policy and treat all his students with respect, he has no business teaching in that district. He is well within his rights to resign. It’s not that difficult to comprehend.

Respect is being civil.

It doesn't mean that you can dictate what I say and ignore the laws of biology.

It doesn't mean that you take away my rights to free speech.

It doesn't mean that my opinions are irrelevant.

People don't understand what respect means. They think is means "do what I tell you to do, act like I tell you how to act."

No. That's coercion: the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 06:11 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
You'll never convince Christians.
That's hardly something to take pride in.

Incidentally, Christianity has changed its collective mind on so many subjects so often, what makes you so certain this subject is the one that you'll not compromise on?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:12 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I prefer to be called Queen Zora of Emeralds, the Underwater Mermaid Volcano Lake. I also demand that when people approach me, they must present a $50 bill, as I am trans-financial-accepting. No $50 bill? I go to the school board and demand equality and tolerance. I demand a parade in my honor and a special sticker to go on the window so everyone knows this is a trans-financial-accepting facility.

When my demands are not met, I fall to the ground, weeping and wailing, incoherent in my abyss of grief and self loathing, unable to function at all, you've stopped me dead in my tracks. Because it's all your fault. You are not tolerant and accepting, and you should be ashamed of YOUR behavior.

Any takers??
Do you know what "projection" is?

Old 06-09-2018, 01:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Respect is being civil.

It doesn't mean that you can dictate what I say and ignore the laws of biology.

It doesn't mean that you take away my rights to free speech.

It doesn't mean that my opinions are irrelevant.

People don't understand what respect means. They think is means "do what I tell you to do, act like I tell you how to act."

No. That's coercion: the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.
That all changes when you are employed to do a job.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:47 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The last time that I checked, a preference for "non-bitterness" was not a measure of holiness.

Biblcial social standards, however, are.

WWJD indeed. He would not call Frank Sally. Anything else is wishful liberalism. It certainly isn't Christian.

Christianity is not a mere mandate toward being "nice", or a doormat, for every manner of social preference. To think otherwise is anti-Christian. Read your bible for once, in is entirety.
Based on the book so many “Christians” seem to follow, it sure sounds to me as though this Jesus would not only call a person by their preferred name, but he would most likely invite them to hang out. And before anyone asks, yes, I’ve read this book before.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:52 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and fund them with what??? the PEOPLE are overtaxed as it is

With not much to show for it either except propagandized children.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is about more than just a name. After all, kids are called lots of different names with no problem. (My son was called a nick-name throughout his schooling because that is what he requested. No one ever had a problem with it.) And there are many names that are used for both sexes. The problem is that this kid probably requested a name typically used by the opposite sex, and the teacher thought that using that name would signal approval of the "reassignment" of sex. You know, if it is the policy of the school to use that name, and the teacher can't abide by the policy, well, I think resignation is a good alternative. Many of us have experienced quitting a job because we disagreed with a policy. This guy should get a job in a conservative religious school and let some other music teacher have that public school job. The only reason this is in the news is that "religious freedom" is in the news. When a job I had years ago asked me to do what I thought was professionally unethical, and I quit as a result, it didn't make the news. This shouldn't have either.

This is dead on correct.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Seems like a pretty silly hill to die on, to me. If they are clearly a dude but want to be called Samantina Jazzadelica and dress like the Chiquita Banana lady then just humor them and complain to your spouse and friends about them are when you get home. They’ll probably grow out of it in a year or two anyways.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:29 AM

7 posts, read 4,458 times
I think the teacher is wrong here. What about when women get married they change their name - what about when you just want to be called Mags instead of Margaret.

I understand he's obviously going by his principles, so I think he did the right thing resigning - but there's no news here.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The teacher says that the school district's requirement that teachers call transgender students by their preferred names, rather than those given at birth, goes against his religious beliefs and violates his First Amendment rights.

The Board requires that teachers call transgender students by their preferred name reflecting the gender with which they identify, rather than the name given to them at birth. Students cannot request this change until they have written consent from a parent and doctor, according to an internal document posted online by the Indiana Family Institute.

Once a student receives the required approvals, their name is changed in the district's online record keeping system. At that point, the document says teachers are to refer to students by that name.

Note that this teacher is out (resigned or 'forced") over a policy and he has not actually been in a situation where this policy applies.

Rather drastic, rather than respect your students and call them by their name on record.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ool/672285002/
It's all just become so stupid that it's little wonder that they can't find enough teachers any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies