Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
These people hadn't voted in years and ignored notices to respond if they still lived at that address.
There was only ONE notice to respond, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I moved out of Ohio 3 years ago. Received 2 such notices which I didn't bother to respond to. So wife and I are probably 2 of those 7500. I just pitched it. As I recall the notice was more along the lines of asking us to confirm that we no longer resided in OH and to rescind the registration. But I wasn't going to go out and buy a book of stamps just to snail mail reply with the obvious when they apparently have my new address in a different state.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I moved out of Ohio 3 years ago. Received 2 such notices which I didn't bother to respond to. So wife and I are probably 2 of those 7500. I just pitched it. As I recall the notice was more along the lines of asking us to confirm that we no longer resided in OH and to rescind the registration. But I wasn't going to go out and buy a book of stamps just to snail mail reply with the obvious when they apparently have my new address in a different state.
If not a SASE I'd sue on the basis of it being a tax.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
works for me.... I go to the range regularly

What Amendment in the Bill of Rights, is called the right to vote?

If voting wasn't just a state right and the constitution only forbids voter gender discrimination, they may have a point.

The right for me to defend myself, my family and my property can never be denied, by the text of the 2nd amendment.
There is no amendment that guarantees the right to vote. It is a privilege that can be taken away and would only apply to citizens, not ALL people.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What Amendment in the Bill of Rights, is called the right to vote?

If voting wasn't just a state right and the constitution only forbids voter gender discrimination, they may have a point.

The right for me to defend myself, my family and my property can never be denied, by the text of the 2nd amendment.
There is no amendment that guarantees the right to vote. It is a privilege that can be taken away and would only apply to citizens, not ALL people.

I fully agree
Quote:
There is no amendment that guarantees the right to vote. It is a privilege that can be taken away and would only apply to citizens, not ALL people

==================

but

I actually think they may be onto something (they dont realize it though)

my right to marry...I have to BUY a license …...

my right to BUY a gun, but still have to BUY a permit....

so lets make voting(a right?) by permit... let's see if they would like a 'poll tax' like they have put on our other rights

Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
These people hadn't voted in years and ignored notices to respond if they still lived at that address. All states need to do this. They also should connect Social Security death notices to voter registration so people are automatically deleted. We need to restore integrity and transparency to elections.
How much work or expense did it take to keep these people on the rolls, next to nothing. So what is the problem you are solving since three was little to no expense. All these decades we allowed these voters to remain and in the last 10 years there is suddenly an issue.

All for removing people that move or deceased from the records but why this sudden interest in people that don't vote.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:

so lets make voting(a right?) by permit... let's see if they would like a 'poll tax' like they have put on our other rights
You do not have to buy a permit to buy a gun. You do not have to buy a license to marry. You have to buy a license to access government benefits associated with their approval of marriage. You do not have to have their approval.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
I fully agree

==================

but

The supreme court has already ruled on poll taxes.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How much work or expense did it take to keep these people on the rolls, next to nothing. So what is the problem you are solving since three was little to no expense. All these decades we allowed these voters to remain and in the last 10 years there is suddenly an issue.

All for removing people that move or deceased from the records but why this sudden interest in people that don't vote.
because people do die.... and others will say they are this person.. and the poll workers dont know

because people do move.... and now they are registered in two places....and poll workers dont know, and people DO vote more than once

my boss brags about it all the time....grew up in Belmore (and registered to vote there)… now lives in Manhasset and is registered there too, ..brags how he can (and according to him, does) vote twice... two different towns

now is he lying or fibbing...who knows.....but I aint no freaking rat

Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The supreme court has already ruled on poll taxes.
yes and doing so stated that a right can not be taxed (or fee'd)...yet liberals have implemented (unconstitutionally no less) taxes and fees on other rights

maybe now you get the point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies