Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Not surprising of course, it happens everywhere.

But for a company that seemingly prides itself on being 'inclusive' and holding national meetings at every store to have sensitivity training on race, you'd figure they might be a little different. Obviously not.

Interesting the Starbucks spokesman expressed surprise at the allegations of issues of physical handicaps, but mentioned absolutely nothing about ageism rampant at its many stores.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/starbucks...tml#mycomments

Quote:
HuffPost spoke with seven current and former managers of Starbucks-owned stores in five states who say they were bullied by management and, in most cases, were either fired or pushed out of the company for being over age 40.

While Starbucks is often held up as a enviable workplace, where employees are called “partners” and receive stock options, a generous benefits package and free online college tuition, older staff members say the company is increasingly treating employees as disposable. They say that in the past five years, Starbucks has seemed intent on replacing older managers with younger, lower-paid workers who will tough out long shifts, take on greater workloads and cost less to insure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 08:55 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Are you surprised?

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

#HumanNature101

Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Time goes incredibly fast and today's 20 year old will be 40 before they know it. This ageism is only going to come back to bite these people doing it in the butts later on.

The main reason they do it is all about the MONEY though.. older people expect living wages.. young people will take their college degree and get a job that starts at $15/hour much more readily which is all they really want, to pay slave labor wages.

Sex also sells. I know I sometimes bash women for being too promiscuous but truth be told if I was a young, attractive 20 year old woman I'd use it for all it's worth and get men to throw so much money at me that I'd be retired by 30. Looking at it from a pure business perspective, I can see why women do it. Supply and demand rules at the end of the day. You have to have something somebody wants in order to really get ahead.. if you just go through life expecting government to hand you living wage work on a silver platter, you'll probably be disappointed. You have to know your strengths and weaknesses and use them accordingly. An attractive 20 year old woman can certainly make MUCH better money than working at a starbucks.

Last edited by sholomar; 06-16-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 11:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Time goes incredibly fast and today's 20 year old will be 40 before they know it. This ageism is only going to come back to bite these people doing it in the butts later on.

The main reason they do it is all about the MONEY though.. older people expect living wages.. young people will take their college degree and get a job that starts at $15/hour much more readily which is all they really want, to pay slave labor wages.

Sex also sells. I know I sometimes bash women for being too promiscuous but truth be told if I was a young, attractive 20 year old woman I'd use it for all it's worth and get men to throw so much money at me that I'd be retired by 30. Looking at it from a pure business perspective, I can see why women do it. Supply and demand rules at the end of the day. You have to have something somebody wants in order to really get ahead.. if you just go through life expecting government to hand you living wage work on a silver platter, you'll probably be disappointed. You have to know your strengths and weaknesses and use them accordingly. An attractive 20 year old woman can certainly make MUCH better money than working at a starbucks.
You are spot on about that! I know this for a fact too, All the girls Ive known and been friends with, or dated over the years, the ones that are above average in looks know what power and influence they hold over men, they actually learn this at a young age! Some do not like the attention, but others thrive on it and use it in every way they can.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Factoid - one cannot stand on their feet all day as easily as they age.....

Now...I've never went to SB or any other coffee place for the "sexy females", but I do notice some women at these places working at a pace I could never sustain...nor imagine older people sustaining.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Sex also sells. I know I sometimes bash women for being too promiscuous but truth be told if I was a young, attractive 20 year old woman I'd use it for all it's worth and get men to throw so much money at me that I'd be retired by 30.
That's pretty sad - but I know you are not alone in that particular world view. Barnum and Bailey as well as the world's oldest profession figured all that stuff out long ago.

But my take is that you wouldn't have a fulfilled life...one way or another, it would come back to bite you in the butt.

I think many of us might take the one million (in the old day) to do a Playboy shoot...but these days given what you have to show (and the smaller payments), I think many would be somewhat ashamed when their kids and grandkids googled them.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Factoid - one cannot stand on their feet all day as easily as they age....
I think experienced nurses who participate on this forum and work on their feet all day, sometimes 12 hours straight in a day, will strongly disagree with your 'factoid'.

waitress/waiters also work on their feet during their shift. where we dine, most of these workers are middle-aged.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:11 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Quote:
That's pretty sad - but I know you are not alone in that particular world view. Barnum and Bailey as well as the world's oldest profession figured all that stuff out long ago.

But my take is that you wouldn't have a fulfilled life...one way or another, it would come back to bite you in the butt.

I think many of us might take the one million (in the old day) to do a Playboy shoot...but these days given what you have to show (and the smaller payments), I think many would be somewhat ashamed when their kids and grandkids googled them.
Real power is knowing how the game works without getting too personally or emotionally invested in it.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:17 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Factoid - one cannot stand on their feet all day as easily as they age.....

Now...I've never went to SB or any other coffee place for the "sexy females", but I do notice some women at these places working at a pace I could never sustain...nor imagine older people sustaining.
This. While I'm not defending the ageism, the practical matter is, working at Starbucks as a barista and/or cashier is a young person's job. Anyone who's gone there and watched what the employees have to do should have observed the tremendous amount of energy the job requires. Sometimes I see older people there who seem to do OK, but many times I've got there and seen older people who just cannot really keep up the pace that the younger people do.

It's almost like professional sports, once you hit the age of about 35 you start to get washed up.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:20 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I think experienced nurses who participate on this forum and work on their feet all day, sometimes 12 hours straight in a day, will strongly disagree with your 'factoid'.

waitress/waiters also work on their feet during their shift. where we dine, most of these workers are middle-aged.
It's not just the standing on the feet. It's the multitasking, walking back and forth, plowing through a long line of drinks as fast as possible, etc. It's just a really high energy job, much more so than at your average restaurant.

Even at a lot of busy restaurants I notice the waiters and waitresses are mostly younger people. Slower restaurants seem to have more middle aged people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies