Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The 2018 stats are not friendly toward Ohio.

7. Cleveland: 10.63 per 100K
8. Cincinnati: 10.29 per 100K
14. Toledo: 7.96 per 100K
23. Columbus: 6.14 per 100K

Notable places under 250K population.
Dayton: 5.7 per 100K
Anyone from the Cleveland area can explain Cleveland's standing in a few words: Near East Side.

If you picked up the very tiny geographic area from I-77 (west boundary) to E. 116th (east) and from Just south of Woodland Ave (south) to the lake, and you simply removed it from Cleveland entirely, our stats would put us in the 100 best places to live.

East Cleveland has to be seen to be believed, it's that bad. But like 75-80% of the horror story socioeconomic data that drops Cleveland for an overall metro area comes from a very small, isolated amount of geography. I cannot speak for Cincy, Dayton, Columbus or Toledo, but I'd venture to guess they are similar in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 12:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Anyone from the Cleveland area can explain Cleveland's standing in a few words: Near East Side.

If you picked up the very tiny geographic area from I-77 (west boundary) to E. 116th (east) and from Just south of Woodland Ave (south) to the lake, and you simply removed it from Cleveland entirely, our stats would put us in the 100 best places to live.

East Cleveland has to be seen to be believed, it's that bad. But like 75-80% of the horror story socioeconomic data that drops Cleveland for an overall metro area comes from a very small, isolated amount of geography. I cannot speak for Cincy, Dayton, Columbus or Toledo, but I'd venture to guess they are similar in that regard.
Yeah I have heard that about East Cleveland . That’s a shame , hope the area can turn around .
There are very cheap homes there but everyone says to avoid that area . I have been considering purchasing some rental property in Cleveland .
Looks like there has been a lot of development in the downtown area and population has been going up a lot in the downtown area .

Seems like it has some good potential . I know in Cincinnati over the Rhine area looks like it’s been a big success and it used to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America from what i have read .

Old 06-19-2018, 12:32 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I loved Memphis when I lived there. I hate living in the boonies where I do live now. Not sure what good this list is for.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I loved Memphis when I lived there. I hate living in the boonies where I do live now. Not sure what good this list is for.
Makes sense . I’ve never been to Memphis but I imagine it’s similar to other large cities in that there are rough areas and then nicer upscale areas .

Nashville TN seems to have a lot better reputation overall . Hear a lot of good things about Nashville .

Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
Some are downright s-holes, but I love Knoxville, and Atlanta? Salt Lake City? There are really nice parts of Cleveland and Buffalo, so I don't trust this list at all.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

You can say the same thing for most of the cities on the list. Crime is typically isolated to certain parts of town. In Milwaukee it's the north side. In Chicago it's the south side. Cleveland is not special in this regard and they don't get to exclude themselves from the list.

This is not meant as a slight against Cleveland. I enjoy visiting Cleveland and I see a bright future ahead for the city. My mom is from Euclid. I also grew up in Toledo. The stats for Ohio are what they are. But as someone pointed out earlier, Eastern and Northern cities are at a disadvantage due to the watering down abilities of cities who annex at will. There's no point in putting much stock in lists like this.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You can say the same thing for most of the cities on the list. Crime is typically isolated to certain parts of town. In Milwaukee it's the north side. In Chicago it's the south side. Cleveland is not special in this regard and they don't get to exclude themselves from the list.

This is not meant as a slight against Cleveland. I enjoy visiting Cleveland and I see a bright future ahead for the city. My mom is from Euclid. I also grew up in Toledo. The stats for Ohio are what they are. But as someone pointed out earlier, Eastern and Northern cities are at a disadvantage due to the watering down abilities of cities who annex at will. There's no point in putting much stock in lists like this.
I didn't say Cleveland was special. I said it is probably like other cities regarding how small of a geographic area most of the bad socioeconomic data that drags them down in these lists really are.

I'd hazard the guess that every major city that has a crime problem has that crime and/or poverty problem has that problem isolated to a rather small area versus the overall metro area. For Cleveland, that's our near east side and a few neighborhoods on the near west side.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
I do live in the worst city: San Jose! The worst city in America, period, according to all city data posters.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I honestly don't believe that metro Portland, OR is cheaper on COL than Dayton, OH. That sounds kind of ridiculous honestly to me.

Will note, I have never lived in Dayton but know a lot of people from Dayton. They are the coolest people in Ohio IMO. I'm from Ohio but not Dayton BTW. I've never met a person from Dayton that I noticed that, no matter their class, ethnicity/background/religion, etc. They are just cool people (until I meet an a$$hole from Dayton that will be my stereotype of Daytonians - cool people lol).
It's definitely dependent on your income level as the state/city income taxes of Ohio hit you harder the more you make, I'm just above that threshold. My mortgage is $500 more. Utilities cost less. Groceries are pretty much the same. Gas is more expensive but I work from home so that's not really a factor. Health care is more expensive but employer is paying that. Going out can be more expensive...at the nicer places that just weren't really an option in Dayton. But you're not paying any more for say a Red Robin here than there.

All told the state, city where I was working, and city where I was living(higher rate so had to pay them the difference) income taxes plus the higher property taxes more than offset the cost of living difference here.

Basically the more you make the better you get treated by someplace with a regressive tax structure like WA.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
LIST: These are the 50 worst cities in America to live in - WRIC

No Chicago...a favorite city of discussion on this forum. Enjoy the list and you kids play nice now, ya hear?

1. Detroit, Michigan

2. Flint, Michigan

3. St. Louis, Missouri

4. Las Vegas, Nevada

5. Memphis, Tennessee

6. Cleveland, Ohio

7. Wilmington, Delaware

8. Albany, Georgia

9. Springfield, Missouri

10. Baltimore, Maryland

11. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

12. Florence-Graham, California

13. Hartford, Connecticut

14. Homestead, Florida

15. San Bernardino, California

16. Youngstown, Ohio

17. Pueblo, Colorado

18. Rockford, Illinois

19. Gary, Indiana

20. Little Rock, Arkansas

21. Shreveport, Louisiana

22. Compton, California

23. Merced, California

24. Miami Beach, Florida

25. Daytona Beach, Florida

26. Stockton, California

27. Charleston, West Virginia

28. Springfield, Massachusetts

29. Oakland, California

30. Dayton, Ohio

31. Trenton, New Jersey

32. Tucson, Arizona

33. Fresno, California

34. Canton, Ohio

35. Buffalo, New York

36. Knoxville, Tennesse

37. Toledo, Ohio

38. Kalamazoo, Michigan

39. Tallahassee, Florida

40. New Haven, Connecticut

41. South Bend, Indiana

42. North Charleston, South Carolina

43. Miami, Florida

44. Syracuse, New York

45. Jackson, Missisippi

46. Albuquerque, New Mexico

47. Tacoma, Washington

48. Gainesville, Florida

49. Atlanta

50. Salt Lake City, Utah
Interesting.

I noticed the byline is from KRON, which is a television station in San Francisco (and they got the list from a Richmond, VA station?... that is apparently owned by the same company).

My roots in San Francisco go back to the 1840s, and I'm a Bay Area native.

I've been to 46 of the 50 cities on that list.

There are at least 19 cities on that list that I would choose to live in before choosing to live in the City and County of San Francisco .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies