Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
And the fact that prescriptions for SSRI drugs are up 500% since 1994 has nothing to do with it? We all know the medical pro-fesh-uh-nuls who push these pills carefully manage the known, "clinical" risks, and patients always carefully follow the dose schedule.

Of course they do. Couldn't be the SSRIs, no way.

That is a good point all the meds out there to treat ones mental state and the end result is more suicide.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:21 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
This morning a thought struck me.

In threads about the rise of mass shootings, I and at least one other poster had spoken of a theory concerning 'thresholds'.

The theory asked you to imagine 100 people standing about upset about some issue. There is no riot planned.

Yet, one of the person's has 'no moral threshold', so he readily grabs a brick, and throws it through a window.

Person 2 has a low threshold of '1'. Seeing the one person throw a brick, person 2 picks up his brick.

Person 3 has a threshold of 2, meaning if he sees two others engaging in such activity, then his 'moral threshold' has been reached, and he reaches for the brick.

So down the line. Person 100 may have a very high moral threshold. However, even he, seeing 99 others throwing bricks, will finally reach for his brick.

Again, the theory was about potential mass shooters, and how a person's moral threshold may be quite high, but as the number of mass shootings increase, sooner or later their threshold is reached, and they begin shooting.

It is a theory, but a rather attractive one. My thought is that this theory may well be applicable to the steady rise in the suicide rate. You will have a person that is contemplating suicide, but holds off, for whatever reason (religious, family concerns, etc.).

Yet, if that person sees how many people are opting for suicide, then his or her 'moral threshold' will sooner or later be reached.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

"Only half of people who died by suicide had diagnosed mental health conditions."

Middle-Age Suicides On Rise, New CDC Report Says

"High suicide rates have largely been associated with younger populations, but middle age suicides are beginning to rise throughout the country, a new report says."

Suicide

Speculation ...

If people begin to think that family or the world would be better off with out them. Perhaps they begin to think of their lives as elderly and what that might look like. Perhaps stresses brought on, by a number of sources.

I knew a guy, (young in his 20's) that he didn't get a promotion that he had worked really hard to get. He needed the raise in job status to help meet climbing medical bills, because one of his children was sick ... several weeks after he was passed over on that promotion, he 'accidentally' took two medications that were in conflict with each other ... the company did offer life insurance, so I'm thinking there was a method to his madness. Again speculation on my part, just trying to understand, why.

Doesn't matter ... the kids grow up without a father.

People can not stop some one from doing what they're going to do and even trying to understand the why, it doesn't matter. The people they leave behind, most generally will blame themselves, as they are left with the loss ...

It's tough no matter which way we look at it as people are impacted by the act of another.

PS: Change your thoughts and change your stars ...

Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
I see 3 main causes:
1. Social media: human relations have deteriorated, what we have now is artificial relations.
2. Economic insecurity: this has always existed, but it seems extreme now. Everything is disposables, same with workers. It used to be that goods lasted years, and when they broke you took them to someone for repair. Now, it is cheaper to throw them away and buy new (this is done by design). Workers are treated the same way.
3. Over prescription of drugs: This makes more harm than good, but it's good for business.

In all three cases the underlying theme is that the economic system no longer support human value. Instead of using the economy to serve human development and well being, human well being is sacrificed for the sake of economic growth, more specifically that of a few rich people.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:20 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
It's going to be mostly men who have trouble getting women or get their hearts broken. We have too many men on the planet relative to the population of women.. ideally it should be more like 33-40% men, and 60-66% women based on evolution. In any case life is not fair and throughout the evolution of our species, a good half of men never got to pass on their seed.. this is just mother nature ensuring the strongest survive.

I never hear the social justice warriors talking about the male suicide rate when they are talking about equality. Men if they are socially awkward are basically crapped on by society and given no sympathy compared to the plights of women. Males really are the disposable gender.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:46 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
It's going to be mostly men who have trouble getting women or get their hearts broken. We have too many men on the planet relative to the population of women.. ideally it should be more like 33-40% men, and 60-66% women based on evolution. In any case life is not fair and throughout the evolution of our species, a good half of men never got to pass on their seed.. this is just mother nature ensuring the strongest survive.

I never hear the social justice warriors talking about the male suicide rate when they are talking about equality. Men if they are socially awkward are basically crapped on by society and given no sympathy compared to the plights of women. Males really are the disposable gender.
Your post is pathetic. If you want to whine about how men are so persecuted, take it somewhere else. This is about suicide. Your desperate attempt to bash females has no place here & is offensive to the topic at hand.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:52 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

In threads about the rise of mass shootings, I and at least one other poster had spoken of a theory concerning 'thresholds'.

The theory asked you to imagine 100 people standing about upset about some issue. There is no riot planned.

Yet, one of the person's has 'no moral threshold', so he readily grabs a brick, and throws it through a window.

Person 2 has a low threshold of '1'. Seeing the one person throw a brick, person 2 picks up his brick.

Person 3 has a threshold of 2, meaning if he sees two others engaging in such activity, then his 'moral threshold' has been reached, and he reaches for the brick.

So down the line. Person 100 may have a very high moral threshold. However, even he, seeing 99 others throwing bricks, will finally reach for his brick.

Again, the theory was about potential mass shooters, and how a person's moral threshold may be quite high, but as the number of mass shootings increase, sooner or later their threshold is reached, and they begin shooting.

It is a theory, but a rather attractive one. My thought is that this theory may well be applicable to the steady rise in the suicide rate. You will have a person that is contemplating suicide, but holds off, for whatever reason (religious, family concerns, etc.).

Yet, if that person sees how many people are opting for suicide, then his or her 'moral threshold' will sooner or later be reached.
You've just described antifa and all the anti-Free Speechers on American college campuses. Oh yeah, and the vandalizing/looting protest marchers after Trump was elected in 2016. Seems a LOT of people on the left have very low moral thresholds.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:02 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

There was this thing when I was a kid, that my parents used to say...

Just because they do something, doesn't make it right.
If they jumped off a bridge or cliff, would you jump off too?

So apply discipline, high self esteem, and pride together. 0 shootings. 0 suicides.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your post is pathetic. If you want to whine about how men are so persecuted, take it somewhere else. This is about suicide. Your desperate attempt to bash females has no place here & is offensive to the topic at hand.
How privileged of you to declare what's relative and what isnt...

Ever consider their point that socially awkward individuals struggling to find a significant other may be a reason to why they off themselves out of striking out and feeling hopeless in that department?

Because that's what the dorky kids in highschool went on about as to the why they were suicidal...

So take your self anointed attitude and GFY.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:36 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Maybe the deplorables realized that even with all of the promises Trump made to the blue-collar class, that high class hot women still don't want anything to do with these angry, calloused, sunburned men.
No offense, but have you SEEN most of the non celebrity liberal wonen??? Go google somevpussy March videos...half look like men, and the other half are fat. They apparently aren't liberal with beauty items (like makeup or attractive hairstyles but are liberal with food. )
And in my single days, I'd happily take a guy that is sunburned or callused over a metrosexual that takes longer to get ready to go out than I do, or uses more beauty products than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies